shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone else want color in their e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberJEB

Shiny_Rock
I have had a few people tell me on various boards that the rings that I tend to like, with sapphire sidestones, don''t look e-ringy enough. I know I should get what I want, but I also want it to be obviously and e-ring.

So, does anyone else want colored sides or center in their ring?

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Hi Kimber,

My fiance'' made it clear that she did not want anything but diamonds in her e-ring, but I must admit, there is something beautiful about well cut sapphires next to a brilliant diamond.

The e-ring should be all about your style as it is an advertisement of "your" status as an engaged woman.

I wouldn''t worry about what other people are saying about it looking less "e-ringy", and concentrate on how you can create something beautiful that accents you and your style.

Good luck!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t, and while I don''t think they look as e-ring-"y" as, say, a diamond solitaire... who cares? I don''t think three-stone rings look as e-ring-"y" as a diamond solitaire, either. Do you think that''s going to stop all the ladies on this board who have phenomenal three-stone rings?
1.gif

Get what YOU want, it''s your ring, right?
2.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
I'll second the thoughts that you should get what *you* want. My ring doesn't look like a traditional e-ring either - I've been asked if it's actually an engagement ring, then people ask me if my fiance picked it out on his own... wrinkly faces and all.
19.gif

If you love sapphires and diamonds together, there's NO one out there who should try to convince you to get something other than what you want. I think they're perfectly lovely and have seen a number of STUNNING e-rings that have both stones in them.

Personally, I looked at a few vintage rings that had both sapphires and diamonds. They were lovely, but I loved the setting that I had picked out, so solitaire it was!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Kimber: On another note, I love the ring which you posted (asscher with sapphire and setting with the swirl) it looks awesome! I think that rings with color definitely look like engagement rings! Even if the ring has a gemstone as a center stone, if it is on the engagement ring finger, then it is an engagement ring.

Oh yes. Princess Diana''s engagement ring was an 18 carat oval sapphire, surrounded by diamonds. So I think sapphires definitely work. Untraditional but very cool!

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
A college friend of mine just got engaged with a sapphire with diamonds pave band. Its beautiful. She had heard that sapphires were the original engagement stone and that''s why she liked it, besides already liking the stone. Another has a 3 stone with 2 sapphires...so beautful as well. I agree with GG that 3 stones and colored stones mixed in aren''t really my idea of an engagement ring, but they''re all so popular right now...I guess that''s the beauty of having so many options! Every girl can get something that she LOVES instead of having to conform to one convention or another.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I would love to have a sapphire accent on my e-ring, but the BF does not share this idea. Since we''re having it custom made, maybe I can sneak some little ones in.

KimberJEB

Shiny_Rock
LOL - trust me it''s not that I WOULDN''T get what I like based on others opinions, it''s jsut that...I do REALLY want to have people see my ring and think "oh, she''s engaged". But shoot, since my little blue topaz ring in 2 tone 10k gold used to get me "are you engaged questions", I guess a diamond (or fake diamond) between a couple of sapphires probably wouldn''t be a problem.

Oh - BF loves sapphires, and is kind of set on getting me a ring with them (can you tell he is opinionated...decorating our house has been...interesting, lol). Clothes he could care less about, but for some reason paint colors and art for the house and my engagement ring he has a LOT to say about! He doesn''t like solitaires or pave, likes sapphires, etc. I like so much it is OK that he is this way, b/c if he WASN"T getting rid of some ideas, I would have 27 choices. LOL.

Anyway, thanks!

njc

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I LOVE LOVE LOVE diamonds and sapphires together!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

For those that say the colored stones dont look e-ringy... just remember the whole "e-ring has to be a diamond" thing was created by Debeers in the 1950s. E-rings were commonly other stones with diamonds as the accents (just like alley said about Dianna''s)... i say go for it! Untraditional, but only by the last 50 years. If you like it, thats all that matters. And who cares if someone doesnt think its e-ringy... they are probably just jealous!
2.gif

My mother has a three stone with sapphires and a diamond in the middle... it looks great! Im hoping for a sapphire wedding band. As a matter of fact, lately ive been thinking, even with how much i love my diamond solitaire, a sapphire in my setting would look knockout too and kinda wish i had gone for that (can only imagine the HUGE saph FI could have gotten for the $ spent on the diamond).

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have many friends that have sapphire side stones with a diamond in the center. I think they make the diamond really pop!! Get what you want, it''s your ring afterall!!
1.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine has a princess cut diamond with princess cut sapphires on each side - it is LOVELY!

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Do what you want, and screw the nay-sayers!!!
36.gif
I LOVE diamonds and sapphires together too, and I think they''re becoming more popular and recognized as "e-ringy" than they were, say, 5 years ago. A fellow grad student''s ering is a gorgeous sapphire center with sapphires and diamonds on her wedding wrap. My mom has sapphires on her wedding ring. A friend from college''s ering is a sapphire b/c her DH didn''t want to support the diamond mining industry. They''re becoming much more popular that you might think!

Appletini - what about surprise sapphires??? I think that would be AWESOME!

shelbell

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I have been lurking for a while after finding PS a couple months ago. I just had to jump into this one because I am currnetly considering resetting my EC with sapphire sidestones. Does anyone have any pics of diamond and sapphire rings?? Any suggestions for shape of sapphires with my EC??

I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the pretties!

KimberJEB

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any pics of diamond and sapphire rings??? LOL - I have a TON!
If you'll give me your email address I will send them to you, way too many to post here...
Or you can email me, if you don't want to post your emial here...Kimberjeb @ hotmail.com (no spaces)

Ok, never mind...just loaded them on my msn groups photo page...this is all the diamond/sapphire rings that I have saved (well, they aren't ALL diamond/sapphire, but most of them)...
Saved Ring Pics

But, for fun, here is my current favorite:
118149-vtasscher2.jpg

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
This is my 25th anniversary ring, but I often wear it as an alternative e-ring. I love it. It sits well next to a wedding band and I think that it looks absolutely beleivable as an e-ring. In the UK sapphires have traditionally been one of the main choices for e-rings.

I second what the others have said, go for what you two like.

25thannivring.JPG

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
I have a sapphire and diamon promise ring and regularly asked if I''m engaged. I don''t think ppl pay as much attn to what the stone is, but more to which finger the ring is on. Although I wear mine on my RIGHT ring finger.
20.gif
Anyways, I love the diamond and sapphire combo...something very classic and elgant about it. Like everyone else said...if you like it..go for it!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I say go for it too!! It''s not my personal taste for an e-ring (though it is my bf''s favorite--his mom has an oval 3 stone w/ diamond and sapph sidestones) but I LOVE the idea of having sapphires in a wedding or anni eternity band.

There is no right answer--it''s about what speaks to you!! And Apple, I''ll say it again, I just LOVE the idea of sapphire pave or suprise diamonds!!!

shelbell, how about sappire traps for your EC? Or something else step-cut to complement your center stone?

Bagpuss, WOW!! That is gorgeous!!

Imagine this ring with ovals and that''s what FMIL has....

engagement_three_diasapphtiff.jpg

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I just have contrarian taste anyhow, and for the longest time thought the LAST thing I wanted was any kind of round diamond solitaire, or anything that DID look "e-ringy". I just thought "boring!".

I''ve come around and can appreciate why people get really traditional e-rings now, but still think I might want a fancy yellow radiant engagement ring.

I don''t get this whole "does it look e-ring like" thing. You will tell all of your friends and family that you''re engaged, and they''ll know the reasons you chose the ring you did....and why do you care about anyone else?!? If random strangers see a nice ring (or ANY ring) on your left ring finger, they''ll probably assume you''re engaged, or ask, and then you''ll confirm that you are.

I get wanting a simple or classic ring because you''re worried that YOU will get sick of it if it involves colored stones, or you''re worried that it''s trendy and will look dated later or something, but I have never understood this concern that it be very clear to random strangers that the ring is an engagement ring.

Someone please explain!!!??? I''m just curious

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results