shape
carat
color
clarity

Does anyone else cut the pockets out of their pants?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I''m laughing at this thread too... because I buy a lot of my work pants at Talbots and they don''t HAVE pockets! It drives me nuts! True, it looks better, but I can''t walk around the office with my bathroom key in my pocket. I can''t just stick some cash in my pocket to run down to CVS. It''s just weird.

If your pants come with pockets that are sewn up, its ok to remove the threads, provided they are real pockets... they sew them up because they hang better but if you need them, use them. Haven''t you seen that in jackets? It doesn''t mean you aren''t supposed to use the pocket, just that it takes a little more effort!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha Sum -- the lack of pockets is WHY I buy so many of my pants at Talbots!!!

I do know what you mean about not having anywhere to put things though.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol sumbride, i don''t even use the pockets i have on my clothes because i don''t like ruining the line of my pants or jackets or whatever with bulk. we walk over to starbucks all the time here from work and i just take my little coin purse with me and hold it in my hand. the one thing i do is tend to stick a tissue into my jacket pocket but only if its a bulky jacket, or i fold it flat then put it in. hehe.

Rosebud08

Rough_Rock
I''ve never *cut* the pockets, but on some dress pants, I have had the pockets sewn together... If that helps.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2007 1:23:13 AM
Author: diamondfan
that is when you could scream!

I also have a peeve about white shirts that are see through with no way to wear a bra...but that is another thread!!!
White pants/shirt remedies.

For pants...get the SPANX footless shaping hose in nude. Yes you can wear them in hot weather --- they are sooooo soft, comfy & absorbent-- and they make you look perfect, and you don't wear underwear, since its built in. I do not wear white pants without my nude spanx. In them, you are 'covered' and nobody will know a thing about what's going on under those white pants.

For shirts, you can do a few things.

Wear a nude bra that matches your skin tone. I was always wearing white bras under my white shirts, until this kindly older salesladay at Nordstrom's grabbed me aside & shoved a Wacoal nude bra in my hand and made me try it on. I am forever indebted to her. LOL.

If its more sheer than that allows, I'll wear a nude (or skin toned--depending on your skin color of course) bra/camisole combo. They have them in all sorts of fabrics, with underwires built in or not...Spanx makes some too. (love their fabric, so soooooft).

And if its just whisper sheer, I give up, wear a cute white camisole top (not underwear) that's meant to show, and leave the shirt half undone so the cami layer is meant to be part of the ensemble.

HTH.

As for getting white clean...Oxyclean rocks if your item is washable.

Jeannine

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Instead of just cutting off pocket liners, you could cut off only the parts of the liner that extend past the "fashion" fabric. This will be all of the lower liner (lower liner meaning the pocket liner that is closest to your skin) and the part of the upper liner (upper liner meaning the pocket liner that is closest to the pant) that extends past the pocket opening. Then sew the upper liner that remains to the fashion fabric at the pocket opening. You end up with a very small pocket and no chance that anything will fall through. It''s big enough for a key or credit card.

I do this for pants that inexplicably have very long pockets. Even if pants are loose fitting, I don''t like long pockets. They are annoying if you put anything in them and then have to reach way down to get it! Some people, even when at ideal weight, have muscular thighs that bulge forward or nice rounded booties. Pocket liners are going to show through even when the pants fit properly. A quick stitch and you can shorten pockets to any size you want.

As for pockets being sewn shut, sumbride is right; they do it so that it hangs better in the store. (I also once heard it''s to keep bugs out of the pockets during overseas shipping but that''s probably a myth.) I always open up the pockets in jackets. I hate purses and love to go out wearing jeans and a blazer. One jeans pocket gets a credit card, the other a key, cell phone in blazer pocket. I couldn''t live without pockets!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results