shape
carat
color
clarity

Does Anybody Understand This Website?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I suspect I''m missing something here, but I don''t understand http://www.oneworldgemstone.com/.
33.gif

Are these things for sale? Are they just a "let''s show off our latest creations"? What the heck is it?

If I see something I like, how do I buy it? Or is it for a faceters club? Why am I supposed to post a comment? Who does comment? I don''t see any comments . . .

It''s kind of frustrating, because the layout doesn''t lead me logically to purchase. Is it supposed to? I think it''s not for buying, so what is it?

I don''t get it . . .
33.gif

IMHO this site doesn''t communicate.

I''m sure someone connected with this site will explain it to me . . . talk real slow . . .

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
iLander. The site is a showcase for custom cutters. It is meant to show off their latest and greatest cuts and provide a way for people to find great artists.

A visitor can then be redirected to the cutters website to make a purchase. You can do this by looking on the left side of the description where it shows the faceters website. Some of the gems are for sale on OWG but some are already sold, the description will usually state this.

If you want to comment on photos then I would suggest visiting http://customgemstonestudio.com/photo-forum/ which is where the same stones are showcased with others and people can comment.

I hope that helps answer your questions

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
From the artist-information page -

"One World Gemstone is a unique web site to showcase and promote the work of custom gemstone artists and related jewelry artists from around the globe. Roughly 75% of the items featured on the site are reserved for custom faceted gemstones, the other 25% may be any other jewelry or gemstone related item. Items featured may range from gem rough to the custom faceted gemstone to art jewelry, and everything in between.

"One World Gemstone warmly encourages artists, from the novice to expert, to feature their individual work on this new website. To facilitate submissions and to introduce artists to the site, the first two submissions, including artist profile and large format photos of your work are published gratis.

"All of the work through 2009 has been photographed by myself, but starting in 2010 high quality photographs of custom cut gems may also be featured.

"Through the One World Gemstone site search engine you will quickly find all the offerings in your specific area of interest.
If you are viewing these pages in search of a gemstone to purchase, I encourage you to contact the artist directly. Many of the items are for sale or represent the artist’s work. Each and every artist on these pages wholeheartedly welcomes inquires."

pocadot

Rough_Rock
iLander, if you click on "One World Gemstone Information" link located on the right hand side of the home page, it explains it very well. After clicking on this link, the links to the individual artist''s homepage will be displayed in a list on the left hand side.

I think this site is a good way to collectively showcase gems from a variety of lapidary artists. It says that you are encouraged to contact each artist directly if you are interested in purchasing any of the gems. Hope that helps, and if you''ve figured all of this out yourself already, please disregard this response
21.gif

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
iLander, OWG is a really nice site.. Quite refreshing really to have a website that is not all in your face as a commercial entity but the main purpose of which is to showcase and promote excellent lapidary artists. Since OWG doesnt sell pieces it does give you links to the artists for you to contact directly. The format of the website changed a little a month ago but even then it was clearly a labor of love and not a retail site. I saw a stone on there when I first discovered it that I liked and I contacted the cutter and bought it. And I love it (though I know some who would think it is too dark and possibly brownish). It is a mali garnet cut by david dawson and it is joyful and mysterious and fantastically colored and dispersive.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way - have you noticed that almost all artists featured there are "our people?"

iLander

Ideal_Rock
@ Jim: okay, I think I confused myself by having custom gemstone and one world open at the same time. I wasn''t helping myself.

@ flygirl: thanks for pointing that out, I think it''s kind of a long way to go to find basic info, though.

@ pocadot: I''m glad you showed me the way, I didn''t bother to scroll down and all I was getting when I clicked on the names was artist''s statements, which wasn''t what I was looking for. I also think it would be helpful to have the names of the artists next to their company names (at the bottom of that page) so it''s easier to put two-and-two together.

@ vapid: I agree it is quite a lovely site, but I was just looking for a quicker read on the info. It doesn''t need to be in-your-face, just a little more clear

@ crasru: I know their our people, that''s why I wrote the post. If the general public stumbles onto this site, they''re going to wander around for about 2 minutes without knowing what it is, lose interest and leave. I''m trying to be helpful.

I know selling is not the major push for this site, but money is money and I think ultimately, every faceter''s dream is to sell all their stones quickly and easily. Maybe it''s as simple as having the artists link (say, the one under the stone picture) go directly to the stone on their site, rather than just the home page of their site. Because then you have to wander around the artist''s site to find the stone in question.

I''m just sayin'' . . .

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Writing from Tanzania:

Thank you everyone for the very kind comments.

Roger Dery and I are currently in Arusha Tanzania, we just arrived late last night from the mining fields near Voi Kenya. It was a bumpy seven hour trip across the frontier type border crossing.

I luckily stumbled upon this thread, with intermittent internet access, from the New Safari Hotel. I will take a very close look at the suggestions on return to the U.S. - I suspect there might be one or two changes in the months ahead to incorporate several of them.

Kind Regards,

Jeffrey Hunt

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Wot, no Lisa?

Stay safe Jeff and Roger.

Oh, and bring me back somfink nice!

XX

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I go in December :) I''m a once a year to Tanz kind of girl. Besides, I''m still working through the material from January! Just finished a blue/red colour change Garnet from Kenya.
Safe home guys!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi everyone,
Our final day in TZ, tomorrow we prepare our export papers, and then hop on our Boeing 777 back to Amsterdam. Would love to be in the front cabin with those lie flat seats this time around.

Even though Jeff noted the bumpy seven hour ride, and the ''frontier-type-border-crossing'', it does not really describe how vulnerable we felt during this time. I am bringing 6 to 7 others on my next trip to east Africa in January, and am fearful once they learn of what we went through, they may choose another area of the world.

And I don''t blame them, as I may have chosen a different arrangement had we''d known ahead of time.

Best to all....

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
And folk wonder why some of these gems cost what they do.

Thank God for pioneers like you guys.

XXXXXX

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results