shape
carat
color
clarity

Does AGS grade all cuts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect they would, but they don't.

AGS has the tightest cut standards for rounds and princesses.
I can just pick any AGS 000 and be guaranteed of a pretty super cut.

So AGS paper is more sought after (and a good cut means more rough is polished away) so AGS stones are priced accordingly.
These stones must be purchased by a very small group of educated buyers.

As a result only the best-cut rounds and princesses get sent to AGS.

But what about all the other cuts?
I imagine AGS would be happy to accept the business, but don't get much.
Is this true?

In practice do other cuts get sent to AGS?
Is AGS considering developing standards for aschers, emerald, cushion and other cuts???

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ags does grade all shapes, they just don't give cut grades for all of them. as you mentioned, currently only rounds and princess get cut grades. i believe square emeralds are next in line.
2.gif

not many people have heard of ags. that combined with the strictness of the lab grading has stones, especially fancy shapes, being sent to more forgiving labs where you get just a paper and not a pedigree.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGS will grade any diamond, regardless of the shape, but will only provide a cut grade on rounds and princess cuts at this time. Sometime in April possibly at their AGS Conclave in Florida (where the lab will celebrate its 10th anniversary) they will release their parameters for the most recent shape, the square emerald. I am not clear if they will release the rectangular emerald at this time or if that will follow later. I believe the next stone after that will be the oval.

These things are constantly delayed by the incredible amount of work that they take to do, literally millions of images have to be created and then actual stones have to be observed, and the fact that Peter Ynatzer, one of their truly brilliant researchers is also the head of the AGS laboratory and is constantly traveling around the world instead of being left alone to play with his rocks.

Still, the turnaround time on a gem is five days or less, so many people are starting to send diamonds to them simply because they do not want to wait for the two to three weeks that it takes for a GIA document.

We shall see, but it will not be a quick or easy journey.

Wink

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks

Wink, is the rectangular emerald another name for the asscher?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hi again kenny
35.gif

rectangular emerald is the conventional emerald cut.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results