shape
carat
color
clarity

Does adding Rhodium plating change ring size?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dajust

Rough_Rock
Even though I want platinum for duability I like the exteme shiny white of rhodium. Will it decrease the ring size or is the coating so thin it doesn''t matter. FYI I''m talking about a 4-5mm mens comfort fit. Does anyone know a web vendor that sells platinum wedding bands already rhodium plated?

Thanks

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
You won''t notice a size difference...just shine...

dajust

Rough_Rock
What does a polished titanium ring look like compared to a rhodium plated platinum ring. Titanium is vert stong I hear. Is it more scratch resistant? What I really want is a durable scratch resistant and shiny bright white looking ring. I don''t need the bragging rights to say it''s platinum.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For the lost part, titanium rings that I have seen are satin finish rather than shiny, chrome like, looking that comes with high polish and rhodium plating. Titanium will keep its finish a very long time, but rhodium and the precisou metals under it will not stay bright polished if they are being worn. In a relatively short time, a bright finish gold or platinum ring, rhodium plated or not, will scratch up a lot more than titanium would. I don''t believe it is a common practice to plate anything onto titanium as it would rapidly wear off anyway.

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Do people rhodium plate platinum very much????

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have never met a person who can rhodium plate rings - but there is a guy who says he can bend spoons.

Rings do get smaller when you plate them - just like rooms get smaller when you paint them
31.gif

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Garry is in rare form today/night !!!!
20.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have never met a person who can rhodium plate rings - but there is a guy who says he can bend spoons.

Rings do get smaller when you plate them - just like rooms get smaller when you paint them
6.gif

dajust

Rough_Rock
Gary,
I was acually looking for serious coments re my question. I''m not stupid. I know adding material makes a ring smaller. the question is, does it make a difference of at least an 1/8 of a size, or not.
Painting a room makes no noticable difference. I''m aware of that.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Ok... this non expert rekons that plating the ring would add maybe 5-10ìm to thickness of the ring... thats 0.005mm-0.01mm added to the thickness... so it the rings internal diameter was 15mm after plating it would be 14.99mm-14.98mm diameter.

so like Garry said... tis like painting a room - makes no decernable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results