shape
carat
color
clarity

Does a 2ct Asscher appear smaller than a 2 ct Round?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 11:27:57 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
Storm- have you had these probelms yourself when polishing Asscher diamonds?
Nope but sure have talked to cutters who had that problem cutting SE gemstones.
Its a simple matter of math and clearences.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
With all due respect Storm- I disagree. Diamond cutting is rarely "a simple matter"
The best cutters use what they''ve got to make the most saleable diamond.
Are some damonds tougher to cut? Yes. But that is not neccesarily material in the decision making process, as long as the cutting design is feasable- and clearly, shallow crowned Asschers are feasable.
If the rough leads the cutter to a shallow crown in order to get to the result, that''s what the cutter will do- or maybe they should polish off 30% more to increase crown height????Not likely.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2005 11:47:50 PM
Author: diamondsbylauren
With all due respect Storm- I disagree. Diamond cutting is rarely ''a simple matter''

The best cutters use what they''ve got to make the most saleable diamond.

Are some damonds tougher to cut? Yes. But that is not neccesarily material in the decision making process, as long as the cutting design is feasable- and clearly, shallow crowned Asschers are feasable.

If the rough leads the cutter to a shallow crown in order to get to the result, that''s what the cutter will do- or maybe they should polish off 30% more to increase crown height????Not likely.

shallow crowned asschers also suck they lack fire.
now lets look at the bottom end.
The pavilian has to go from the width of the diamond to a sharp point.
That takes some depth to do that in a way that returns light instead of leaking all of it.
Now add in that you want steps and each step has to have enough angle difference that you dont trash the one above it in the process.
That adds more depth.
bottom line it is easier to do with deeper diamonds which is why the older ones were very deep.
With modern tools and models they can be done shallower in the pavilian but if it isnt done to higher tolerences than the deeper ones they suck and suck hard.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
David I just checked out your website and if you have access to so many awesome spready shallow asschers where are they?
This one at 63% is shallow but well...

dbl57a.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
VS this one at 67.2%

dbl93d.jpg

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Storm- what a great converation.
Let''s look at the two stones you''ve used as an example here.

The .57 ( shallower stone) is proportionally a lot less money than the deeper diamond, which I agree, looks better.
But that''s this case. I''ve seen plenty of stones in the low ''60''s which looked awesome.

Why don''t we have more asschers in the low ''60''s?- simple Storm. Asschers, as an article, are not common- neither 60%, nor 75%.
I seek out well cut asschers- and they are hard to find.

Storm is it ok to tell people their diamonds suck?
I''m not talking about my diamonds- if you want to put down my stones, please, take your best shot.
But what about the other people out there who may have awesome 60% Asschers.
WIth all due respect, is it really ok to tell them their diamonds suck?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
David,
Have you even read anything Iv said about asschers?
I always stress they have to be seen.
But certain combos are more likely to get you nice looking asschers than not.
Its playing the odds.
Order in 10 67%-70% deep diamonds and more of them will be good ones than ordering in 10 60%-63% asschers if there are any good ones in the 20 which isnt a given.

I was just talking to a fellow consumer that spent $50 having a vendor call in an asscher that had good numbers and it sucked bad.
So you dont have to tell me how rare good asschers are.
What im saying is that good shallow asschers are even less common than good deep asschers.

When AGS gets their SE cut specs done that may very well change and if Paul starts cutting them then there will be some totaly awesome ones on the market.
But that at best is months if not a year off.

A while back you had a cow because someone said to look for a combo in a cushion thats near impossible to find.
Nice or better shallow asschers are even more rare.
Until something changes in the market its a disservice to get peoples hopes up on finding a nice shallow asscher.

If someone comes on here and says I bought a 60% deep asscher with blah blah blah numbers what do you think of it. Id say post some pictures and we can talk.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/18/2005 1:17:15 AM
Author: strmrdr
David,
Have you even read anything Iv said about asschers? I promise to try and read it all Storm
emotion-5.gif

I always stress they have to be seen.
But certain combos are more likely to get you nice looking asschers than not.
Its playing the odds.
Order in 10 67%-70% deep diamonds and more of them will be good ones than ordering in 10 60%-63% asschers if there are any good ones in the 20 which isnt a given.
Storm, can you rub 10 two carat Asschers together? Maybe where you are it''s possible, but it''s really difficult here in the NYC diamond district- there''s simply not a whole lot of them around.

I was just talking to a fellow consumer that spent $50 having a vendor call in an asscher that had good numbers and it sucked bad.
So you dont have to tell me how rare good asschers are.
What im saying is that good shallow asschers are even less common than good deep asschers.

When AGS gets their SE cut specs done that may very well change and if Paul starts cutting them then there will be some totaly awesome ones on the market.
But that at best is months if not a year off.

A while back you had a cow because someone said to look for a combo in a cushion thats near impossible to find.
Nice or better shallow asschers are even more rare.
Until something changes in the market its a disservice to get peoples hopes up on finding a nice shallow asscher.
Storm, I do not advocate buying diamonds based on numbers, and never have.

If someone comes on here and says I bought a 60% deep asscher with blah blah blah numbers what do you think of it. Id say post some pictures and we can talk.
quote from earlier in this thread... speaking of which: not a long time ago Whiteflash had a 2 carat D-IF square step cut on their list. A tremendously beautiful cut a hair less than 60% deep. Unlike the other similar examples, that one came with sarin and IdealScope (by the book, IS, btw.) ''Bet they keep records of what goes through the website. end quote

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results