shape
carat
color
clarity

Doctors keeping a CC on file - is that OK with you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that leaving your CC# not such a good idea...but I can understand why some places are asking for it...I have never been asked...

I have always been asked for my SSN and My husbands SSN (since I am on his insurance now)...it is what is on our insurance cards

And recently (we just moved) we have had to fill out 'applications' to be accepted into the practice...I was a wee bit miffed when I first heard about it...but then I tlked to the office and they need to do it to 1) make sure you are seeing the doctor who can best address your problems, and 2) to avoid people 'doctor shopping' to get 'drugs'...

It was easy enough to do...and we got appts right away...but an extra step someone drug seeking might not take

Not everyone asked for it...

and we have been asked for ID to make sure we are the insured parties...not someone just saying we are...

Steel

Ideal_Rock
CJ...I waited by the phone...you never called
39.gif

Alexis - I actually NEVER thought of that. I am surprised that credit checks didn''t dawn on me. Thank you for posting that info.

Yup, I agree with the others, no credit card number from me. I would explain why though as when/if you pay by CC in the future, let them know they are not authorised to retain the number officially.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
The answer in NO!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2009 6:28:13 PM
Author: Steel
39.gif

Alexis - I actually NEVER thought of that. I am surprised that credit checks didn''t dawn on me. Thank you for posting that info.

Yup, I agree with the others, no credit card number from me. I would explain why though as when/if you pay by CC in the future, let them know they are not authorised to retain the number officially.
I was going to call you now - I figured we''d hang out all night and then I could sleep over your house.
11.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Strm--- your comment about the legally binding contract you sign when you are seen in the can and more than likely WILL hold up in court because you are not under duress, you are seeking treatment for an ailment.

We frequently take people to court over them and their bills. One waiver that you sign states that you will pay if your insurance will not cover certain things.

Your insurance can decide not to cover things that are "not reasonable or customary" or "not medically necessary".

One sheet you also sign is a HIPPA agreement, or a Medicare Beneficiary Notice, once you are admitted with Medicare you are financially responsible for your Medicare Deductible...(FYI-- for 2009 its $1,068)....

It also depends on what state you live in....

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 7:41:44 PM
Author: CJ2008

39.gif
I was going to call you now - I figured we''d hang out all night and then I could sleep over your house.
11.gif
Eeek!
23.gif
Sorry...I''ve...em...um...moved.
31.gif
Yes...thats it..I''ve moved.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2009 8:05:45 PM

Date: 1/3/2009 7:41:44 PM
Author: CJ2008

39.gif
11.gif
Eeek!
23.gif
Sorry...I''ve...em...um...moved.
31.gif
Yes...thats it..I''ve moved.
ahahahahahaha

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2009 7:59:01 PM
Author: ~*Alexis*~
Strm--- your comment about the legally binding contract you sign when you are seen in the can and more than likely WILL hold up in court because you are not under duress, you are seeking treatment for an ailment.

We frequently take people to court over them and their bills. One waiver that you sign states that you will pay if your insurance will not cover certain things.

Your insurance can decide not to cover things that are 'not reasonable or customary' or 'not medically necessary'.

One sheet you also sign is a HIPPA agreement, or a Medicare Beneficiary Notice, once you are admitted with Medicare you are financially responsible for your Medicare Deductible...(FYI-- for 2009 its $1,068)....

It also depends on what state you live in....
they can and have been thrown out here as being signed under duress/undue influence.
They are considered information sheets and not contracts here.
They have removed a lot of the stuff from them like min collection fees and interest on past bills to fit the rulings.

The hospital don't need a contract to sue someone over a bill.

Arbitration clauses have also been thrown out.
Doctor and or doctors representation/patient is one of the base case law cases for undue influence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undue_influence
They are invalid under 2 classic rules of law that are pretty much universal state to state. duress and undue influence.
Would be interesting to take then out on the grounds of Unconscionability.
They will fit that also in some cases.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2009 7:59:23 PM
Author: strmrdr
go and leave all your credit cards at home.

A lot of doctors are using outsourced billing as well as transcription to India, China or Korea.
I interviewed with the US arm of one such company and the network security was appalling.
Do not give them a CC number.
Very good point!I never give out my social security or credit card numbers except in very few siuations!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results