Do your pets have allergies?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okie_girl|1333596688|3163846 said:
missy|1333577869|3163582 said:
Okie_girl|1333564388|3163423 said:
hoover|1333563912|3163415 said:
I stick the Benadryl pill on a dab of peanut butter or inside a piece of cooked steak.

A friend of mine gave her dog his meds in a pill pocket until he figured it out and started eating the pocket and left the pill behind. Then she switched to boiling chicken hearts and stuffed the pills inside the ventricles.

I've seen pill pockets at the vet's office and at pet stores... Maybe kitty will take that easier than forcing a pill down?

Good suggestion, Hoover, but mine figured out the pill pocket, too. It worked really well for about 2 days, then he did the same thing- ate all around the pill. I guess I need to find something delectable to wrap the pill in. He loves chicken and cheese, so that might do the trick.

Okie, I might have missed this but have you ever tried "pilling" your cat? It is easy once you have the technique down. You just grab the scruff of their neck and pull back a little bit only, open their mouth (usually it is already open when you pull their head back but just in case you need extra space) with your first 3 fingers and then put the pill as far back as you can. It is easier than it sounds once you get the hang of it. Make sure you follow this with food or water so the cat doesn't get an esophageal inflammation.

Good luck!

Missy, I've sort of tried this, but I really think the problem is a little me, a little my cat. I know he hates taking medication of any sort, so I get all nervous and tense, which doesn't make things any easier at all! I think I need to be quicker about popping the pill in, and not quite as tentative about it. You'd think I'd be a pro at it, as many cats as I've got! Thanks for the advice, I'll practice!

If memory serves me correctly (and that's assuming a lot these days LOL as I am chronically sleep deprived) it was difficult in the very beginning and you're right. It became easier as soon as I became "tougher" with them and was firmer in my handling. As in no nonsense. I see how the vet handles them and went from there. I had little choice as they needed pills every day for a long while at one time and no other technique was as effective (for me) as simply pilling them. It was fastest and most efficient. You just have to be careful they don't spit it up when you're not looking LOL. These cats can be very sneaky! And smart! That's where the water/ food come in to play. It was difficult when I first started but as I got more assertive it became a breeze. And believe me, my kitties can be little monsters!! :bigsmile:
I just brought them for a check up and was told I have to start brushing their teeth...all 4 of them...oy vey!
:errrr:

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
My dog has several allergies and the same foot licking problem. I finally had him allergy tested and he is allergic to carrots, sweet potatoes, beets and corn, all very common in sensitive stomach/skin foods. He was actually allergic to the prescription medicine the vet put him on. He is also allergic to a lot of trees as well as cotton fibers (towels!). He is prone to yeast so I bathe him with a yeast counteracting shampoo once a week and he does a round of prednisone when he really starts chewing. I find the benadryl makes him a different dog and I won't use it anymore. Plus, it never seemed to help. I know the pred is not great either, but it really works.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
One of my dogs is allergic to poultry. I have found 2 types of Beneful without poultry and several types of treats without poultry as well.

It's a bit of a hassle to find things he can eat ... no flavored raw hides for him! He is so much better without itching all the time though!!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I have two springer spaniels and while one has no allergies, my older one does. During the spring and summer, she has pollen allergies and her nose gets extremely crackly and dry and is constantly running. She also had an allergy to the food I was giving her so I switched to California Natural and she has never gotten a reaction.
During pollen allergy season, I give her half a baby Benadryl and put some organic cream on her nose that I got for her paws. This seems to do the trick.

hoover

Shiny_Rock
My dog has had a round of prednisone too (that time he was super itchy, his whole body was red, and felt hot to the touch). It made him so thirsty all the time and it's been years since he's been off it, but he still chugs water like no tomorrow. We were pretty close to putting him back on prednisone this time.

Most of the snow has melted away, and it rained for several days. It looks like he's scratching less. His ears are finally healing now after he had scratched them up so badly. I found myself diving down to cover his ears when he was scratching them (which hurt!). We've been able to skip the benadryl for almost a week now :appl:

He's still licking his legs a lot though. And it's weird licking now, too - a couple of days ago, I was in the kitchen and heard him licking for a long time and I checked on him (he was in the living room). I busted him licking the couch! There was a huge wet spot, and I was like, huh? :confused:

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Could just be a licking habit to give him something to do? Or something to keep him occupied? Also, I clean my dog's ears out once a week or so with a liquid ear wash, then a atop if necessary. It seems to really help.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I am guessing you've tried a cortisone spray? That works for my Bichon when she gets hot spots due to itching from allergies, chewing, etc. My parents have a Bichon that has allergies as well..she gets a pill every day 2x a day (not benadryl, it's something from the vet) and they also recommended what Haven said (to wash the paws down and dry them off after going outside). My mom said it's a pain, but it really did work. Hope you get it figured out soon..so rough to see them be all itchy and uncomfortable!

D

Deactivated member 42515

kenny said:
Our dogs are allergic to human dander so they make my SO and I live in the backyard now.
We aren't allowed into the house, ever.

I'm just thankful they didn't take us to the pound or rehome us.
hahaha! Was reading thru this again and I guess I never saw Kenny's post before! I'm waiting for some Mexican takeout and it made me crack up out loud. Embarrassing :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results