shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you wear your killer diamond to weddings?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only killer diamond that I own is my e-ring and I never take that off so yes, I do wear it to weddings. If I had other diamonds, I would consider wearing them too if they went with my outfit.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
kenny said:
JewelFreak is that beautiful creation in your avatar yours? Do tell.

Don't I only wish, Kenny! It's a Graff piece, auctioned at Christies a few years ago. I have a huge-and-getting-bigger jewelry-box file where I keep pics of pieces that blow me away. Graff, David Webb, Dunay, Heymann Bros., Schlumberger/Tiff, old Cartier, Winston, old VC&A are my favorites, plus some antique jewels. I open it up when I'm cranky & honestly, it fixes me right up! Coming here ditto.

--- Laurie

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
Kenny, you're obviously very proud of the Octavia you purchased and you've posted a few threads inquiring about the etiquette of wearing it in different social situations (such as around lower income family members). Try to stop worrying and start enjoying! IMHO, unless someone struts in with a pageant tiara on their head, no one is really noticing a diamond (no matter how nice/special/beautiful).

Exactly!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl said:
Nashville said:
Kenny, you're obviously very proud of the Octavia you purchased and you've posted a few threads inquiring about the etiquette of wearing it in different social situations (such as around lower income family members). Try to stop worrying and start enjoying! IMHO, unless someone struts in with a pageant tiara on their head, no one is really noticing a diamond (no matter how nice/special/beautiful).

Exactly!

Just what I was thinking too.

All of our rocks are really small things. I don't know anybody why has a diamond 2cm's +? Even that is tiny in the scheme of things... Unless you have to pass through a diamond scanner on your way into events nobody will even know you are wearing it of if you left it at home.

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
No I don't think it's rude.
There is always going to be someone else with nicer bling.

As long as you don't wear a white dress at the wedding or a white suit - I think you'll be safe. :)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
random_thought said:
lyra said:
Not rude at all Kenny. I would not wear white or black to a wedding, but heck yes with my bling such as it is. What I have is more than my social circle except for my MIL and my BIL's wife....

Wha...wait! You can't wear black to a wedding?? I've never heard this! What is the reasoning behind it? I've worn a black dress to a wedding as did some people to mine and it didn't seem to bother anyone. I also had a cousin wear a white sweater dress to our wedding that I didn't notice until I saw the pictures lol but that didn't bother me either :)

I'm old. These were the rules of days gone by. :bigsmile:

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra said:
random_thought said:
lyra said:
Not rude at all Kenny. I would not wear white or black to a wedding, but heck yes with my bling such as it is. What I have is more than my social circle except for my MIL and my BIL's wife....

Wha...wait! You can't wear black to a wedding?? I've never heard this! What is the reasoning behind it? I've worn a black dress to a wedding as did some people to mine and it didn't seem to bother anyone. I also had a cousin wear a white sweater dress to our wedding that I didn't notice until I saw the pictures lol but that didn't bother me either :)

I'm old. These were the rules of days gone by. :bigsmile:

I think it's an old rule too. The "little black dress" has become classic evening attire for women. I own a few myself (Jones New York offers an extensive selection of them every season) and I've worn to them to all kinds of affairs, including weddings. I've never felt like I was wearing the wrong thing.

I would never wear white or ivory though. Those colors are reserved for the bride and that would be in bad taste.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
gemgirl said:
I would never wear white or ivory though. Those colors are reserved for the bride and that would be in bad taste.

Unless, as somebody mentioned earlier, it's a sweater dress or suit. Especially if it had color accents on it. Only a bride wearing a knit wedding dress would mind that. :loopy: Too dissimilar to compete.

--- Laurie

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
In the UK it's extremely common to wear cream or white or ivory to a wedding - cream and oyster are particularly popular for MOB or MOG outfits - as long as it doesn't look like a wedding dress I don't see the problem.

I had no idea that it was frowned upon in the USA till I joined PS.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Pandora said:
In the UK it's extremely common to wear cream or white or ivory to a wedding - cream and oyster are particularly popular for MOB or MOG outfits - as long as it doesn't look like a wedding dress I don't see the problem.

I had no idea that it was frowned upon in the USA till I joined PS.

I think the difficult arises because of the wide variety of commonly available bridal outfits from a trouser suit to a sheath dress to full on princess gown. Is it ok for me to wear a white/cream long sheath dress to a wedding? I don't think it is. I depends on what the bride wears, but because that tends to be a secret how can one know if she is about to upstage the bride. I think it is best to avoid the cream/white palette altogether.

That said, I agree that Mother of the Bride/Groom can tend to wear the cream/gold colour, though, I haven't see white yet.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if my diamond is a killer, but I wear it every day and I am certainly not going to take it off for a wedding.

I don't really associate with people who expect others to use artificial means to help them feel better about themselves, though, so it's never really been an issue.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I never get asked to weddings!!!

AGBF
:read:

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I think it is disrespectful to assume that the bride will be offended by the bling that I wear. She's the one in the big white dress and veil. All eyes will be on her. I wear my bling wherever I like. It is meaningful to me and I choose to wear it.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I recall there was a thread where the PSer was a BM and the Bridezilla told her not to wear her ring because it was larger than the bride's. The consensus is that it was a ridiculous and nasty jealous request. No piece of jewelry could upstage a bride. If you would wear it any other special occasion where it to a wedding.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF said:
And I never get asked to weddings!!!

AGBF
:read:

I was thinking the same thing, but then again I'm not close to any younger people who are getting married, and my daughters are not quite old enough yet either. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results