shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you tip before or after tax when eating out?

How much should you tip?

• You should tip 20% on the total AFTER (including) tax.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other: I live in a country/place where gratuity expectations are quite different.

• You should tip 15% on the total AFTER (including) tax.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I typically tip 20% after tax, but can see the reasoning for not tipping on the tax. As long as service has been good, I''m fine with 20% on the whole amount. If it''s questionable, then I start to lower the percentage until I get to a point that I feel it reflects the quality of service I received.

sparklyheart

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm.. before this I had never heard of tipping before the tax! It makes sense to not include it but I just never thought about it.. I don''t think the tax makes *that* big of a difference when you''re adding it to the total and then taking 20% off.. Then again I don''t eat at pricey places!

I've ALWAYS tipped 15-20% after tax. Honestly, I've never ever ever ever heard of anyone tipping before tax..
33.gif
I mean, It's not a huge deal if your bill is $20.. but when it's getting in the $500-$2000+ range it makes a difference. But, to be honest, those bigger dinners/ events are usually spent on the lavish side, and my family is pretty wild (see: crazy), so they deserve the tip they get, which, in that case is closer to 30%+ after tax.

Edit: and when I say ALWAYS, I mean, when they deserve it. But it's ALWAYS after the taxed amount.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I learned from my dad that tipping is very important. Honestly, I don't subscribe to the 20% all the time. We always leave at least 20%. I tip regardless of the tax.

If our waiter/waistress is young or in college, we leave them more.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
I've been a server, too. 20-30% after tax unless the service was abysmal, then they only get their 15%, still after tax.

ETA: As Tacori mentioned, waiters and waitresses pay the hosts, runners, and bartenders. That, on top of these people having one of the most thankless jobs on earth, motivates me to cough up the cash. I liked working both fast food and retail better than I liked being a waitress.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/13/2009 5:00:34 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I learned from my dad that tipping is very important. Honestly, I don''t subscribe to the 20% all the time. We always leave at least 20%. I tip regardless of the tax.

If our waiter/waistress is young or in college, we leave them more.
Same here...my family is big on tipping...

20% after tax - more if service is really good, or, like penn, if waiter/waitress is young or in college.

I never used to leave less than 20% - but DH has had some influence on me - and we will leave less if the service is horrible (by horrible I don''t so much mean slow, but rude)

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/12/2009 12:35:44 AM
Author: brightlight
Wow, I feel kinda cheap now. I double the tax and round up to the nearest dollar, which turns out to be a little over 17% before tax. For exceptional service, I''ll add on to the 17%.
ditto.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
We never tip less than 15% after tax. Even for mediocre service.

If the service was not even worthy of being called ''service'', I''ll tell the manager exactly why I''m not leaving a tip for the server. If they''re really that bad, management needs to know because it drives off business. I''ve only had to do that once, but I would do it again if necessary.

For great service we will tip at least 20%, sometimes more. If I know the server (the daughter of a friend, for instance), I''ll give them about 25%.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Ok. I''m weird. I tip based off of time I occupy the table, how busy the restaurant is, and how many people will be dividing the tip... it has nothing to do with the total bill what-so-ever.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/13/2009 6:30:06 AM
Author: Julianna
I''ve been a server, too. 20-30% after tax unless the service was abysmal, then they only get their 15%, still after tax.

ETA: As Tacori mentioned, waiters and waitresses pay the hosts, runners, and bartenders. That, on top of these people having one of the most thankless jobs on earth, motivates me to cough up the cash. I liked working both fast food and retail better than I liked being a waitress.
Thankless is putting it mildly sometimes. Some customers can be just dreadful... BUT that doesn''t mean that a waiter shouldn''t do there job.

there was a hurricane down here and after the hurricane a select few restraunts were open. We went to eat and I overheard a table berrating a poor waitress because her food was taking forever. The waitress very kindly and politely said that "there was a hurricane and we only have one cook" to where the patron immediatly went off on her practically calling her an idiot and incompetant.

Needless to say we left her 50% (she was our waitress to and she was lovely and well mannered throughout the entire thing).

I was so close to saying something to that lady tho, some people have no class
29.gif

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I always tip 20% after taxes.

I''ve known some people who subtract the amount of drinks and say that they don''t need to tip on alcohol
20.gif
It drives me crazy when people have a nice meal, then act like they have to save money when it comes time to put down the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results