shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think this will work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Ok.. her eis my idea. What if I do light floors with this room? But I do not want to paint the wood. But I am going to remove the chairrail... do you think it will work alright?

I am not sure that I want to do floors the same color are the bookshelves b/c I am afriad that it will make everything look even more dark.

Here is the pic of the room

lightanddark.JPG

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is the color floor I am looking at..

lightfloor2.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
But the pic exmaple they give this color is

lightfloor.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I am going to tear down the chair rail and wallpaper and repaint the walls of course, But I was thinking of doing 2" wood blinds throught the house instead of curtains. But would I match the blinds to the bookshelves of the floors?

Or do you think I should do the darker floor?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
here is a pic of the dark blinds

woodblindsasfloor.jpg

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I wouldn''t go a different shade on the floor because I"m really picky and the two different color woods would drive me nuts. I''d probably go close to the same color as the shelves and then maybe put down some kind of area rug so the edges of the room wood floor would show. I have a sand colored berber area rug (if you wanted to brighten up the room) and it holds up surprisingly well under foot traffic.
I can''t say for sure if I''d go for the wood blinds. Might be too much wood for one room. I would for sure take down the chair rail, it makes the room look busy. I like chair rails in rooms with not too much going on but with so much focus on the fireplace and bookshelves there is really no need for the chair rail.
Just my two cents. Hope that helps!

lost on 5th

Shiny_Rock
well, your on the right track trying to lighten up the room. however there might be other options than relying on the floor finish. the wood is hard to tell w/o samples to layout in your room. even a different light source or saturated colors that would bleed onto the floor, would impact the match. try getting a sample. 12"x12" min. (a few boards)

you have a great layout at the wall w/ the fireplace. what it really needs is light! dont be afraid to work lamps into the boolshelves. the added light will help a LOT with the brightness of the room.

as for the windows. the blings would work.. but drapes or shiers that piull fully out of the window will carry more light.. are they for privacy? or sun?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2006 11:24:01 PM
Author: lost on 5th
well, your on the right track trying to lighten up the room. however there might be other options than relying on the floor finish. the wood is hard to tell w/o samples to layout in your room. even a different light source or saturated colors that would bleed onto the floor, would impact the match. try getting a sample. 12''x12'' min. (a few boards)

you have a great layout at the wall w/ the fireplace. what it really needs is light! dont be afraid to work lamps into the boolshelves. the added light will help a LOT with the brightness of the room.

as for the windows. the blings would work.. but drapes or shiers that piull fully out of the window will carry more light.. are they for privacy? or sun?

Well, the problem is lack of sun... we have a LOT of shade... A LOT of tall trees. Eventually we are going to cut them back and get rid of one or two (I know horrible Horrible.. but for now...)

The front windows... i.e kitchen and 2 bds. they are going to be needed to privacy.

I really wanted some of a less is more look with the windows and thought that the wood blinds would be a good match.. but I just do not know. I would rather stay away from curtains as I change my mind and get bored when having curtains... you know?

We do nt close until the 24th. So I am going to get some samples as soon as we close and take possesion.

The floor rug is a great idea. We were going to think about adding a rug anyway.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Mine...I think that floor will work nicely...it has a lot of different tones...and the darker tones in the light wood floor will compliment the bookcases...I would then get blinds to match the bookcases...

I do not think you should try to match everything exactly. That would be flat and boring. The different tones make it interesting and add depth...Pick the floor first and then you can always work on blinds later. One thing at a time and it will be SO much easier for you to pick blinds after you get the floor in!!!!

Have you ever thought of painting the brick white? Then you could paint the wood trim around the windows white and get white blinds to really lighten it up...but maybe that is getting away from the warmer/country motif/

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2006 12:37:20 AM
Author: moremoremore
Mine...I think that floor will work nicely...it has a lot of different tones...and the darker tones in the light wood floor will compliment the bookcases...I would then get blinds to match the bookcases...

I do not think you should try to match everything exactly. That would be flat and boring. The different tones make it interesting and add depth...Pick the floor first and then you can always work on blinds later. One thing at a time and it will be SO much easier for you to pick blinds after you get the floor in!!!!

Have you ever thought of painting the brick white? Then you could paint the wood trim around the windows white and get white blinds to really lighten it up...but maybe that is getting away from the warmer/country motif/
i agree with moremoremore, Mine.

movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like a den type room and imho they should be on the dark side.
Dark and comfy not airy and light.
I like it the way it is.
it looks comfy and inviting.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I personally am a fan of either extreme matching or extreme contrast, so my opinion is surely biased on that.

I wouldn''t put the lighter floor in there. Since that is a medium toned wood on the book cases, I would try to match the floor to that. But I do agree that more light is definitely needed in the room. I would put some recessed lights to focus on the fire place wall (because it''s so pretty!) & a really bright light fixture in the ceiling. I''d paint the walls a light, but rich creamy sand color. I''m not sure w hat kind of furniture you have, but I''d probably put a splash of color with that somehow (throw blanket or something).

I like the wood blinds - they are minimalist & I think a good solution for those of us who are not fans of window treatments!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I like the color of the floor and I think it will provide a nice contrast with the other wood. It is too hard to try and match all the wood perfectly anyway. We used a cherry laminate on our kitchen floor and hickory cabinets with both light and darker tones and it turned out great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results