shape
carat
color
clarity

do you think drinking plastic bottled water is healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Those are totally two different questions (between the title and the first post).

Yes, I think drinking bottled water is healthy, because it means you''re drinking water. I think way too many people don''t hydrate enough, and I think it''s much better to drink water than soda or something else that comes in the same type of bottle.

I don''t purchase bottled water, though, because I have filtered tap water at home, and I can just fill up my own bottle. Less wasteful, and my bottle is much sturdier than a plastic one.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
we don''t buy bottled water either - our tap water is fine, and we have a brita water pitcher that give us EXCELLENT water
1.gif
. we fill up reusable water bottles when we need it on the go.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a well. The water is cool, crisp and delicious! I preferred tap water in the city too.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2009 11:46:05 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
would you buy bottled water if you had excellent tap water ?
No. Wouldn''t buy bottled even then most of the time--would just get a Brita water filter.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
We drink tap at home and don''t use a filter. I think nyc has some of the cleanest water in the country. strange i know, but pretty sure it''s true. I am guilty of buying bottled when i''m out. it''s just so much easier.

on a side note- Gwen, i just noticed your signature, and that has to be one of my all time favorite book that i keep reading over and over.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread...

We drink tap water and refill our Kleen Kanteen metal containers each time we head out the door. From the research I''ve done, the standards are higher for tap water than they are for bottled water - hence tap is safer and cleaner water. Further, I can''t imagine spending money on something that is available everywhere I go - every single home, store, public park, etc. Plus, some of the elements in tap water are important to our health - fluoride for the kids teeth - you know, when I finally have some kids. (Some bottled waters have even added fluoride to their water for this very reason!)

But I loooove the idea of a home filtration system!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Florida tap water gives you the runs
emotion-41.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Before I moved here from the midwest in the ''70s I''d never heard of people drinking bottled water (this was Pre the individual bottle fad). Everyone drank from the tap whether they had city water or a well. Then in California EVERYONE purchased Sparklettes water (kitchen cooler w/5 gallon containers). I thought they were nuts? Not that water in LA tastes all that great but it''s not poison or something
20.gif

I''m not much of a water drinker anyway, but I cook with whatever is coming out of the tap. I''m still alive ''n kickin at 56.
9.gif

If I lived near a superfund site that had known water issues I might feel differently about it.

Yuppie bottles are just a waste of money and resources IMO.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I have a great plastic water bottle that has lasted forever and that I fill with water from the tap. So maybe that''s both?

In areas where it''s not safe to drink the water, I am all about bottled water. Otherwise, tap is just fine, thanks. The only time I buy bottled water is if I''m out and can''t get tap water. If the local water tastes funny, a Brita filter can fix that.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
The tap water where I live is unhealthy, actually tastes like battery acid - I drink bottled water, and my DH drinks the pur filtered water - but it has to be filtered. I can still taste the alkalyne (sp?) in the filtered water so I just drink Aquafina... which to me just tastes like water.

However when I lived in a different state w/ yummy tap water, that is what I drank w/o issue.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
We use a Britta - but no, I don''t think bottled water is healthier. I love the way it tastes, which means there''s probably something going on, so it''s actually the opposite for me. Plus, I feel guilty as heck when I get bottled water since it''s lousy for the environment.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was raised on tap water so I still drink it. I like bottled water for the easy access and portability, but I trust my city/town and I trust my water.

We have a filter in our fridge door, but that''s as close to Brita/bottled water as we get at home.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
bottled water is bad for the health of our environment
-producing the plastic
-manufacturing waste
-transport waste

bottled water is bad for our pocketbook
-creates an unhealthy dependency on PAYING for water. We are so blessed to live somewhere the water from our tap is drinkable and costs pennies.

bottled water is bad for our body''s health
-plastics leach into the water stored in hot transport containers disrupts our hormones and cellular health.

It is a completely consumer driven market, and we can end it!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
We have excellent tap water, so I drink that. I keep a bottle of water at the office that I refill, though.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
No, we don''t buy bottled water. We use a Brita filter at home.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
You gotta stop asking two questions at once.
9.gif

Do I think it is healthy? It is not completely free of cancer inducing chemicals, no. Are those chemicals in such quantities as to cause us harm? Probably not.

Would I drink tap water if it was good? Of course. I drink from the water fountains here at work rather than buy the bottled water.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2009 12:24:03 PM
Author: EBree

Date: 5/21/2009 11:52:18 AM
Author: elledizzy5
I drink tap water.

Bottled water creates excessive waste, and when the plastic is heated, in can release toxins into your water.

And even if YOU don''t accidentally leave the water in the car, who is to say that during the shipping process, it was not exposed to extreme heat?

This.

We use a refrigerator water filter. It only needs to be replaced once every few months.
same here,plus we got one of them Brita pitchers and we still buy some bottled water.
20.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I drink from the tap, use ice/water from the fridge with no problem whatsoever. DH will only drink bottled water. I think it is the convenience of it....I don''t mind since he used to NEVER drink water at all. We both need to drink lots of water for our health.

Lori

Viola

Shiny_Rock
I try to stay away from bottled water, the tap water where I live is very clean and has almost no bacteria halts, so I stick to tap water.

So to answer your question, I think it''s all relative, it might be healthier to drink bottled water in some countries, but it''s not necessarily the healthiest choice in other countries where the tap water is cleaner than bottled water.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m a big plan of the filtration systems. I don''t know if it''s really healthier, but it at least makes our water taste better. I still drink some bottles of water when it''s more convenient, but overall I use our Brita pitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results