shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think a v-day proposal is cheesy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brittany

Rough_Rock
Alright.. I have never had a boyfriend on v-day. I always wanted to spend V-day with the guy I wanted to marry and this year it''s looking like i''ll have a boyfriend.

Do you think V-day proposals are cheesy? Personally V-day never meant anything to me other than watching everyone else at work get flowers, candy, etc.

Anyone hoping for a v-day proposal?

Brittany

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think it''s cheezy and let me congratulate you for having someone special to celebrate V-day. Honestly for me V-day never meant as much until I met my bf. But love shouldn''t only be shown on V-day it should be shown every day. And to your question... nope... for sure I won''t get a proposal on V-day... bf told me that he would never propse on a holiday or some sort of day likeThanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines, Birthday, etc. (that''s too bad... I would love it on Christmas, New Years or my Birthday). However any day will be fine with me
2.gif
By the way... I give my beau flowers too... and I was surprised how he liked it the first time (and it wasn''t even V-day). Brittany have a lovely V-day with your bf.
1.gif

Brittany

Rough_Rock
I had never thought to give him flowers... (O: thanks for the suggestion.

I would love a holiday/birthday/occasion proposal. I think it''s sweet! He has to ask dad first- my only pre-req!

Brit

wcitygirl

Rough_Rock
Well, at this point, I would take a proposal at a funeral.... Just kidding. I don''t really think it''s super cheesy. I guess I would prefer another day, but whatever is fun. Am I hoping for one? Sure. Will I get one? Nope!
9.gif

I actually HATE having a bf on Vday. I never know what to get them. HOF -- that''s so fun that your bf likes flowers!!! If I bought my bf flowers, he would say: "Oh, did you buy these so i could give them to you?" He barely buys them for me, much less me buying them for him!!
7.gif
Oh well!

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Brittany: Pleasure... you will be surprised how men do like flowers too... they will never admit that they like it or ask a woman to get them flowers... but my bf admitted to me that he never received any flowers before and he actually loves it. Men are almost like us girls... just a little bit more macho I guess!
9.gif
And I agree with you... I would like him to ask my parents first... I know he will he is the traditional gentleman.
1.gif

Wcitygirl: LOL you crack me up... and how sad is it that some men think we are trying the reverse psychology on them... hey that''s an idea... let''s have a one and one with our bfs and tell them we are not interested in anything serious... definitely no marriage plans... we don''t like engagements and proposal stories... and we hate erings.
Uuuhhhhhhhhhhhh, wait let me think about that again... neah... I don''t think so... you never know they might believe it.
3.gif

wcitygirl

Rough_Rock
HOF -- That''s hilarious!! My bf would be like: REALLY? [Pregnant Pause, maybe some funny looks and then....] "That''s so great babe!!" Actually, I''m sure I''ll be drinking tonight with him -- maybe I should just blurt that out.
emcocktl.gif

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Wcitygirl: Keep me posted... have fun tonight... CHEERS... I have a date with my bf too.
9.gif

PS: By the way I just noticed you registrated into PS the same day and just about 20 min after me. Too funny
2.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''m not a fan of V-Day, period, so I do kinda think they''re a little cheesy.
41.gif
But I imagine if it happened to me, I''d love it anyway.

But no, it definitely won''t. Between my V-Day aversion and his holiday-proposal aversion, I don''t see anything happening.
2.gif

Too bad about his anti-holiday-proposal thing. I''d like a NYE proposal. Or a Saint Pat''s Day proposal. I love Saint Pat''s.
3.gif

denverkat

Rough_Rock
I second what xcitygirl said...anytime, anywhere, anyway is good enough for me, holiday or not. I would love a V-Day proposal, then again I''d love one tomorrow just the same.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
V day proposal. I think its sweet. Honestly, a proposal on almost any day is romantic. Even groundhogs day.

wcitygirl: At a funeral
28.gif
I think the deceased might haunt you on your honeymoon
31.gif

appletini

Ideal_Rock
V-day is one of my favorite holidays which is kind of funny b/c I am miss practical, but a hopeless romantic at the same time. However, I really wouldn''t want to be proposed to on this day, but I would love to be proposed to on my b-day, Christmas, NYE, or any other day of the year. I think b/c I want the proposal to have a special day all its own. Oh well I doubt I''ll have a v-day proposal, but I certainly wouldn''t complain if he did.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
I''m kinda of the opinion that Vday is for sweet little thoughtful gestures, but not necessarily huge romantic gestures, so it wouldn''t be my top choice, had I been given a list of choices or something... but, I would have definitely taken a proposal at any time of any day...

I got dumped the day before Vday by my last boyfriend and it was awful (I really thought he was THE ONE) so I kinda have a bad association with the whole thing. I had to call and cancel our romantic dinner reservations and I just couldn''t stop crying... the worst Vday ever.

Bryan has done wonders towards alleviating that negativity I have though, he always sends 2 dozen roses, etc. I usually get him and other people I love just small trinkets ~ I find some little decorated plastic bags and put candy (like pink M&Ms) and then just a little cute stuffed animal. This year I found a couple of stuffed pink and purple hippos (I love hippos) that are hugging, but when you put their noses together they make a kissing noise!!! So cute!!!

Now, I will say, please don''t anyone be offended, just my personal thing ~ I think Vday weddings are super duper cheesy... Is it just me? I just think it''s really corny and way too obvious or something... sorry if that is someone''s dream date for a wedding...

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2005 11:26:44 AM
Author: teebee
Now, I will say, please don''t anyone be offended, just my personal thing ~ I think Vday weddings are super duper cheesy... Is it just me? I just think it''s really corny and way too obvious or something... sorry if that is someone''s dream date for a wedding...

Me too.
41.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I actually do not remember the date that my hubby proposed on
23.gif
So I guess that would be one good reason for a Valentine''s Day proposal.

I''m a sucker for Valentine''s Day!! I''ve loved it since I was a little girl. Probably because my Mom loves it so much and made a huge deal of it. I was one of those girls who came to school with a cheesy valentine card for everyone in the class
41.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
I was proposed to on Valentine''s Day last year, at 11:45 pm, after we went to a Linkin Park concert.

Allow me to be blunt here...I think it is silly to obsess over what day you will be proposed on. If those of you who would not want to be proposed to on Valentine''s Day were indeed proposed to on that day, are you saying that you would say no? Likely not.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/22/2005 2:18:34 PM
Author: rms
I was proposed to on Valentine''s Day last year, at 11:45 pm, after we went to a Linkin Park concert.

Allow me to be blunt here...I think it is silly to obsess over what day you will be proposed on. If those of you who would not want to be proposed to on Valentine''s Day were indeed proposed to on that day, are you saying that you would say no? Likely not.
Hi Rita!

Your proposal sounds wonderful!! I certainly don''t think anyone meant to offend you by asking or responding to this question.

Nor are we saying that any of us would say no if we were proposed to on Valentine''s Day. I certainly would have said yes no matter what day, and said as much in my previous post to this thread. However, as silly as it may sound to you, this is a forum for those of us who are self-admittedly obsessed with getting engaged and all aspects of the engagement. So all of us chit-chatting about whether we''d prefer a proposal on a specific day or holiday is just a natural progression of our conversations.

What is great about this forum is that while we are all completely serious about our boyfriends/fiances/husbands and our relationships, this is a place where we are allowed to obsess over some of the more frivolous aspects of this part of our lives without being judged and made to feel as though we ourselves are frivolous individuals. I''m continuously impressed by the ladies of this forum ~ we all come from so many different areas of the world, different cultural backgrounds, etc. and yet we all manage to understand and empathize with each other and generously and joyfully share differing opinions, silly or not.
9.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
oops: double post...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
It''s true!! If we were to talk about holiday/event proposals vs. random day proposals.....and all the other minutiae we OBSESS about with each other to our non-LIW friends, MOST just wouldn''t get it, and this forum is SUCH a godsend! I have to remind myself not to go all "LIW" on people in "real" life! I was at a party the other night and was fuh-REAKING out talking about rings with a male friend of mine who is marrying his dear fiancee this month! He had such a cute casual while-brushing-teeth-proposal story, and then once we started talking rings it was over. I''m a NUT and have to be stopped sometimes!

So thank god for you gals, b/c I ADORE dissecting the silliest tiny details of the engagement, pre-engagement, pre-pre-engagement, post-engagement stressfest, etcetcetc.

And to toss in my two cents, I don''t think it''s necessarily cheesy. Maybe it''s kind of par for the course, but it would, of course, be romantic and a bit fat YES no matter when. I''d say YES and scream to wake up the neighbors on Valentine''s day for sure, but a random day would be almost more fun for me b/c then it''s a NEW holiday? My bf''s parents'' anniversary is 2/15 so it was sort of a valentine''s wedding.

I''d say yes WHENEVER--there was a vibe in the air for NYE and it didn''t happen. Which is ok. I think there are such high expectations for those days. Plus, given the length of engagement you want and what time of year you want to be married, February might not work as a starting-point for some.

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Hello to all the LIW!
I''ve really enjoyed lurking and keeping up with all of your stories as you wait for your proposals, I hope they come "girl" soon to each of you still waiting.

Sorry I just couldn''t pass this thread up.

We married on Valentines Day 2003, whooo hooo.....as cheesy as it sounds (and we initially agreed that it was, but that was just part of it''s charm) we''re both happy we went ahead and did it then because now we''re counting anniversaries! Considering the ulitmate goal of marrying my sweetie, any day would have been fine.

I''ve run into so many people that did the same thing, funny but they always hesitate to admit that they married on the big V-day but as soon as we all admit it then it seems like we''re in some private super secret marriage club. Crazy, I know, but fun just the same. I''d do it all over again too.

The date may be cheesy but our wedding by no means was. We had a classy little Black tie affair, just family, 17 people total in an intimate private club on the water, never mind that it poured so hard that night. We married at 7pm. There was incredible menu, Red Velvet cake, and red roses everywhere. Beautiful. Simple and elegant.

Best wishes to all of you, and to perfect weddings after your perfect proposals!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I feel the need to say first and foremost I''m not poking fun here

But did anyone else have that Barbie with the white ballgown that had red velvet hearts all over the skirt?

That''s somehow what I imagine I''d wear if I got married on that day.

However, the red velvet cake sounds delicious no matter what season - good thing it''s lunch time soon.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
ERIN!! YES!!!! I definitely had that barbie -- I loved it SO much, and I was never even that into barbies in general........ but for some reason that particular barbie with that poofy dress and those little velvet red hearts just made me very happy!!! :)

I agree with what Teebee and Blueroses said -- this is a GREAT place to be totally frivolous without judgement from others. I mean we can pretty much state our opinions on anything and everyone knows that it''s just a silly opinion on a silly topic that doesn''t even matter. As long as we aren''t in the business to hurt feelings or insult others in any way, then well I think we are ok....right?

I do kinda think vday proposals and weddings are mega cheesy -- BUT if I were proposed to on Vday I would love it and TELL EVERYONE that I was proposed to on V-day and I would love how silly and goofy and cheesy it seems --because frankly that''s how love is sometimes, right? Cheesy love is the best!! :) if you can''t be a dork with the person you love then how can you be having fun?

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 12:25:20 PM
Author: Erin
I feel the need to say first and foremost I''m not poking fun here

But did anyone else have that Barbie with the white ballgown that had red velvet hearts all over the skirt?

That''s somehow what I imagine I''d wear if I got married on that day.

However, the red velvet cake sounds delicious no matter what season - good thing it''s lunch time soon.

Holy crap I totally had that Barbie!! It was my absolute favorite!! How funny :) And my tummy actually growled at the thought of red velvet cake, mmmmmm
18.gif

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
((hugs)) teebee!!
1.gif

I think cnspotts said it best--it IS a little cheesy, but that''s part of its charm.
1.gif

heartsonfire

Shiny_Rock
Erin you're too funny. Yes, I had that Barbie too. Loved that poofy dress! And I also had the Peaches & Cream Barbie (layers of chiffon in peach... OK enough... LOL).

Ladies we are so lucky to have LIW... as I mentioned in another thread... I was lurking in some wedding websites and there were some rude people out there. That made me realize how lucky I am to have found you FINE LADIES IN WAITING here at PS. Thank you for listening to my dramas and letting me be cheesy or dorky or simply myself.

rms - we didn't mean to be rude or disrespectful, sorry if we hurt your feelings. We didn't mean to offend you. Sometimes we tend to forget that this is an open forum and anyone can read what we post. I guess Teebee explained it perfectly.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t have that Barbie, but I always wanted it. I met someone (can''t remember who) that went to a v-day wedding, and they liked it b/c they got to have the nice v-day dinner and get dressed up, but not spend any money on it.

I love that this forum allows me to openly obsess, b/c my friends would definitely think I''m a freak it I talked about this stuff with them all the time. Plus I probably would have driven the BF nuts by now too.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 2:47:39 PM
Author: SJS1234
ERIN!! YES!!!! I definitely had that barbie -- I loved it SO much, and I was never even that into barbies in general........ but for some reason that particular barbie with that poofy dress and those little velvet red hearts just made me very happy!!! :)

I agree with what Teebee and Blueroses said -- this is a GREAT place to be totally frivolous without judgement from others. I mean we can pretty much state our opinions on anything and everyone knows that it''s just a silly opinion on a silly topic that doesn''t even matter. As long as we aren''t in the business to hurt feelings or insult others in any way, then well I think we are ok....right?

I do kinda think vday proposals and weddings are mega cheesy -- BUT if I were proposed to on Vday I would love it and TELL EVERYONE that I was proposed to on V-day and I would love how silly and goofy and cheesy it seems --because frankly that''s how love is sometimes, right? Cheesy love is the best!! :) if you can''t be a dork with the person you love then how can you be having fun?
Amen ~ I often amaze myself with my own dorkiness, but I''m so happy I have someone to share it with!!!

Erin ~ OH, I loved that Barbie!!! Didn''t have one but I wanted her soooooooooo bad. I did have the kissing Barbie though, does anyone remember her???

I guess my negative association w/ Vday weddings comes from a cousin that got married on Vday and bless her heart, it was beyond cheese.... it was.... mold??? Sorry, I don''t know what to call "beyond cheese" ~ anyhow, there was hot pink and purple everywhere... but it made her happy and that''s all that mattered... until they got divorced... anyhow...

And, I will say, that since we don''t really do anything big on Vday or make a huge special day of it, I do think it would be (or would have been?) kinda cute to dig into a bag of M&Ms to find an ering!!!

I love red velvet cake... just thought I''d throw that in...
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results