shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you take off your shoes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Around here, it feels so weird to go to someone''s house and not take off your shoes. I think it''s because in the winter if you leave you shoes on you track snow and muck everywhere with you. So it''s just become a habit to take my shoes off when I enter a home.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I do feel it's weird to take off your shoes when visiting someone else because taking my shoes off is something I do privately in my own home, when I'm just lounging around and to go to someone's house and get all loungey is a little weird.
Also, no matter how clean the house is, the socks will get dirty and not only will I have to see the dirty sock feet but then I will be thinking I can almost smell them too. I don't even want to get started about being around naked feet either (especially men's). No thanks
14.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the host wanted me to take off my shoes then I would, but I wouldn''t automatically do it. I always wear shoes/slippers in my own house as well.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
I would respect whatever the host wanted, but I hate taking my shoes off and I''d prefer people not to in my house. We live in an old, cold house and have some stone and tiled floor - I fear that people would take away a lasting impression of icy cold feet! I have some Asian friends who have a box of disposable slippers at the door, which is imo generous and thoughful, as well as a strong but courteous hint that they''d prefer no street shoes.

One exception - I have a friend who visits with the toddler from hell. His shoes come off, because he can''t be dissuaded from climbing on my Edwardian furniture, the little sweetheart.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
If I walk into someone''s house and I notice that they''re not wearing shoes, I always ask if they''d like me to take my shoes off as well. I never wear shoes in my own house -- it''s not comfy.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I ask if the host if they prefer shoes off and if I happen to be without socks or tights then I ask if it is ok to be bearfoot.

I hate shoes in my house but it is not common here for others to take off their shoes when visitin so I have gotten used to shoes in my home but only the halls, kitchen or one sitting room.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Hmm ... it depends really. If I go over for a party with a bunch of people, no, I don''t take my shoes off. However, if I go over to a good friend''s house and we''re just hanging out, I''ll take my shoes off to be more comfortable. Also, I do have one or two friends who I know take their shoes off as soon as they enter the house, so I do too, even though I''m sure they wouldn''t yell at me if I left them on
3.gif

My except is if it''s cold - then I usually just leave shoes on so my feet don''t freeze.

We don''t make anyone take off their shoes in our house, but I find most friends do unless it''s a party situation.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I usually start to take them off, to wait to see if the host says "oh, you don''t need to take them off." If they don''t say that, I take them off. If they do, I leave them on because I''d prefer to have them on when I''m out (at home I''m always bear foot). Or I look to see if there are a pile of shoes already by the door if I''m one of many guests, etc.

I don''t ask people to take their shoes off at our place and tell them that if I see them taking them off.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since I live in a very warm country, where snow in unheard-of, it is absolutely expected that everyone will keep their shoes on. I had never heard of taking off one''s shoes as a visitor before reading about it in some american forums. This is something I would only do at the house of someone I was very intimite with (very close friend or family member) and it seems too informal for me (like changing into your pjs when you arrive at a friend''s house). When it rains, there is always a rough mat for wiping feet, as well as a clean floor cloth to dry them on (as mudding up your host''s house is a no-no!).

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s very interesting that most of you seem to prefer a guest to wear shoes over being barefoot! Sure it might be a bit weird if someone I didn''t really know well came over and ran around barefoot, but for any of my friends, I wouldn''t see a problem with it.

I''ll admit I''m going to think twice before taking off sandals or dress shoes at a friend''s house again.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
I was brought up to always leave my shoes at the door
and that''s the way I did things in my home.
I also did it when I was a private duty nurse in other people''s homes.
I am just uncomfortable wearing shoes indoors.
But I never ask anyone else to remove their shoes unless their shoes are wet
or muddy.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 7:34:44 PM
Author: Haven
Date: 12/5/2009 7:27:33 PM

Author: CJ2008

I like the idea of not wearing shoes in the house because of cleanliness...but somehow it''s a habit I can''t seem to develop.

Sometimes I''ll buy flip-flops that I mean to be ''inside-only'' and I always forget at some point and wear them outside.

I would totally respect someone asking me to take off my shoes at their house - but honestly, I don''t like it. I feel like people seeing my feet, or in my socks, is kind of an intimate thing, it makes me uncomfortable. And while the slippers are nice, I don''t like the idea that other people have worn them before me. If you think about it, that can be kind of gross for the person that has to wear them (even if they look clean and well kept, someone else''s feet were in them).

I agree with all of this.

I would never ask anyone to take her shoes off in my house, and while I am happy to do so in others'' homes, I prefer to keep my shoes on.

In snowy or rainy weather, everyone knows to remove shoes at the door, but when it is nice outside and I am often wearing only thin hosiery I am very uncomfortable being barefoot in someone else''s home. I''ve started carrying a nice pair of socks with me to certain homes, just in case they demand that I remove my shoes.
Ditto and ditto. Yes, in the winter, it''s really uncommon for me to wear shoes in my house or anyone else''s (one of my top 5 pet peeves it stepping in something wet when I''m wearing socks). But in the summer, I''m usually in sandals or flip flops and I''m not tracking in all sorts of nastiness. When FI and I bought our house a few months ago we had a discussion on whether we be a "shoeless" house. I said absolutely not. Unless they''ve got filthy soles, our guests are more than welcome to keep their kicks on.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I ALWAYS take my shoes off in someone''s house, unless it''s a disgusting mess. We always have guests take their shoes off when they come over. I am sort of neurotic about keeping my house clean, and I really don''t want to scrub the floors daily.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I keep my house very clean so I do ask that people take their shoes off. I actually don''t have carpeting in my house, a couple of area rugs for decoration are here and there. I also take my shoes off at other peoples houses. I just don''t want mud, dirt, grass, animal poo, etc. anywhere inside my home.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results