shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you take off your ring when someone wants to see it?

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
So I am new to wearing diamonds and since I am a guy, most of the other rings I wear are no big deal. But a few people have asked to look at my ring, then they ask me to take it off, is this normal? I don' t really mind, but I never see this being asked of brides or women, they usually just present the hand right? I'v been asked by both male and female friends to do this. It just seem weird, I have never asked anyone to take off their jewelery so I could try it on. I don't really care if its a friend, but what do you say to a total stranger at a party?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say no to a total stranger. To friends I do take it off and show them, also it is insured.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the situation. Sometimes I do, even for strangers if they're really interested. The cashier at my hairdresser recently went nuts for my blue spinel ring, & I took it off for her. If it's a crowded or hurried setting, I don't. For friends, only if they really care; mostly they don't (which is why I'm here!). Once in a rare while a friend will ask me to take it off; a stranger never has. I kind of take it as a compliment that they want to see it closer.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Interesting question. It never has dawned on me to think about it. Generally friends and coworkers are the ones interested and I am happy to take them off for them to see. The only 'strangers' are the NW PS gtg that I was fortunate enough to attend earlier this year. But I guess in this kind of forum we are 'friends'.

I guess new ppl that I have met I would be cautious of taking the ring off.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only remove my jewellery for close friends, family, and PS GTGs, no one else.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a friend/family or colleague asks I do.
Though the last time I did that the friend who was admiring it (she had just gotten engaged) dropped it! I can laugh now but I was a bit stressed at the time and she was like OMG don't hate me it's OK it's OK. Hahaha. I inspected it with a loupe and it was fine but still, not a pleasant experience. Made me rethink handing my ring over to anyone ever again.

If a PSer asked me I would be happy to take it off for them. I trust PSers.

A stranger has never asked this of me and if they did I would absolutely not hand it over. Unless they had a weapon of some sort and were robbing me. Then it's a no brainer. My life = much more valuable than any piece of jewelry.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1386931515|3573502 said:
I would say no to a total stranger. To friends I do take it off and show them, also it is insured.

+1 I think most of my best friends have tried on my ring.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty free with my ring and I do hand it over to total strangers (depending on their vibe and the setting of course). One time I even let the waitress at Red Lobster take it back into the kitchen to show someone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1386943796|3573563 said:
I'm pretty free with my ring and I do hand it over to total strangers (depending on their vibe and the setting of course). One time I even let the waitress at Red Lobster take it back into the kitchen to show someone.

OMG, DeeJay! You are too trusting... LOL I cannot imagine doing that here where I live. :o Thank goodness your gut instinct with whom to trust has been correct!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I will take off and hand my ring to friends, family and people in safe environments like the hair salon.
I even encourage the person who asked to see to try it on :)) It's fun to share the beauty of the piece with interested people.
I've found a few kindred spirits in my everyday life by admiring their rings or pendants. Now we talk diamonds when we run into each other. Always happy to add new members to the cult :cheeky:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on time and place, and the person who is requesting to see it.

I would not take it off if a complete stranger asks to see it when both of us are waiting to catch a bus for example.

DK :))

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hells to the no.

With friends ... look, they're all nice people, and I value their friendship, and that means I'd hate for it to be strained by the hassle of having to put in an insurance claim because one of them dropped it down a sewer grate. Back when I was still in the process of getting engaged, a jeweler let me bring half a dozen rings home to show my fiance, to help us decide, when my room-mate wandered by and asked to see one. It shot out of her fingers, bounced off the radiator, ricocheted off a wall, and the skidded across the floor with considerable force. I didn't even like that one, and the idea that I'd have to get it under the "you break it, you buy it" clause made me less than happy. Happily, the diamond lived up to its reputation for being the strongest substance on earth, and the ring was unharmed.

With strangers ... ahahahaha. I still remember back when I smoked, when strangers would eyeball my gold lighter and ask for a light. Oddly, they were all really disappointed when I gave them their own books of matches. Some got downright belligerent. Am I sure they had malign intentions? No, but I think they're at best weirdos for feeling miffed I wouldn't give them my expensive possession to handle,at worst, thwarted thieves. No bueno.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a "friend" ask to see one of my rings one time. This was middle school so it wasn't super nice, but it was a gift from my grandmother and worth substantially more than the "normal" stuff kids wear. The "friend" refused to give it back and then "lost" it during the day. The school wouldn't do anything. My mother took me to the police and they couldn't do anything because I had handed it to her so it was not considered stolen.

For a few close friends, I would take it off and let them see. Other than that, absolutely not. BTDT, don't want to try again.

The exception being PS get-togethers!
I suppose if there was someone I'd never met before and they left me with a creepy feeling (say pretty new to PS and not actively participating in showing something -- not like a regular PSer who was traveling or something so didn't have any with them). If we're all showing and enjoying then I don't see it as a problem.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Circe. I'd never take it off and hand it over for someone to inspect, since accidents happen - as she described. No one's ever asked me to take it off to get a closer look though, not even my family. I've never asked anyone to take theirs off, either.

If you feel awkward about saying no, you could just give them a big smile and breezily say, "Oh, it's far too precious to take off!" and then just hold your hand out so they can get a good look. That's what I'd do, anyway.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1386950661|3573615 said:
I had a "friend" ask to see one of my rings one time. This was middle school so it wasn't super nice, but it was a gift from my grandmother and worth substantially more than the "normal" stuff kids wear. The "friend" refused to give it back and then "lost" it during the day. The school wouldn't do anything. My mother took me to the police and they couldn't do anything because I had handed it to her so it was not considered stolen.

TooPatient, are you serious? What kind of kid behaves like that?? How awful.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope - I only let my DH try on my bling - and that's with me monitoring his every move!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I just hold out me hand. It's usually too swollen to yank the thing off anyway. :roll:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Andelain|1386953491|3573651 said:
I just hold out me hand. It's usually too swollen to yank the thing off anyway. :roll:

Heh, yeah, this is me, too - I like Smith's answer, but I usually either just go with, "Aw, I never take it off" or "Can't seem to get it off right now, darn!" I generally don't feel like having a philosophical debate about it, but for some reason, "Don't wanna, can't make me!" doesn't go over too well. Go figure ....

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
craighnt|1386929689|3573495 said:
So I am new to wearing diamonds and since I am a guy, most of the other rings I wear are no big deal. But a few people have asked to look at my ring, then they ask me to take it off, is this normal? I don' t really mind, but I never see this being asked of brides or women, they usually just present the hand right? I'v been asked by both male and female friends to do this. It just seem weird, I have never asked anyone to take off their jewelery so I could try it on. I don't really care if its a friend, but what do you say to a total stranger at a party?
I never take it off for anyone to see it, ever. Period. Ever. No exceptions. I have a hard time with this even with jewelers because they're often very rough with the piece and it makes me absolutely enraged and anxious. I don't trust anyone's hands enough to not drop it or slam it down, and no one treats my things with the care I do. I have only encountered one, maybe two, other person willing to provide my jewelry with the proper care it deserves, and she's the only one that I allow to touch my jewelry and I know she knows who she is. It's not just my rings either. I don't let anyone touch my phone, or anything of value to me, sometimes not even my husband, because he doesn't treat items the way I do and it pisses me off.

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Never.

1) I am anal about cleaning them and I hate seeing people touch the stones rather than holding by the shank.
2) I am always terrified someone will drop them on the floor. (You going to replace my pink diamond if it breaks? Thought not.)

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
ame|1386959558|3573722 said:
craighnt|1386929689|3573495 said:
I never take it off for anyone to see it, ever. Period. Ever. No exceptions. I have a hard time with this even with jewelers because they're often very rough with the piece and it makes me absolutely enraged and anxious. I don't trust anyone's hands enough to not drop it or slam it down, and no one treats my things with the care I do. I have only encountered one, maybe two, other person willing to provide my jewelry with the proper care it deserves, and she's the only one that I allow to touch my jewelry and I know she knows who she is. It's not just my rings either. I don't let anyone touch my phone, or anything of value to me, sometimes not even my husband, because he doesn't treat items the way I do and it pisses me off.

This. As I've got older I've become increasingly careful with my possessions, because I think the longer you live the more you realise just how expensive life can be and therefore how precious your things are. They can last three times as long with proper care. But my husband is very careless. I don't mind when it comes to his own things, but he'll treat our glass cooktop and other household things as if they're made of steel, and it annoys me too because these things cost money.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SB621|1386942949|3573556 said:
Skippy|1386931515|3573502 said:

+1 I think most of my best friends have tried on my ring.
Me too!

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
Just family and best friends (and maybe a PS GTG at some point :mrgreen:). If I don't want to take a piece of jewelry off for someone I'll just use my moms polite no: "Granny taught it's bad luck." ;-)

craighnt

Shiny_Rock
Well I am going to a holiday party next week where I will only know about half a dozen people. These people I trust. But there will probably be close to 100 people I don't know. In that kind of situation, I am not sure how to say no to other strangers. I don't want to come off as rude or pompous.

Sort of like when you get the newest gadget or phone. A real friend might ask to hold it in person, then the strangers next to them ask to see it and before you know it 5 people have passed it around like the town prostitute :naughty: . Maybe some people didn't even want to see it but they go with the flow of the group dynamic. "Oops, sorry I dropped your ring, you did say it was old something" :roll: These people will be drinking. :loopy:

Any good quips or responses I could give to avoid that? Or what would you do in that situation?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
craighnt|1386969583|3573835 said:
Well I am going to a holiday party next week where I will only know about half a dozen people. These people I trust. But there will probably be close to 100 people I don't know. In that kind of situation, I am not sure how to say no to other strangers. I don't want to come off as rude or pompous.

Sort of like when you get the newest gadget or phone. A real friend might ask to hold it in person, then the strangers next to them ask to see it and before you know it 5 people have passed it around like the town prostitute :naughty: . Maybe some people didn't even want to see it but they go with the flow of the group dynamic. "Oops, sorry I dropped your ring, you did say it was old something" :roll: These people will be drinking. :loopy:

Any good quips or responses I could give to avoid that? Or what would you do in that situation?

Honestly, if you already feel it may be an awkward situation you might want to consider not wearing it. As much of a shame as it is not to have the chance to enjoy your own bling the trade off could be avoiding a scenario that causes angst. Just give it a little extra love when you get home!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1386970387|3573839 said:
craighnt|1386969583|3573835 said:

Honestly, if you already feel it may be an awkward situation you might want to consider not wearing it. As much of a shame as it is not to have the chance to enjoy your own bling the trade off could be avoiding a scenario that causes angst. Just give it a little extra love when you get home!

I would totally want to wear the ring and if people ask for you to take it off just say that you would rather not. And if saying no makes you uncomfortable just say that your finger is swollen so you need to leave it on so you don't have an issue getting it back on. Definitely enjoy wearing it though and don't let other people make you feel like you can't.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never take my rings off to let anyone see them. I hold my hand out, but if they make a move to touch the jewelry, I pull my hand away. If it's a necklace that they start reaching for, I step back a foot or 2. I don't want anybody's goopy greasy fingerprints on my pretties. This also goes for my handbags.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I just hold out my hand so they can get a better look, but that's it.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
When I first got engaged I let my best girlfriends pass it around and I let my boss wear it for a couple of hours (she was a bit of an antique stone nut, too, and it was sweet and just kind of the way we were with each other). I asked my bestie to wear it while I tried on clothes because it kept catching on sweaters and it was fun to see it from the opposite perspective (we have the same ring size and she was sitting outside the dressing room, not roaming around with it on). I hold my hand out for strangers or jewelers. Otherwise, it's on my hand or in the box.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - if people ask you if they can try on your ring, just tell them it is too hard to take off your finger... most people totally accept that reason, and it is the truth - they don't have to know why it is too hard (it is too hard because you don't want to!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results