shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You See $1000 Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be the VVS clarity difference that has made the price higher. There can be a huge jump between colour and clarity grades. Also the VVS is a G colour so it will be more costly too than an I. As far as I know AGS is the only one with the Ideal grading for Princesses at this time, GIA are beginning to grade cut quality but this is new as of this year. Unless a VVS clarity is very important to you, you could drop the clarity a bit and still have an eyeclean diamond, just an option.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Yes...I have to agree with Lorelei. I wouldn''t want to pay for something I can''t see. I too would seriously consider going down in clarity.

Blod
35.gif

Allium

Rough_Rock
GIA is not grading cut on anything but standard round brilliants at this time. I definitely don''t think you''re going to see a difference worth $1000 between these stones in this size range. That $1000 can be put to better use.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
The difference is probably just the color and clarity jumps.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2c...

Re. 1k difference - the clarity grades would have no visual effect, the color - maybe, but very subtle - i.e. you would likely be the only one to ever notice. And if someone else insists comparing the I diamond with a D color or their brand new colorless CZ, they'd probably notice there is some difference. But that's a long shot, because these guys will stand out by a mile because of the cut - princess cut diamonds just don't get to look that nice unless they were meant to get the AGS grades! (sadly...)
2.gif

About cut grading: AGS does it, GIA not. IMO, the cut standards at Good Old Gold are more draconian than any lab would dare inflict on their customers (= not you, the cutters that send their stones to be certified!). Just ask for what they consider 'best cut'
9.gif
(with or without the demonstration!... although that is worth it's own reward especially if you plan to ever buy another diamond again).

jmm

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the advice.

JMM

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I too would not pay for something that can''t be seen. Now, one thing to keep in mind is the fact that AGS just started doing the princess cut grading. So, while some will disagree, there are BEAUTIFUL GIA graded princess cut stones out there (like mine!
2.gif
). And, if you choose a GIA stone you won''t be paying the premium for an AGS stone. Just a thought!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2006 2:23:07 PM
Author: researcher
I too would not pay for something that can''t be seen. Now, one thing to keep in mind is the fact that AGS just started doing the princess cut grading. So, while some will disagree, there are BEAUTIFUL GIA graded princess cut stones out there (like mine!
2.gif
). And, if you choose a GIA stone you won''t be paying the premium for an AGS stone. Just a thought!
Ditto
2.gif

jmm

Rough_Rock
"There are BEAUTIFUL GIA graded princess cut stones out there (like mine! ). And, if you choose a GIA stone you won''t be paying the premium for an AGS stone. Just a thought!"

When looking for more beautiful GIA princess cut stones, will I have to concentrate on the Ex or VG classifications of cut, polish and symmetry more or the exact dimensions of the diamonds themselves? Or both?

Thanks
JMM

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/22/2006 2:43:53 PM
Author: jmm

When looking for more beautiful GIA princess cut stones, will I have to concentrate on the Ex or VG classifications of cut, polish and symmetry more or the exact dimensions of the diamonds themselves? Or both?

As far as I know, the proportions is what counts, but for princess cuts lab reports do not give enough information to judge that (some six crown and pavilion angles I have no clue how to interpret off the bat). This is why AGS''s grades have some value - otherwise, it would be easy to match quality. It isn''t...

I am not an expert... and this is just my 2c. What exactly the AGS cut grades for princess cuts stand for and guarantee has been discussed to some length on Pricescope - you may find some older threads (the grades have only been released sometime last summer - there are farely new). The research sounds reasonable and the logic behind it can be applied to some extent without taking AGS''s word on a stone, but it isn''t very easy.

IMO, either a 3D Sarin or Helium scan of the stones (well, good luck getting them... unfortunately) can yield a ''guesstimate'' of brilliance. More easily, you could go for this sort of thing.

All in all, the headache is worth something. If anything, the AGS recipe for top princess cut is quite narrow and you may have nice surprises ''in the field'' so to speak.

About the Ex-Vg finish grades... IMO, they have little to do with brilliance and that is what shows in the end. Between the two, symmetry'' may have somewhat more substantial meaning than the polish grade, but you may want to consider brilliance first.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results