shape
carat
color
clarity

do you say....time for dinner or time for supper?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 6:17:28 PM
Author: Skippy123
I have always wanted to say Supper since it sounds fun; I never have though! hehe

I guess it is like do you say ''POP, SODA, or COKE?'' I say soda and sometimes coke, never pop! My dad says pop! hehe
It is dinner at my house.

Skippy, I have always said soda too. My kids get strange looks from their peers when they use it too.

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Supper is early dinner. Dinner is late supper- say from 730 onwards. Supper is always at home, but going out is always dinner. All dark carbonated beverages are coke all light carbonated beverages are lemmonade. Pepsi is pepsi-coke (I think this is an Atlanta thing from my mother's generation...) and the lemmonade is an Aussie thing. All meals or snacks past brunch can also be tea, cuppa tea, morning tea, or afternoon tea. Supper could also be considered a more substantial afternoon tea or a midnight snack. I was born and raised in the South East USA and have lived in Oz for years. We travel frequently. My children and husband say dinner or tea mostly but sometimes it depends on where we are in the world. I have heard my eldest teenager say supper while we are in the South. I usually just nod and smile.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Carbonated drinks are normally called by their actual name here - or called ''fizzy drinks''.

I''ll ask DH if he wants some lemonade/diet coke/ginger beer/whatever is in fridge.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always dinner.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
We normally say "Lean Cuisine or Subway?" :)

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Dinner, basement, and soda in NorCal.

For some reason, the word "supper" really annoys me.
19.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 6:22:25 AM
Author: Pandora II
Carbonated drinks are normally called by their actual name here - or called ''fizzy drinks''.

I''ll ask DH if he wants some lemonade/diet coke/ginger beer/whatever is in fridge.
Do people in England say fizzy drink? My hubby says fizzy drink but I thought he was the only one that said it; I should ask if he got that from his mum?!

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Australians also say "fizzy drink" so I bet he did get that from his Mum Skippy.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dinner, basement and Pop

But whats strange is if someone invites you to dinner.
mon-sat you show up at 5.
Sunday or a holiday - noon

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 7:32:49 PM
Author: Beth
Australians also say 'fizzy drink' so I bet he did get that from his Mum Skippy.
Beth, thank you! I was wondering! I just realized I call it soda, soda pop. We don't have basements here but I say basement; when I heard cellar I imagine wine down there. hehe
emcocktl.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
We say dinner, basement (because we''re from NY even though FL has no basements), and everything is coke...regardless of whether its sprite, pepsi, or Dr. Pepper LOL

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
It''s dinner time. Or if we are having a very fancy dinner like mac and cheese it is, "Dinnahhhh is served."

Carbonated stuff is soda.

No such things as basements here in So Ca!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Oddly enough, here in Central Texas, we say dinner; and in Illinois, we called it supper. Your right; in the South it is usually dinner at midday, and supper later. But not here.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 6:17:28 PM
I have always wanted to say Supper since it sounds fun; I never have though! hehe

I guess it is like do you say ''POP, SODA, or COKE?'' I say soda and sometimes coke, never pop! My dad says pop! hehe
Skippy:

Everything here in Texas is a Coke, regardless of the actual soda being drunk. Unless it''s a Dr. Pepper, because DP orginated in Waco.

In Illinois, it was pop. Not soda pop. Just pop.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know why we say dinner, since we rarely "dine". In the U.S. we usually merely "eat".

Even looking at the word "supper" makes me think Wassup?
2.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the time...
1-breakfast is before 11am
2-brunch is 11am-12noon
3-lunch is noon
4-dinner is 5pm-7ish
8-supper is a late dinner after 8ish
These are examples of times that my parents used at their hotels for menu changes at the resturants...a dinner club starts dinner menu at 5pm and a supper club will expect to serve clients late in the evening usually with entertainment on a stage.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 8:09:25 PM
Date: 8/17/2008 7:32:49 PM

Australians also say ''fizzy drink'' so I bet he did get that from his Mum Skippy.
Beth, thank you! I was wondering! I just realized I call it soda, soda pop. We don''t have basements here but I say basement; when I heard cellar I imagine wine down there. hehe
emcocktl.gif

We also say softdrink, and then like Pandora said ask which one :).

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
In SE Texas, we call the evening meal dinner/supper. It depends upon which relative you''re speaking with. We have no basements, but cellars usually contain wine and they are on the first floor. Everything carbonated is "coke." If we want a DP, we''ll ask for a DP once we''ve said that we want a "coke." Pop and soda are foreign words around here.

When I visited Ireland at Christmas of 1985, my host family asked if I would like "tea" and it was 8:00 PM. I said "sure" and 30 minutes went by. I was invited into the kitchen and there was a whole meal laid out for me. I had to eat the whole thing while the family of 8 sat and watched me. They had already eaten and all I wanted was a glass of iced tea. They didn''t serve iced tea, either. Also, when we went out to the Pubs, I ordered Screwdrivers to drink. They served "minerals" and vodka instead of orange juice. Very interesting!

Lori

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2008 5:29:03 AM
Author: loriken214
In SE Texas, we call the evening meal dinner/supper. It depends upon which relative you're speaking with. We have no basements, but cellars usually contain wine and they are on the first floor. Everything carbonated is 'coke.' If we want a DP, we'll ask for a DP once we've said that we want a 'coke.' Pop and soda are foreign words around here.

When I visited Ireland at Christmas of 1985, my host family asked if I would like 'tea' and it was 8:00 PM. I said 'sure' and 30 minutes went by. I was invited into the kitchen and there was a whole meal laid out for me. I had to eat the whole thing while the family of 8 sat and watched me. They had already eaten and all I wanted was a glass of iced tea. They didn't serve iced tea, either. Also, when we went out to the Pubs, I ordered Screwdrivers to drink. They served 'minerals' and vodka instead of orange juice. Very interesting!

Lori
' Minerals" is a very old fashioned term used in the UK in the fifties and sixties I believe, you used to see the sign Minerals outside old ramshackle cafes, Icecream vans etc at the seaside who hadn't bothered to remove them, I believe it means fizzy drinks.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 6:18:37 AM
Author: Lorelei

In SE Texas, we call the evening meal dinner/supper. It depends upon which relative you''re speaking with. We have no basements, but cellars usually contain wine and they are on the first floor. Everything carbonated is ''coke.'' If we want a DP, we''ll ask for a DP once we''ve said that we want a ''coke.'' Pop and soda are foreign words around here.

When I visited Ireland at Christmas of 1985, my host family asked if I would like ''tea'' and it was 8:00 PM. I said ''sure'' and 30 minutes went by. I was invited into the kitchen and there was a whole meal laid out for me. I had to eat the whole thing while the family of 8 sat and watched me. They had already eaten and all I wanted was a glass of iced tea. They didn''t serve iced tea, either. Also, when we went out to the Pubs, I ordered Screwdrivers to drink. They served ''minerals'' and vodka instead of orange juice. Very interesting!

Lori
'' Minerals'' is a very old fashioned term used in the UK in the fifties and sixties I believe, you used to see the sign Minerals outside old ramshackle cafes, Icecream vans etc at the seaside who hadn''t bothered to remove them, I believe it means fizzy drinks.
Thank you Lorelei! The orange drink was fizzy and reminded me of Orange Crush. It made for an interesting Screwdriver!

Lori

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2008 6:33:57 AM

Date: 8/18/2008 6:18:37 AM
Author: Lorelei

In SE Texas, we call the evening meal dinner/supper. It depends upon which relative you''re speaking with. We have no basements, but cellars usually contain wine and they are on the first floor. Everything carbonated is ''coke.'' If we want a DP, we''ll ask for a DP once we''ve said that we want a ''coke.'' Pop and soda are foreign words around here.

When I visited Ireland at Christmas of 1985, my host family asked if I would like ''tea'' and it was 8:00 PM. I said ''sure'' and 30 minutes went by. I was invited into the kitchen and there was a whole meal laid out for me. I had to eat the whole thing while the family of 8 sat and watched me. They had already eaten and all I wanted was a glass of iced tea. They didn''t serve iced tea, either. Also, when we went out to the Pubs, I ordered Screwdrivers to drink. They served ''minerals'' and vodka instead of orange juice. Very interesting!

Lori
'' Minerals'' is a very old fashioned term used in the UK in the fifties and sixties I believe, you used to see the sign Minerals outside old ramshackle cafes, Icecream vans etc at the seaside who hadn''t bothered to remove them, I believe it means fizzy drinks.
Thank you Lorelei! The orange drink was fizzy and reminded me of Orange Crush. It made for an interesting Screwdriver!

Lori
I bet it did!
40.gif
It was probably just some orange type soda such as Fanta or Tango, I can''t imagine that being good with vodka. Even if you ask for a vodka and orange in a pub, you should be given a bottle of fresh orange juice....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in the north eat of England and we say ''Teatime''. Tea refers to the meal not the drink. Not sure where that comes from.

My husband is from the south and he used to say ''Dinner'' but that means lunch here so he had to change to ''Teatime'' so the kids wouldn''t get confused.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I sure learned my lesson Maisie! What a shock I received when eating a full meal when expecting a drink! You should have seen the looks I got when asking for iced tea at restaurants....they thought I was crazy....LOL!

Lori

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie I''m in Australia and I grew calling the evening meal ''tea'' and the afternoon meal ''dinner''. Now, like most others I know, I call the evening meal dinner and the afternoon meal lunch and this is what I have taught my kids to say, but for some reason my parents think this is an example of giving myself ''airs and graces''
33.gif
Don''t know why, but somehow by what name you refer to the evening meal has become a class issue!!!

Seriously though, I''m comfortable with both, but for some reason I''ve just gotten used to saying dinner.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''m from Wisconsin and I always say dinner. I don''t think I''ve ever said supper.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If we say lunch and dinner here its classed as being a bit snooty. Crazy really!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/17/2008 5:16:32 AM
Supper is early dinner. Dinner is late supper- say from 730 onwards. Supper is always at home, but going out is always dinner.

I''m the complete opposite!
I''m Aussie, and to me, Supper has always been a late dinner, from about 9-10pm onwards! ( say, after the theatre)
Dinner would be the usual substantial meal, supper just might mean a late, perhaps somewhat formal, snack, such as scrambled egg and teacake, or similar.

cbs102

Brilliant_Rock
I grew up in North Jersey by way of RI and i say dinner
my fiance grew up in central pa and he says supper..

we fight about this all the time so he now calls it ''Dupper" and sounds likea moron..especially when he says it is public!

this reminds me of the argument that we had in college... they said Pop and i insist on Soda

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I hate the word supper!! No offense to anyone who uses it, my whole family uses it! It''s just one of those words I hate the sound of. I have one friend who hates the word "scrumptious," one who CRINGES like crazy if anyone says "nipple," and my sister can''t stand the word "sack," (even if talking about a purse/grocery bag). The word supper drives me nuts, so I say dinner
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/18/2008 1:15:39 PM
Author: Kelli
I hate the word supper!! No offense to anyone who uses it, my whole family uses it! It''s just one of those words I hate the sound of. I have one friend who hates the word ''scrumptious,'' one who CRINGES like crazy if anyone says ''nipple,'' and my sister can''t stand the word ''sack,'' (even if talking about a purse/grocery bag). The word supper drives me nuts, so I say dinner
2.gif
Now that would be an interesting thread.... what word makes you cringe!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results