Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have read that some do and some don't.
I guess egg-owners vary too. :mrgreen:

What do you do?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I do. I thought you needed to lol. I do a fair amount of hardboiled eggs too so thats part of it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's only if you have your own chickens, or buy fresh, unwashed eggs from someone who does, that you can keep them unrefrigerated until you use them.

When you buy refrigerated eggs in a store, you should definitely continue refrigerating them at home.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, buy them from the supermarkets or markets unrefrigerated and keep them unrefrigerated.

When raw eggs are required in a recipe, I would buy fresh ones and use them right away.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We buy a tray of store bought eggs a fortnight and i don't have room in the fridge

But i keep them as cool as i can and in the dark
Have not had a problem

Once they are hard boiled i do though

Down home we also kept jam or butter on the butter dish in the cupboard not in the fridge

But i do here because its warmer

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think eggs sold in the US are required to be prewashed by law. That means they must be refrigerated. Fresh, unwashed eggs have a protective layer around the shell and can be left out, but the rule is that once it goes in the fridge, it should stay there.

Other fun fact is that eggs should be stored pointed-side down.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Eggssolutely!

cheers--Sharon

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the grocery store, yes. Farm fresh, no, they still have the membrane on them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting.
Why?

In fact, there is: the reason it's smarter to store your eggs with the fat end up is that the egg itself does not completely fill the interior of the shell. If you crack open a hard-boiled egg carefully at the fat end, you will see that the white part of the egg, called the albumen, does not quite reach the shell there's a pocket of air in-between the two. That isn't the case for the narrow end of the egg, which fits snugly.

That pocket of air allows for the presence, and reproduction, of bacteria. This is not to say there's something wrong with your egg: any chicken egg will have the air pocket and some measure of bacteria inside it. The trick, then, is to keep the bacteria as far as possible from the yolk, which is much more susceptible to bacterial infection. Albumen contains bacteria-killing enzymes while yolk does not. In other words, the yolk is more perishable than the white.

If you hold the egg fat end down, that air pocket has a tendency to rise not completely through the egg, but enough to reach the yolk. By storing eggs fat-end up, the pocket of air stays away from the yolk, and the egg stays fresh longer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In fact, there is: the reason it's smarter to store your eggs with the fat end up is that the egg itself does not completely fill the interior of the shell. If you crack open a hard-boiled egg carefully at the fat end, you will see that the white part of the egg, called the albumen, does not quite reach the shell there's a pocket of air in-between the two. That isn't the case for the narrow end of the egg, which fits snugly.

That pocket of air allows for the presence, and reproduction, of bacteria. This is not to say there's something wrong with your egg: any chicken egg will have the air pocket and some measure of bacteria inside it. The trick, then, is to keep the bacteria as far as possible from the yolk, which is much more susceptible to bacterial infection. Albumen contains bacteria-killing enzymes while yolk does not. In other words, the yolk is more perishable than the white.

If you hold the egg fat end down, that air pocket has a tendency to rise not completely through the egg, but enough to reach the yolk. By storing eggs fat-end up, the pocket of air stays away from the yolk, and the egg stays fresh longer.

Thank you! :clap:

Instead of just blindly accepting what I'm told, love understanding things.
That's why I'm always asking, "Why?", and refusing to just accept things without reason and proof.

This is something that some religious folks have never found particularly (shall I say?) charming about me.

Last edited:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I was so surprised the first time I saw un-refrigerated eggs at a grocery store in Europe. My family in the US who had laying hens always put the eggs straight into the fridge, so I never thought twice about it.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Like most, I just do what they do in grocery stores...if something is refrigerated in the store, I refrigerate, if frozen, I freeze, if stored at room temp, I do the same. My mom refrigerated EVERYTHING, all fruits and veggies, bread everything!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do what the supermarket does - if eggs are refrigerated in the store I do so at home. If not, I keep them in a cool spot on the counter.

That sounds like common sence

our eggs have the occasional bit of feather or poop on so im thinking they arnt washed

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was so surprised the first time I saw un-refrigerated eggs at a grocery store in Europe. My family in the US who had laying hens always put the eggs straight into the fridge, so I never thought twice about it.

When i was a kid my best friend's dad had layers in the backyard
my mum used to buy their eggs
they were soooooo freah
Never went in the fridge
They stored them in my freind's mum's laundry - also where she kept the apples
Mum kept them in the cupboard once we got them
I used to get a lot of egg flips for lunch (raw egg in milk etc)
Never got sick

Just keep doing what works for you i reacon

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have eggs from my own chickens , so they are fresher than fresh, organic, from pampered free range happy pet chickens.
I know don't have to refrigerate unwashed eggs.

I put them in the fridge because the egg compartment is the most secure spot. Anywhere on the counter tops or in the cabinets my toddlers could reach them and try to "use " them.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have eggs from my own chickens , so they are fresher than fresh, organic, from pampered free range happy pet chickens. ...

:clap:

When can I move in? :dance:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knock Knock. I'm at the door. :dance:
May I cook you guys dinner? :lickout:

I'll love the birdies.
I'm used to my tame little loving companion-parrot, Bibi, clinging to me like a new boyfriend. :kiss2:

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don't. I keep them on a rack in the pantry, which is dark & cool. I get my eggs fresh from the local farmer, complete with sticky poo & feathers.

In UK supermarkets, eggs are not kept in the fridge - they're just shelved in the aisle. In fact my local supermarket doesn't even box them. They are from local farms, freshly delivered on trays & you pick & box your own.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our fridge came with those stupid egg thingies to go in the door
ive never used them
id much rather the fridge makers would bring back the butter conditioner

remetau

Rough_Rock
We buy fresh eggs here in Grenada, but even when we get pre-refrigerated eggs we don't refrigerate them. No need to.
We took our boat for 2 months through the Bahamas and stocked up with about 10 dozen eggs we bought from US grocery store. Didn't refrigerate them. You have to rotate them periodically. After about 5-6 weeks, the yolks wouldn't hold together good enough for fried eggs, but they were fine to cook with.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
I bake sponge, castella & chiffon cakes quite often, so it will be much easier to separate yolks out when eggs are cold.
So yes, I store them in the refrigerator.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like most, I just do what they do in grocery stores...if something is refrigerated in the store, I refrigerate, if frozen, I freeze, if stored at room temp, I do the same. My mom refrigerated EVERYTHING, all fruits and veggies, bread everything!

Mine too...except in the old days of margarine which she kept on the counter And sometimes butter. We would go through a stick every two days and hated to spread cold butter on bread or toast.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results