color
clarity

Do You Like Your Name?

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
snip
Lookinagain|1443242978|3931997 said:
When I named my daughter I spent a fair amount of time choosing her first and middle names to make sure that the combination with her last name (her father's, not mine) had a rhythmic cadence. Her last name is only one syllable so I wanted to make sure her first and middle names had multiple syllables and flowed into the last name. I think the names that children are given can really impact them in their lives. Some parents don't seem to think about this and once the children get into school their classmates can tease them if they have strange names, or rhyming first and last names, etc. I definitely believe that name choice can affect a child's self confidence and that it is very important and should be a well thought out decision.

I agree with you! When we were going over names, the names had to:
  • Sound good together (as in first, middle, and last when called)
    Sound good first and last
    LOOK good with the initials (as in not spell weird things)
    Have a good meaning (this was HUGE for me!!!)
    Not be too popular, but not necessarily off the wall either

We did pretty good with our kids, our 2nd dd's initials spells RAH but, otherwise it's ok. As for the meanings, this was huge for me. Oldest dd's name means: Great and Bright, unmerited gift from God; 2nd DD: Lamb of God, Gracious (and it's Anne spelled w/an "E" because of Anne of Green Gables OF COURSE :read: :lol: ); and DS is Prophet of God, and one who trips another ( :lol: Ok, that one is a family name because of turmoil when he was born) and his name is more off the wall, but we LOVED it!

I love names, love researching them, sounding them out and such. I'm a teacher so there have been some very interesting names in the years I've been teaching. :shock: There are times when I seriously wonder what parents are thinking. This thread has been fun!!!

I'm not a fan of my name it's very late 70s. My name is Tammy, and I would occasionally get the "what's your real name" question as it's a nickname from Tamara, and ugh on my middle name. However, do not call me by my initials, I WILL NOT ANSWER YOU. Most often now, I'm called by my last name (re: being a teacher) it's Mrs. Cozystitches. Or Ms. Cozystitches. Students know not to call me Miss, as that is not accepted and I get to think of new names for students who call me Miss.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I do not like my name. It "dates" me. No one born in 30 years has my name. As for my last name (I took dh's when we got married)...it is THE MOST COMMON Korean last name, and I HATE it. It also sounds like a first name, so I'm stuck with 2 first names I don't like!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1443635515|3933513 said:
I do not like my name. It "dates" me. No one born in 30 years has my name. As for my last name (I took dh's when we got married)...it is THE MOST COMMON Korean last name, and I HATE it. It also sounds like a first name, so I'm stuck with 2 first names I don't like!
Hi, Kim Kim... :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results