shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you like your job/career?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love what I do but I hate my job. Does that make sense? I find the work that I do, i.e., producing the products that I work on, to be very rewarding, however; I''m extremely disatisfied with my salary and position. Basically, I was asked to work on a new product line which involves coordinating policy and procedures between two incompatible companies (think square peg in round hole). The amount of work involved in this could fill the day for 2-3 people. There has been no additional compensation provided, just 12-14 hour days and the promise of "if we didn''t have faith in you, we wouldn''t have asked" as though that should smooth my ego enough to ignore the promotion 20k in additional salary I should get for the work.

Other than that though, I love what I do and I like the people I work with. I don''t mind the long days, I just want to know that it''s going somewhere and won''t stay like this forever. Or if the workload does stay like this, that I''ll actually be compensated for my efforts.

Sorry if I sound bitter.

Elegant

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2008 12:45:47 AM
Author: shimmer
Thank you all, you have certainly given me a lot to think about
34.gif

I sometimes say to my 9 yr old niece ''when I grow up, I wanna be a.....'' she thinks it''s hilarious, lol. I''m just having trouble committing to one path that I would like to pursue. I know what I am doing now is not my dream job but I cannot seem to focus on what is, there are too many...anyone want to choose for me
9.gif
?
Hey shimmer!
35.gif

Well...help finding a dream job, aye?

Well...what sorts of things do you like doing? What could you see yourself being happy doing?

I asked my friend that question and she said gardening or something like...I mean geesh, there are lots of possibilities with that...maybe not INSTANT GRATIFICATION jobs, but she could go to school for landscaping or start working at Lowes or Armstrong in the garden section to learn about plant care, etc...she is tired of being a teacher and needs a change of pace. She also needs the same amount of pay and insurance benefits so that kind of takes the dreamy part out of it..

But, if you could get paid to do anything that you really loved doing, what would it be and why? Or what THINGS (plural) would you like to do...?

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan- USC is still in a really bad area (I get DPS alerts everyday). Pepperdine however is in the best location ever (second of course, to my beloved UCLA
31.gif
). USC is really trying to model itself after UPenn of all places ....so it should be interesting.

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
I love my career, but hate my current job. I''m an admin. asst. or secretary and I love that job I love being the go to girl who helps the boss get little things done. However, my current job is very boring. There''s literally nothing to do some days (which is why I find myself on PS all the time
28.gif
). For a while it was pleasant break since at my last job I was doing like 2.5 jobs and being underpaid for just one. I feel like I''d be looking a gift horse in the mouth by leaving b/c this job is so easy and pays really well, but I can''t do it much longer(and I''m not sure the company is all too stable).

I''d love to get into HR so maybe I''ll go back and get a masters in that area (my BA is in Theater LOL)but SO wants to finish his undergrad and I think that''ll be a priority before my Masters. So for now I''m searching too for something that''s not quite so boring and hopefully a little closer to our new house.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Yesterday I would have said YES!
Today..ah..not so much!
I just started a job at a Day Spa almost two weeks ago. The owner who was waxing my eyebrows (first time in there..ever!), asked me if I worked , and if I'd be interested in a job as her receptionist/personal assistant/reatail sales rep
I accepted (a few days later), but we never agreed on a rate of pay. She knew I had run my own business in the same industry for about 8 years, and that my previous job (14 years) paid me MORE money than she could "afford to pay me". I told her, "It's not just about the money..I would perfer a job that I enjoy, that allows flexiblilty in scheduling". She agreed to give me Tues/Wed/Thurs 9am-3pm (great hours for me!). She said she would pay me cash for the first two weeks, until getting me on payroll. Well...today before I left for vacation (off now for 11 days), she paid me, and I said to her "thanks...but I don't even know yet, what my hourly rate is". She replied "$9/hr ". I tried NOT to act shocked or insulted, but I was. I really expected around the $12/hr range..since minimum wage here is $8.75, and they can't even keep students in reatail or the donut shop around for long at that rate of pay! If I was strictly answering phones & booking appts..for $9 / hr..then fine...but she wants me to do daily errands (using MY car..and MY gas), making coffe..tea for clients..laundry (towels/sheets), selling (pushing products) on clients..banking (again, driving to the bank with my vehicle) after work...and much more! So...I guess after today, I am "retiring" again. Thankfully my husband makes MORE than enough for our family of four, so I don't have to work, and I'm definitely not going to bend over backwards for next to nothing!! My time is too valuable, and I would rather be at home with the kids than earn and extra $ 80 a week (which is less than what I spend on Friday night's dinner at the Keg!) LOL

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, Hudson Hawk, that''s the best way to describe how I feel about my job. I love what I do, and I hate my job.
I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE teaching (college composition), but I''m an adjunct (waiting for someone to retire or die). I can''t stand it. I teach the same same class load as a full-time prof (split between several colleges) and I''ll make 15k in a year where they make 50k. Granted, a FT prof also holds more office hours and serves on committees, but I really don''t see that as being worth 30k + - and call me crazy, but that''s also a part of the job that I truly enjoy and wish I could spend more time doing.

I knew when I went into this career that it takes awhile to land a full-time job since the field is highly competitive, so I can''t complain too much - at least I''m working - but I hate not being compensated fairly for the work I do and not being able to participate fully in the department (which makes decisions concerning how we teach, what texts, objectives, etc). That part of the job is so incredibly stressful and it makes me really frustrated with the system. About every semester I decide that I''m no longer going to do this, and then I realize that I wouldn''t be happy doing anything else and I continue to tough it out.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I just launched my career 2.5 months ago, but I am absolutely loving every minute of it. Unlike previous jobs I''ve had, I don''t wake up in the morning dreading the day ahead. I''m so happy with my job.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results