shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have commitment issues ...with Jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that I have the hardest time committing to a setting. I look at my wishlist and I know what I want for a certain bday, holiday, anniversary, and I have an idea but then the "I don''t want to be committed part of me sets in". I have a hard time buying five of something just to change it out. I usually buy one item for certain activities or events and I usually wear that one item over and over. example. I have stud earrings one set bezel, and I know that is the only studs I will ever own. I won''t have a few hanging around. Another example is a colored gem, I only want one of a certain color for a ring (whethter it be a spinel, sapphire, tourmaline or other), and maybe of the same color for a pendant but only one color for each each wearing party (whether that is for my finger or for my neck). I only buy jewelry for a specific purpose in mind. So you do have commitment issues with jewelry yourself? or am I the only one?

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I see what you mean... if I have a favorite of something, it doesn''t even occur to me to get something like it... again.

I don''t know that it is commitment issue, I think it is more I''m onto my next new big thing. Like, oh I already have a xxx, I want a xxx. I think I just don''t want my pieces to look too similar to each other, I want them all to look different, so that when I change it up I get a compliment. haha! It is hard to do that when switching from 2 items taht appear similar from the casual observer!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have four sets of studs, but only because I''ve upgraded over time and do not wear the smaller ones anymore.

Overall, once I buy something, I enjoy it to its fullest. I''ve never understood buying so much jewelry that there isn''t enough days in the week to wear it all. 20 diamond necklaces doesn''t make sense to me.

If money was no object, I''d buy more pieces, but not so much that the majority collected dust in my jewelry box. With the smaller studs, I''d like to bezel set the .50 tcw. ones to create a second style that I would wear. The ones I wear daily are .82 tcw ACAs

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tlh - I guess I have two issues...lol. one is committing to setting a gemstone or diamonds in, and the other is buying jewelry altogether.

MC- I love ooohhhh and awwwaaaing someone''s whole jewelry collection but the practical me takes over most time.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I''m the opposite. I want the same things over & over. My dream watch is an almost replica of my existing watch (just a nicer make, a bit larger & has a flipping face) ... is it worth the 5-7K to get a watch ALMOST like my 12 year old Tiffany watch that still works fine & had a polish a year ago? Probably NOT but I still want it. Someday.

And I''m about to create a pair of earrings that is QUITE like one of the only two pairs of "fine" earrings I already own. Its bordering on ridiculous. Yet, I already know I love it & wear it constantly.

The *unknown* troubles me more than the proven ... yanno?
3.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
I have commitment issues but in a different way. I''ll find something I L-O-V-E, and I''ll save up to buy it. When I get to the point where I''ve saved up enough to buy it, I think about how large a sum of money it is and how it could be used for something else. So, I end up putting it into savings. Usually this happens for items around $1,000 or higher. Don''t seem to have as much of a problem spending $500 though.
emotion-5.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 3:54:17 PM
Author: brightlight
I have commitment issues but in a different way. I''ll find something I L-O-V-E, and I''ll save up to buy it. When I get to the point where I''ve saved up enough to buy it, I think about how large a sum of money it is and how it could be used for something else. So, I end up putting it into savings. Usually this happens for items around $1,000 or higher. Don''t seem to have as much of a problem spending $500 though.
emotion-5.gif
could be a good approach to savings method.
1.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2009 3:52:43 PM
Author: decodelighted
I think I''m the opposite. I want the same things over & over. My dream watch is an almost replica of my existing watch (just a nicer make, a bit larger & has a flipping face) ... is it worth the 5-7K to get a watch ALMOST like my 12 year old Tiffany watch that still works fine & had a polish a year ago? Probably NOT but I still want it. Someday.

And I''m about to create a pair of earrings that is QUITE like one of the only two pairs of ''fine'' earrings I already own. Its bordering on ridiculous. Yet, I already know I love it & wear it constantly.

3.gif
.... and this is the philosophy that leads me to own like 20 nearly identical black skirts. (And yes, I do it with jewelry too!)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And I''m about to create a pair of earrings that is QUITE like one of the only two pairs of ''fine'' earrings I already own. Its bordering on ridiculous. Yet, I already know I love it & wear it constantly.

3.gif
maybe that''s why i don''t commit that easily and think I might just end up replicating my first old design but with bigger gems or diamonds. I totally understand.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2009 2:44:13 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten

3.gif
.... and this is the philosophy that leads me to own like 20 nearly identical black skirts. (And yes, I do it with jewelry too!)
I have many duplicate items for more than a few items in my closet but in different colors. so this philosophy does work, if it ain''t broke why fix it ehh?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock

3.gif
Did you know that your new earrings-to-be have a matching pendant
11.gif
12.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 11:59:51 AM
Author: D&T

Date: 7/11/2009 2:44:13 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten

I have many duplicate items for more than a few items in my closet but in different colors. so this philosophy does work, if it ain''t broke why fix it ehh?
Yep, I also have tones of duplicates in my closet. If a style fits, I''ll buy one of every color that flatters my skin tone. As a result if shirt or sweater comes in black, purple, or wine color it''s pretty much guaranteed I own all three shades!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 12:43:12 PM
Author: risingsun
I''m about to create a pair of earrings that is QUITE like one of the only two pairs of ''fine'' earrings I already own. Its bordering on ridiculous. Yet, I already know I love it & wear it constantly. The *unknown* troubles me more than the proven ... yanno?
3.gif
11.gif
12.gif
Yer baaaaaaaad. Watch out for the baaaaad lady, kids!
3.gif
I *did* see a picture of that scrumptious pendant -- but I can''t track down any of those pieces in person! No go at the VA Cartier. I''m thinking of leaping before I look anymore. I fell in love from a far away picture of a general shape ... as FABOO as the Cartier ones surely are: something kinda like it is good enough for moi! Wanna take bets this thing will be knocked off by QVC within 6 months?
31.gif
32.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2009 2:34:35 PM

Date: 7/11/2009 12:43:12 PM
Author: risingsun

I''m about to create a pair of earrings that is QUITE like one of the only two pairs of ''fine'' earrings I already own. Its bordering on ridiculous. Yet, I already know I love it & wear it constantly. The *unknown* troubles me more than the proven ... yanno?
3.gif
11.gif
12.gif
Yer baaaaaaaad. Watch out for the baaaaad lady, kids!
3.gif
I *did* see a picture of that scrumptious pendant -- but I can''t track down any of those pieces in person! No go at the VA Cartier. I''m thinking of leaping before I look anymore. I fell in love from a far away picture of a general shape ... as FABOO as the Cartier ones surely are: something kinda like it is good enough for moi! Wanna take bets this thing will be knocked off by QVC within 6 months?
31.gif
32.gif
I''m a good girl, I am
3.gif
I am only looking out for your best interests
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results