shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have anxiety attacks?

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1473914199|4076780 said:
Yes. I've been in therapy since I was 21, on and off. I only take medication if it is getting unmanageable (i.e., too many anxiety attacks that are debilitating within a short period of time). On a day-to-day basis, I do not get them. I've managed them with coping strategies. I've learned to cry more often than keep it all bottled inside, then spiral out of control. Thus I don't carry around medication, since I wouldn't know when TO take them.

But, for instance, you go through a rough patch with many triggers. I just went through one, or am going through one. At these sorts of times, recognize when you DO need to go on medication. And that it's okay. Allow yourself to be spoiled with extra naps, doing hobbies, getting massages, etc. ANYTHING to help you decompress.

You're going through a rough time also. Just understand you're NOT alone. It happens to the best of us.

---------

I read your updates. I don't understand why your prescribing physician isn't able to diagnose you him/herself with anxiety. Anxiety is NOT uncommon. There are no "tests" he/she can do to prove you have it, as chances are, you aren't exhibiting the signs/symptoms at the moment of your appointments. Jeez Louise. Find another physician!

It's not the anxiety she won't diagnose me with and told me she had no problem prescribing something more mainstream like prozac. It's the bi-polar diagnosis that makes her nervous because in her words "it's a very serious diagnosis and not something to take lightly, I don't have as much experience with that as someone in psychiatry would have, so I recommend you see someone that can recommend taking the medication you've been on."

That's the reason she won't administer the test herself, which I understand, I was originally a psychology major. She's fine with monitoring me on the medication, but would prefer that someone else make the diagnosis since we don't have one on file.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
distracts|1473976664|4077086 said:
I went through a phase this year where I was having panic attacks all the time. I started going to therapy again but did not change my medication (lexapro). My therapist recommended this book to read through in conjunction with therapy and I have found it very helpful: https://www.amazon.com/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1626252157/

Aside from ensuring I get enough sleep and reducing/eliminating caffeine, the thing I've been finding most helpful is setting aside 20 minutes a day for meditation. Because I'm lazy, I do it right before I go to sleep, lying down in bed. I like to clear my head and then mentally repeat a mantra that has to do with my current situation or is something I would tell myself if I'm about to have a panic attack. That way if the symptoms of one are building up, I can take a deep breath, repeat my thing, and my body is kind of used to being calm when I'm thinking that so it calms down. My psychologist also recommends meditating for 2 minutes every time you go to the bathroom so you get used to doing it multiple times throughout the day, and even though that advice sounds weird it works.

The book also has sections on all sorts of things - I found the diet and supplement sections to be useful. With my psychologist I was already working on cutting down caffeine because of the caffeine, but the book said that aspartame (which is in diet coke, which I drink) is also correlated with anxiety/panic attacks and has been found over time to damage the nervous system. I also take magnesium supplements. I've been trying to eat much healthier and mainly nonstarchy vegetables... that one is hard... I definitely feel better when I do but it's a work in progress. I am a potato chips and ice cream kind of girl.

Thank you for these suggestions! I bought a copy of the book and we've been slowly getting back into regular exercise. I know for me, that sugar and gluten can make my symptoms worse so I try to avoid those.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
random_thought|1474125670|4077722 said:
Thank you for these suggestions! I bought a copy of the book and we've been slowly getting back into regular exercise. I know for me, that sugar and gluten can make my symptoms worse so I try to avoid those.

Yeah, sugar exacerbates my anxiety really badly. It tastes so good though! I figured that out nearly a decade ago and have been low-sugar ever since (I was trying for "no sugar" but tbh when I see dessert my will crumples).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
random_thought|1474125461|4077719 said:
It's not the anxiety she won't diagnose me with and told me she had no problem prescribing something more mainstream like prozac. It's the bi-polar diagnosis that makes her nervous because in her words "it's a very serious diagnosis and not something to take lightly, I don't have as much experience with that as someone in psychiatry would have, so I recommend you see someone that can recommend taking the medication you've been on."

That's the reason she won't administer the test herself, which I understand, I was originally a psychology major. She's fine with monitoring me on the medication, but would prefer that someone else make the diagnosis since we don't have one on file.
My nephew, when in somewhat similar circumstances, was able to be seen (and more quickly than any of us anticipated) at a Johns Hopkins Hospital clinic. Might there be a med school psychiatric-mental health clinic within your area; even if they can't offer you an appointment in the next 2 weeks, I'd hope they could steer you elsewhere.

The federal government's Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration provides links to every state's own agency (whose web site, in turn, should provide rosters of community-based providers)
https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/locator/stateagencies
and also maintains a very comprehensive database of providers of various mental health (and substance abuse) services that you can access by plugging in your zip code in the box on this page:
https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov

But depending on where you live, the list you see, after clicking on the appropriate filters, may be unrealistically long, i.e., it would tough for you to call every place on the results list.

Is it your GP you're expecting a call back from with info on psychiatrists who offer a sliding scale fee; it does seem she should be pro-active on your behalf (but maybe she's relatively new in town & isn't comfortable with referring you to a psychiatrist she knows little-nothing about?).

Wishing you a super-speedy resolution of this Rx problem; it's maddening that you should have to be dealing with this on top of everything else!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results