shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have an “exit plan” for PS?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure how to put this! I’m trying to ask if you have a plan in place for when you expire and would like it to be announced here.

Please discuss. I would love to hear members’ plans for either notifying or disappearing without a trace aka “ghosting” PS.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Missy brought this up after DF passed away.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a best friend who knows DeeJay so she could tell her. I’m also friends on FB with wifey (Karl) and Lisa so someone might see it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will likely be like the last time I didn't post for years. Honestly I don't think anyone even noticed I was gone...lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will likely be like the last time I didn't post for years. Honestly I don't think anyone even noticed I was gone...lol

Not true. I noticed and am glad you are back :)

Yeah so originally I posted that Greg would let everyone know but I think probably my friends here would let everyone know. Greg would be busy with planning arrangements etc so I just don't see him coming here to share. Plus he doesnt know my password though he could guess as I only have three passwords in total for all my sites lol. I know not a good security risk but what can I say. I cannot remember passwords so use the same for all. LOL

It's a very unpleasant topic to be discussing but I also feel that is a part of life. Unpleasantness and of course death :(

It's tragic when people die before their time and heartbreaking. But unfortunately that is life.

My dad always used to say to me when I was a little girl and upset about something, "Missy, no one gets out of this life alive so don't stress about fill in the blank" My dad is a wise man. We cannot change the fact that yes all of us are going to die.

So I take life one day at a time and try to live in the moment. Enjoying each moment to the best of my ability. Because that is all we are guaranteed. The here and now. Nothing else.

I have written this before but it is worth repeating.
Thank you to all who are my friends and to all who have been kind and generous and supportive. I don't take anything for granted and I appreciate the PSers who have made me feel worthwhile and right back at ya.

This quote stays with me.
"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
By Maya Angelou.
Spot on.

So a big thank you to the PSers who have always made me feel as if what I share is worthwhile and who have made me feel as if I belong. I do not take that for granted. There have been people whose paths I have crossed in life who made me feel as if I was less than and an outsider. Those people are the exception for me thank goodness but for that my memory is long. And so a very big thank you and hugs to all those who I care about who care about me too. And yes even online it comes through. This is a good time to say thank you and how much I appreciate and value your friendship, support and kindness.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel this way too.
I also feel this is my hobby and mine alone, my family has nothing to do with it.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not planned an exit plan for anything, and shall just fade away when the time comes!

DK :))

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
I suppose that in my mind, I do not post/interact enough for anyone here to have any strong attachments, and therefore no one would really notice if I stopped. As it stands right now, were something to happen, I'd end up ghosting this place.

My spouse knows about my "jewelry forum on the internet", in that I have fun on here and get feedback on projects, but I'm uncertain it would ever cross their mind to log in under my account and inform people here. Certainly not any of my other close family members. I've referenced this place a few times to people but only met another person who knew about PS once in real life.

If I ever became a more engaged participant, or end up following through on my dream of joining a few PS meet and greets in the future resulting in a stronger tie/friendship with other members, I would make a point to add in my will a request that PS be notified of my passing.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I'm another who will most likely just fade away quietly. I've taken many breaks since I joined in 2009 and not one person noticed. Which is fine. I'm not someone who posts all the time. I don't make many purchases to share, and I don't have gorgeous, huge mined jewellery to stick in peoples brains so I really wouldn't expect anybody to remember me anyway lol. Not a big deal. If my husband goes through my phone tabs he might choose to say something. But I would not ask him to do so since I'm mostly very quiet.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mind finds it disorienting to discuss my transition from existing to not existing.
For some reason, in some way, it brings up that M.C. Escher drawing of a pair of hands drawing each other.

Drawing Hands.png

Ceasing to exist is so incomprehensible that I'm not surprised that religions' invented the idea "eternal life", and why so many people fall for and cling to it.

Existing is something that's easy to get used to.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ghost. This place is known as the "jewellery forum" and my family doesn't even know the name Pricescope because I rarely talk about it IRL.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I disappeared for a few years a few years back, when this hobby became too expensive and time consuming. Now I dip my toe in from time to time, but when I find myself getting in too deep I make myself take another break. I got to be close real-life friends with someone I met here, so if I die first she might tell the community. But she doesn't post very much here anymore herself. And I'm not sure how much people really remember me nowadays. I think a few people noticed my first long disappearance, but mostly I just faded away and am no longer a vivid character in much of anyone's minds. So I will probably just vanish. But it might occur to my friend to let the community know. If she does, the community will probably say, "Who? Glitterata? Who was she? Oh, right, the one with the cameo as a profile photo. That is sad. I'm sorry for your loss."

Occasionally I see photos I posted long ago and can't believe how young my hands were (or how old they are now); it's been more than 20 years since I joined PS! I knew nothing about diamonds back then. I came here for advice about appraising my grandmother's 1929 engagement ring, which my mom had just given me. Dave Atlas steered me to an excellent appraiser. How can that be 20 years ago?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I disappeared for a few years a few years back, when this hobby became too expensive and time consuming. Now I dip my toe in from time to time, but when I find myself getting in too deep I make myself take another break. I got to be close real-life friends with someone I met here, so if I die first she might tell the community. But she doesn't post very much here anymore herself. And I'm not sure how much people really remember me nowadays. I think a few people noticed my first long disappearance, but mostly I just faded away and am no longer a vivid character in much of anyone's minds. So I will probably just vanish. But it might occur to my friend to let the community know. If she does, the community will probably say, "Who? Glitterata? Who was she? Oh, right, the one with the cameo as a profile photo. That is sad. I'm sorry for your loss."

Occasionally I see photos I posted long ago and can't believe how young my hands were (or how old they are now); it's been more than 20 years since I joined PS! I knew nothing about diamonds back then. I came here for advice about appraising my grandmother's 1929 engagement ring, which my mom had just given me. Dave Atlas steered me to an excellent appraiser. How can that be 20 years ago?
This is very touching, especially the age realted bit. I've been lurking since 2013 and for sure remember you and your avatar as a cameo owner myself.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Sorry if a bit off topic here but I've wondered about this before, when people have passed away who I "knew" on a forum and someone posts their real name.

As far as that part of it goes, if they chose to post anonymously and did not reveal their true identity online themselves, or request that it be revealed on the forum after their passing, then I'd consider doing so a violation of their obvious wishes tbh. (I don't know when or if this has actually been done though because I don't recall anyone ever stating that either way).

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry if a bit off topic here but I've wondered about this before, when people have passed away who I "knew" on a forum and someone posts their real name.

As far as that part of it goes, if they chose to post anonymously and did not reveal their true identity online themselves, or request that it be revealed on the forum after their passing, then I'd consider doing so a pretty obnoxious violation tbh.

+1
IMO respecting privacy should not end just because they do.
They leave family and friends, who are entitled to their privacy.

Of course if they have expressed the wish to have their real name published, as did Dancing Fire, then fine; do it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

As far as that part of it goes, if they chose to post anonymously and did not reveal their true identity online themselves, or request that it be revealed on the forum after their passing, then I'd consider doing so a violation of their obvious wishes tbh. (I don't know when or if this has actually been done though because I don't recall anyone ever stating that either way).
It is wrong to post real names with out the persons or their families permission even in the event they died in my opinion.
To answer the question several PSers both consumers and trade are FB friends with my wifey and I and can post the info here. They can use my full name.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have made a few friends IRL from here, so I will assume that eventually it would be announced.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This is very touching, especially the age realted bit. I've been lurking since 2013 and for sure remember you and your avatar as a cameo owner myself.

Hello, fellow cameo person!

I hope I didn't sound plaintive! I didn't mean to. I don't expect people to remember me after long absences. Why should they? New members don't know me. I've really enjoyed the time I spent here, the warm community, and all the beautiful things to see, and I'm glad to visit again from time to time--and then to run away before my savings vanish.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hope I didn't sound plaintive! I didn't mean to. I don't expect people to remember me after long absences. Why should they? New members don't know me. I've really enjoyed the time I spent here, the warm community, and all the beautiful things to see, and I'm glad to visit again from time to time--and then to run away before my savings vanish.

I remember you from way back! There are so many here now that probably don’t know about us ‘oldies but goodies’! Absences are sometimes noted and sometimes there is no explanation. Guess it is just life in the fast lane! My family knows about PS but no one knows my password to report my demise. I suppose they could create an account but honestly doubt they would think it would be a big deal. Perhaps I should mention it to them …

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've never forgotten you!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy brought this up after DF passed away.

Oh! I am so sorry. I didn’t see that thread and didn’t mean to make another. Thanks for pointing this out. I feel pretty dumb now

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Oh! I am so sorry. I didn’t see that thread and didn’t mean to make another. Thanks for pointing this out. I feel pretty dumb now

No need! PS always has multiple threads on similar issues and it’s nbd; I mainly thought you would like to read the responses to it :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No, it's always good to get answers from other members and those who might have changed their minds. We should repeat this thread yearly IMO!

I remember you! Hi Glitterata! Glad you are back and hope you stay!

I will have been hit by a car while crossing the road. It's quick.

LOL yes I hope I go that way too. When I am around 99 years old. :lol:

Just as an FYI to all those who shared...I would notice you weren't here anymore. You would be missed. Every single one of you

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can think of lots of people who used to be on but are gone. Even when you are gone you are not forgotten .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results