shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you have a love hate relationship with a piece of your jewlwey?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why won't my smilies work tonight ...

Anyway anyway
I was sitting at the bus stop in the sun this morning with my 'covid safety 'ring on

I wear it on my index finger to remind me not to touch my face - i put it on everytime i go out since this whole nightmare covid global pandemic started

Being white saphires and not diamonds it probably needs a clean
It can be so lifeless
But in the sunlight today i was reminded how it looked under the mall lighting when i brought it.

Its been a loyal if somewhat disappointing compaign this year, but today i felt the flutter of love again

Another problem i realized only recently is its the exact same setting (except im silver and with white saphires not mall diamonds) as my green saphire that cost 20x as much (that i brought to reward myself for riding with the funeral director in the front of the hearse with mum's coffin in the back - because i really hate going to the center to visit dad and mum made it into such a huge drama)

Do you have any pieces you hate one minute and love the next ?

Anyway here is my peridot ring - presently back in my good books, where precisely its post covid future wasn't looking too bright

Attachments

• 20201222_121153.jpg
    20201222_121153.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 20

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only love hate relationship I have to speak of with my jewelry are the way my fingers swell and make wearing my rings more difficult.

For example, when we walk long distances I usually cannot wear Bubbalah as my fingers swell and make it challenging to get her off my finger when we get home.

@LLJsmom wisely suggested I just wear her when I get home and wait til my finger swelling goes down but in the house I don't like wearing any bling. I like being unencumbered and I always work with my hands or play with the cats and Bubbalah will get in the way.

So yeah it's a love hate relationship in that I love wearing Bubbalah but I hate when my fingers swell and it makes it hard to get her off my finger. That and my arthritis and Raynauds making ring wearing that much more difficult.

Sorry for the vent and to make up for it here is Bubbalah in all her ice queen glory.
Sans WB to accommodate her more easily due to the finger swelling.

bubbalahicequeen.png

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a love hate relationship with rose cut diamonds. I love them and the way they look but they get dirty looking so fast and I don’t like the way the bigger ones are so transparent, especially as rings. I’ve purchased a few rings in the past and then I always sell them BC I don’t like the way my skin shows thru.
My favorite pendant is this Tiffany enchant rose cut butterfly pendant. I’m wearing it right now. The rose cut diamonds are small so they aren’t so transparent but it gets dirty so fast. I love it but I wish it stayed sparkly like brilliant cuts or OECs.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My WSS rope necklace. It's opera length, so very impractical and even worn 2x around my neck it's still too long. The pearls are a smidge small at 11 mm and the luster isn't great ( chalky looking on some pearls).

It's from my grandmother, though, so I love it for sentimental reasons.

It does fill the gap "statement WSS necklace" though, so I'm super reluctant to buy another one that I'd wear .... I'd like a short one with bigger WSS. But then I can't quite justify it...
First world problem for sure!!

M

MillieLou

Like Missy, I like feeling unencumbered by jewellery other than a plain smooth wedding band at home and hate pokey prongs, sharp edges and tight fits. But I also like to see sparkles. Dilemma.

I also have a little 6x4mm royal blue sapphire in a three stone setting. In the right light, it is breathtaking. In poor light, it's just a dull flat almost-black. I swing between loving it and not.

Actually my feelings about jewellery often depend on what lighting situation I'm in. I need to go about my day with a headlamp on.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I have a ring that was made for me by someone who broke my heart. I realize that person is probably doing the best they can in life, and I try to remember good things about them. I feel like I got the best of that person, and to get rid of it seems like getting rid of the good person they tried to be. But it actually hurts to look at it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The only love hate relationship I have to speak of with my jewelry are the way my fingers swell and make wearing my rings more difficult.

For example, when we walk long distances I usually cannot wear Bubbalah as my fingers swell and make it challenging to get her off my finger when we get home.

@LLJsmom wisely suggested I just wear her when I get home and wait til my finger swelling goes down but in the house I don't like wearing any bling. I like being unencumbered and I always work with my hands or play with the cats and Bubbalah will get in the way.

So yeah it's a love hate relationship in that I love wearing Bubbalah but I hate when my fingers swell and it makes it hard to get her off my finger. That and my arthritis and Raynauds making ring wearing that much more difficult.

Sorry for the vent and to make up for it here is Bubbalah in all her ice queen glory.
Sans WB to accommodate her more easily due to the finger swelling.

bubbalahicequeen.png

She is so beautiful
The winter must help?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. I have a ring that was made for me by someone who broke my heart. I realize that person is probably doing the best they can in life, and I try to remember good things about them. I feel like I got the best of that person, and to get rid of it seems like getting rid of the good person they tried to be. But it actually hurts to look at it.

Oh this is so sad
Sometimes time takes a long long time to do its healing
The hurt may eventually pass
I realized just the other day, that after 35 years maybe i don't actually hate my old high school - it did me no favours at the time and i was very angry for the longest time
Every time over the years it had things like a fire ...my friend would ring up joking - was i in town? !
But i was reading something the other day about it (Bayfield high school) and i felt happy for it and i realized the hurt and anger had gone.
I know affairs of the heart are not quite the same but don't give up on your ring

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like Missy, I like feeling unencumbered by jewellery other than a plain smooth wedding band at home and hate pokey prongs, sharp edges and tight fits. But I also like to see sparkles. Dilemma.

I also have a little 6x4mm royal blue sapphire in a three stone setting. In the right light, it is breathtaking. In poor light, it's just a dull flat almost-black. I swing between loving it and not.

Actually my feelings about jewellery often depend on what lighting situation I'm in. I need to go about my day with a headlamp on.

This is what was really highlighted to me waiting at the bus stop in the sun

I get reasonably good sparkle at night in my bedroom- it has bad 1950s lighting - terrible for reading but i do get sparkle under its one misserable warm white light bulb - but in the lounge dead flat

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Well... I once dropped a diamond ring into the Salvation Army donation bin, if that counts!

The housekeeping gurus I've read say you should not keep things that have bad associations for you and I believe that. If a connection goes sour, I remove mementos from that person so I don't feel bad whenever I notice those items.

But the jewelry issues I have now are just indecision, not love/hate. Like jewelry that I want to improve but am not sure I want to spend the money on. I have a ring that could use better side diamonds, pearls that I want to have redone so they don't need re-stringing every few years and a couple other things like that.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My WSS rope necklace. It's opera length, so very impractical and even worn 2x around my neck it's still too long. The pearls are a smidge small at 11 mm and the luster isn't great ( chalky looking on some pearls).

It's from my grandmother, though, so I love it for sentimental reasons.

It does fill the gap "statement WSS necklace" though, so I'm super reluctant to buy another one that I'd wear .... I'd like a short one with bigger WSS. But then I can't quite justify it...
First world problem for sure!!

Next time it needs restrung could you consider shortening it ?
You could make a braclete with the spairs

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well... I once dropped a diamond ring into the Salvation Army donation bin, if that counts!

The jewelry issues I have now are more just indecision about than anything as strong as love/hate. Like jewelry that I want to improve in some way but am not sure if I want to spend the money on it. I have a ring that could use better side diamonds, pearls that I want to have redone so they don't need re-stringing every few years and a couple other things like that.

Lucky Salvation army shopper that day !
I beleave nowdays you can get thread for pearls that is synthetic rather than silk, that doesn't stretch
One of the PS pearl princess will know

that's just one that would be an easy and inexpensive fix

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a love hate relationship with rose cut diamonds. I love them and the way they look but they get dirty looking so fast and I don’t like the way the bigger ones are so transparent, especially as rings. I’ve purchased a few rings in the past and then I always sell them BC I don’t like the way my skin shows thru.
My favorite pendant is this Tiffany enchant rose cut butterfly pendant. I’m wearing it right now. The rose cut diamonds are small so they aren’t so transparent but it gets dirty so fast. I love it but I wish it stayed sparkly like brilliant cuts or OECs.

Definatly sounds like a love hate relationship !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our closest aunt, uncle and cousins growing up both gave my sister and i good watches for our 21st - my aunty and uncle had given mum a watch for her 21st

I was really close to my aunty but sometimes family gets complicated and my sister had a falling out
Both she and my aunty and cousins and mum were all in Christchurch by that time and mum's demetia was worsening
And it was just a hard time for everyone and my sister had a war with our relatives

My sister pretended the watch got lost in the earthquake when her house was damaged beyond repair
But really she threw it out

ean

Brilliant_Rock
E8F100D4-28F3-41A8-96EA-EC8E57342FFD.jpeg

This right here is a true love and hate relationship. My original e-ring was stolen during a burglary and wasn’t insured so after a few years I had it replaced with this one when we can afford it. I had it made to resemble the Tiffany soleste that I just love the look of. I originally requested claw prongs but the ring shipped to me this way. They already had to remade it once so I didn’t press the issue. This ring looks so much more delicate in person than it does in pictures. I don’t know but I just am not 100% in love with it. When I first got it I thought it was so ginormous that I was so self conscious wearing it in public. Well, ofcourse, DSS set in and I think it looks okay now, size wise.

Some days I just want to completely scrap this ring, some days I wear it and think to myself, oh how pretty. I chose this and DH has no input on it, so maybe I’m just missing how much more sentimental my original e-ring was. He was involved in the design process and literally carried that ring 9000 miles in his pocket to propose to me. I feel like at this point I can get the biggest ring but still nothing would compare.

But anyway, I’m a halo lover and always wanted a halo ring. So maybe one day I can upgrade this to a 9mm cushion cut with a delicate halo. I’m also drawn to antique 3 stone cushions and 3 stone step cuts. I’m only 26, so my taste will change in the years to come for sure. I will enjoy her for now. Even if I want to get rid of her sometimes. Lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
E8F100D4-28F3-41A8-96EA-EC8E57342FFD.jpeg

This right here is a true love and hate relationship. My original e-ring was stolen during a burglary and wasn’t insured so after a few years I had it replaced with this one when we can afford it. I had it made to resemble the Tiffany soleste that I just love the look of. I originally requested claw prongs but the ring shipped to me this way. They already had to remade it once so I didn’t press the issue. This ring looks so much more delicate in person than it does in pictures. I don’t know but I just am not 100% in love with it. When I first got it I thought it was so ginormous that I was so self conscious wearing it in public. Well, ofcourse, DSS set in and I think it looks okay now, size wise.

Some days I just want to completely scrap this ring, some days I wear it and think to myself, oh how pretty. I chose this and DH has no input on it, so maybe I’m just missing how much more sentimental my original e-ring was. He was involved in the design process and literally carried that ring 9000 miles in his pocket to propose to me. I feel like at this point I can get the biggest ring but still nothing would compare.

But anyway, I’m a halo lover and always wanted a halo ring. So maybe one day I can upgrade this to a 9mm cushion cut with a delicate halo. I’m also drawn to antique 3 stone cushions and 3 stone step cuts. I’m only 26, so my taste will change in the years to come for sure. I will enjoy her for now. Even if I want to get rid of her sometimes. Lol

This is the saddest kind of love hate
Im so sorry some miserable bas#ard stole your original ring
The replacement is beautiful but i totally understand

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I’ve wished very bad things to happen to whoever he is. Not gonna lie.

That's ok
I completly understand
I hope he lost it and its somehow found a nice deserving person to love it
I reacon half the stuff at pawn shops are stolen

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He was involved in the design process and literally carried that ring 9000 miles in his pocket to propose to me. I feel like at this point I can get the biggest ring but still nothing would compare.

That's tough.

When I consider buying, I keep telling myself that all jewelry is ephemeral. We think it's for "generations" but if it's actually worn it tends to get scratched up, beat up, lost, or (worst of all) stolen. I try to factor that in now. I'm not convinced it has made a huge difference. But we've all had enough old beater cars that we know what our new one will look like in 10 or 20 years...

ean

Brilliant_Rock
That's tough.

When I consider buying, I keep telling myself that all jewelry is ephemeral. We think it's for "generations" but if it's actually worn it tends to get scratched up, beat up, lost, or (worst of all) stolen. I try to factor that in now. I'm not convinced it has made a huge difference. But we've all had enough old beater cars that we know what our new one will look like in 10 or 20 years...

It just makes me insanely sad when I hear stories about how their grandmas wore their engagement rings up until the day they died. I could buy a bigger and better ring for sure and wear it on my right hand like I rotate rings now. I just hate how I’ve been robbed (both literally and figuratively) of that experience. My DH was super proud of being able to buy me that ring too as he was only 22 at the time, and it was the only piece of jewelry he really cared about.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It just makes me insanely sad when I hear stories about how their grandmas wore their engagement rings up until the day they died. I could buy a bigger and better ring for sure and wear it on my right hand like I rotate rings now. I just hate how I’ve been robbed (both literally and figuratively) of that experience. My DH was super proud of being able to buy me that ring too as he was only 22 at the time, and it was the only piece of jewelry he really cared about.

All good points. I'm sorry. I did not mean to downplay that.

(And in case it came across this way as I re-read it now, by "That's tough" I meant "That's hard." Not like "Toughen up.")

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

The robbery will sux for ever

ean

Brilliant_Rock
All good points. I'm sorry. I did not mean to downplay that.

(And in case it came across this way as I re-read it now, by "That's tough" I meant "That's hard." Not like "Toughen up.")

No, I was not offended at all!I was just sharing, and english isn’t my first language. I’m just angry at the burglar,no one else.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted a big diamond but did not want to pay the big price tag . So I compromised on color and got a 2 ct , GIA triple EX , L/VS2 modern brilliant diamond ring . I have a love/hate relationship with it . I love it in malls or stores with bright lights ,looks big & sparkly with flashes of rainbow .But at home I can see the tint clearly and think of selling it and getting a smaller whiter super ideal diamond ,but then I get too lazy and think who would want a 2 ct L color diamond anyway ? so might as well keep it .

Staceyjan

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, my Cartier Love bracelet. I think the size I selected was too small and it is a pain to take it on and off. Also, it shows every scratch. But, I do love how it looks.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My aim is to have the perfect wearable jewellery collect like mrsB. I want to open my jewellery box and have my heart beat a little faster. Most of the pieces I have issue with I have sold to fund more classic wearable pieces. I sold my cartier love bracelet for the same reasons @Staceyjan mentioned. The money went towards getting my old cut diamond. I also sold a pair of diamond and pearl studs that kept rotating on my ears. The cash has gone to the bling kitty. Not sure what to get yet

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starting to think that color (well, absence of color) is the most over-rated diamond attribute.

Back to the CS forum...

For some of us this is so true. Old cut diamonds can look awesome in the lower colors. Personally I prefer the lower colors in OECs. You get an amazing and wide array of colors looking at a lower color OEC. ❤️

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
My DH bought me a “travel” ring in 2012 when I was traveling a lot for work in 2012. It is a 0.56ct (center stone size) Tiffany Soleste. The side benefit was that I could pop into a Tiffany to get it cleaned and also use the restroom in any major city (I know, I am weird). Anyway, now that I am traveling less, I wish the center stone was a touch bigger. However, I can’t bring myself to ”upgrade” given the Tiffany mark ups. I find that I can get a brand new ring for the cost of the ”upgrade.”

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results