carat
color
clarity

Do You Have a Favorite Gold Designer?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 3:08:49 PM
Author: Harriet
Holly, you''re a woman after my own heart.
P.S. I never had the pleasure of arguing with you on ATW.
9.gif

Moon argues. I ''discuss''.
3.gif
28.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
As a philosophy major, "argument" is "debate" in my lexicon.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:20:07 AM
As a philosophy major, ''argument'' is ''debate'' in my lexicon.
Point taken.

What''s the stone in your avatar? Did I miss something?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/21/2009 5:34:03 PM

Deb, that makes sense. Generally, I cringe at paying a premium for designer jewellery, unless it's a piece that can't be replicated. Buccellati's work is simply beautiful and will hold some value, I dare say.

Harriet and other gold lovers, but especially those who love the Honolulu collection...I have to tell you a secret I learned today. Go to Macy's. To the costume jewelry section where some of the jewelry is inside glass counters, but some is on racks in the aisles. There is a lot of Buccellati gold jewelry there. Also a lot of Gurhan. Some of the Gurhan earrings, which had been around $36.00, were 65% off. (This was at the Tyson's Corners store in Virginia.)

I had gone into the mall to see if I could get to Claire's ( a teenage costume jewelry store) while my daughter was seeing her therapist. I was highly motivated because she had borrowed my brand new 14K gold earrings (the ones I have pictured here) and she loses everything. I thought I should buy her a cheaper pair that she could lose.

So, to make a long story a little shorter, I was planning to go to Claire's. I entered through Macy's, however, and decided it would be stupid not to look at their costume jewelry since I had to pass right through it!

Well, it was amazing!!! I wanted to buy even more for my daughter than I did (but resisted)! And I kept thinking of all of you and the various pieces you would love! There were necklaces with links that looked like hammered gold in every variety. And earrings. And bracelets. And many of the designer pieces we love have been copied by just everybody!!! You really should hold off buying designer jewelry until you have seen what Ralph Lauren and Alfano and a lot of funny names I can no longer hold in my head have out there!!! And some of the pieces don't even seem to have labels! It was simply incredible! I have to go back when I have more time!!! Even today I am wearing a pair of goldplated sterling silver earrings I got on Etsy...and I think they look like 24K. I'm not proud!!!

PS-I got my daughter three pairs of earrings. I started off with one pair, but then I saw the 65% off rack and went back and bought two more pairs off that rack for $13.30 and $12.60 respectively!

Deb
34.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 5:03:32 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
2/21/2009 5:34:03 PM

Deb, that makes sense. Generally, I cringe at paying a premium for designer jewellery, unless it''s a piece that can''t be replicated. Buccellati''s work is simply beautiful and will hold some value, I dare say.

Harriet and other gold lovers, but especially those who love the Honolulu collection...I have to tell you a secret I learned today. Go to Macy''s. To the costume jewelry section where some of the jewelry is inside glass counters, but some is on racks in the aisles. There is a lot of Buccellati gold jewelry there. Also a lot of Gurhan. Some of the Gurhan earrings, which had been around $36.00, were 65% off. (This was at the Tyson''s Corners store in Virginia.)

I had gone into the mall to see if I could get to Claire''s ( a teenage costume jewelry store) while my daughter was seeing her therapist. I was highly motivated because she had borrowed my brand new 14K gold earrings (the ones I have pictured here) and she loses everything. I thought I should buy her a cheaper pair that she could lose.

So, to make a long story a little shorter, I was planning to go to Claire''s. I entered through Macy''s, however, and decided it would be stupid not to look at their costume jewelry since I had to pass right through it!

Well, it was amazing!!! I wanted to buy even more for my daughter than I did (but resisted)! And I kept thinking of all of you and the various pieces you would love! There were necklaces with links that looked like hammered gold in every variety. And earrings. And bracelets. And many of the designer pieces we love have been copied by just everybody!!! You really should hold off buying designer jewelry until you have seen what Ralph Lauren and Alfano and a lot of funny names I can no longer hold in my head have out there!!! And some of the pieces don''t even seem to have labels! It was simply incredible! I have to go back when I have more time!!! Even today I am wearing a pair of goldplated sterling silver earrings I got on Etsy...and I think they look like 24K. I''m not proud!!!

PS-I got my daughter three pairs of earrings. I started off with one pair, but then I saw the 65% off rack and went back and bought two more pairs off that rack for $13.30 and $12.60 respectively!

Deb
34.gif

My secret is out! Macy''s is where I bought my Leslie Greene style necklace and earrings to wear at my wedding. Sterling and crystals are way cheaper than plat/diamonds; but they still looked good!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I was going to attach my wedding photo to show my necklace, but the ''attach file'' mechanism isn''t working for me.
8.gif

Is it me, or is it everybody?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/25/2009 5:35:59 PM
Author: HollyS

I was going to attach my wedding photo to show my necklace, but the ''attach file'' mechanism isn''t working for me.
8.gif

I don''t know, but I was going to ask you to post a wedding photo before I saw that you had tried to do so! (Although I have seen your wedding photos, I don''t know where they are on Pricescope.) Please keep trying!

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that these 20K yellow gold Cathy Carmendy wedding bands were beautiful. I also thought that I would see whether I could attach a photograph to this thread!

Deborah
34.gif

CathyCarmendyWeddingBands.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny,
It''s a neon yellow Danburite.

Deb,
Thanks for the tip!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think of these 14K gold cufflinks? I know nothing about coins, but these are made with an "American Eagle" coin. Is that gold? Is it 24K gold if it is gold? Since it isn''t described as 24K gold, I am assuming that it is not!

Deborah
34.gif

14KGoldCoinCufflinks.jpg

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 7:54:20 PM

Date:
2/25/2009 5:35:59 PM

I was going to attach my wedding photo to show my necklace, but the 'attach file' mechanism isn't working for me.
8.gif

I don't know, but I was going to ask you to post a wedding photo before I saw that you had tried to do so! (Although I have seen your wedding photos, I don't know where they are on Pricescope.) Please keep trying!

Deborah
34.gif
My previous problem was just me and my lazy work computer. Then I had to keep fiddling with this photo to get it to accept. I hope you can see the necklace clearly. It is sterling with a lacy openwork floral design accented with crystals.

another wedding photo.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly,

Beautiful wedding picture of you and your hubby. I adore your pendant. What design is your pendant?? I can''t make it out, but it looks gorgeous
30.gif

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 6:57:13 PM
Author: Linda W
Holly,

Beautiful wedding picture of you and your hubby. I adore your pendant. What design is your pendant?? I can''t make it out, but it looks gorgeous
30.gif
I edited the post above to say it was an openwork floral scroll pattern with crystals. I bought it long before the dress because I wanted something very ''Leslie Greene'' like.

There is something off about that picture though -- my right hand and arm are way too big compared to my body.
33.gif
Wonder what the photog did to the picture on photoshop to cause that? Odd.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 8:11:37 PM

I thought that these 20K yellow gold Cathy Carmendy wedding bands were beautiful. I also thought that I would see whether I could attach a photograph to this thread!

Deborah
34.gif

I adore these!
30.gif

vanessa_b

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 7:08:03 PM
Date: 2/25/2009 8:11:37 PM

Deborah

34.gif

I adore these!
30.gif

Me too! I think I just found a contender for my wedding band.
18.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/2/2009 6:38:28 PM

What do you think of these 14K gold cufflinks? I know nothing about coins, but these are made with an 'American Eagle' coin. Is that gold? Is it 24K gold if it is gold? Since it isn't described as 24K gold, I am assuming that it is not!

I thought I would let everyone know that I looked up these coins on the United States Mint website; they are 22K gold. I believe that only the American Buffalo coin is 24K, although that may not be the case. (I do know for sure that the buffalo coin is 24K!) Here is a desciption of the gold in the American Eagle coins (and thus of the coins used in these cufflinks) from the US Mint website:

"Authorized by the Bullion Coin Act of 1985, American Eagle Gold Bullion Coins quickly became one of the world's leading gold bullion investment coins. Produced from gold mined in the United States, American Eagles are imprinted with their gold content and legal tender 'face' value. An American Eagle's value is based on the market price of its metal content, plus a small premium to cover coinage and distribution.

American Eagles use the durable 22 karat standard established for gold circulating coinage over 350 years ago. They contain their stated amount of pure gold, plus small amounts of alloy. This creates harder coins that resist scratching and marring, which can diminish resale value.
Minted to exacting standards, the obverse (front) design is inspired by what's often considered one of America's most beautiful coins:

Augustus Saint-Gaudens' celebrated $20 gold piece, minted from 1907-1933. The reverse features a nest of American Eagles, symbolizing family tradition and unity."

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/2/2009 6:54:34 PM

My previous problem was just me and my lazy work computer. Then I had to keep fiddling with this photo to get it to accept. I hope you can see the necklace clearly. It is sterling with a lacy openwork floral design accented with crystals.
I cannot see the necklace that well, but the last time I saw your wedding pictures I didn't really know you. You are gorgeous!!! What fabulous eyes you have! What lovely skin! And I love your gown; I love the little, sheer cap sleeves (or are they full length?). The veil is elegant, too. I wish that when I got married I had more time to prepare and had had more exposure to weddings and choices. I would love to be able to make choices over again that I made in the craziest rush. Our invitations went out with millions of errors on them! I kid you not!!! My husband had not even seen them. I had no time to proofread them!!! (And they were in three languages!)

Deb
34.gif

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
My latest great for design is Krikawa! Look them up, their Mokume rings are unbelieveable!!!!!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/27/2009 12:47:35 AM

I just came acrosss these unique bangles: http://www.bullionjewelry.com/styles.html

Harriet,

I just noticed for the first time that you had posted bullion bracelets right before I posted coin cufflinks! Is there something in the water? I honestly hadn''t noticed! I think it is a coincidence that we both had gold bullion on the brain...unless the economy is affecting us in similar ways!!! ;-)

Your friend,
Deb
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 9:07:36 PM

Date:
2/27/2009 12:47:35 AM

I just came acrosss these unique bangles: http://www.bullionjewelry.com/styles.html

Harriet,

I just noticed for the first time that you had posted bullion bracelets right before I posted coin cufflinks! Is there something in the water? I honestly hadn''t noticed! I think it is a coincidence that we both had gold bullion on the brain...unless the economy is affecting us in similar ways!!! ;-)

Your friend,
Deb
34.gif
Deb,
You know what''s funnier? I''d been thinking about assembling a bracelet with bullion coins before your post!
Big hugs!

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 9:00:08 PM

Date:
3/2/2009 6:54:34 PM

I cannot see the necklace that well, but the last time I saw your wedding pictures I didn''t really know you. You are gorgeous!!! What fabulous eyes you have! What lovely skin! And I love your gown; I love the little, sheer cap sleeves (or are they full length?). The veil is elegant, too. I wish that when I got married I had more time to prepare and had had more exposure to weddings and choices. I would love to be able to make choices over again that I made in the craziest rush. Our invitations went out with millions of errors on them! I kid you not!!! My husband had not even seen them. I had no time to proofread them!!! (And they were in three languages!)

Deb
34.gif
Well, thanks for the compliments.
2.gif
Although kudos must be given to our photographer, an old family friend, who made us look like a gazillion bucks. That''s the photo we used for our newspaper announcement. We''re going to be ordering another batch of photos soon, and although I''ve asked her to put the ones we''ve previously chosen up on her website, she has not yet. We''ll get her to do that, and you can see some other photos.

The dress had a beaded net overlay custom designed to match the sheer net 3/4 sleeves which were already part of the dress. Originally the dress was satin from the neckline down. The manufacturer changed the satin to silk satin, put a crinoline underneath so I didn''t need a separate slip, and charged just about $150. more for the addition of the net overlay. I had been looking for something ''different'', couldn''t find just what I wanted, and ended up tweaking a mid-priced design. So, for less than most people spend, I actually got a custom gown. The veil was the bridal salon owner''s choice; and she was right. It made the whole ''look''. It was full length to match the short train on my dress; scalloped edge, no beading.

To all other posters: please excuse the threadjack.
9.gif
Deb and I are getting to know one another.
28.gif

WHY did you have 3 languages on your invites? My invites could not have been easier. Online catalog, order online, print out the proof, had them in hand a week later.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holly,

I just wanted to say. I really love your dress and your veil. They are beautiful. Your dress is so delicate looking. Very beautiful.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 1:29:16 AM
Holly,

I just wanted to say. I really love your dress and your veil. They are beautiful. Your dress is so delicate looking. Very beautiful.
Thank you.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
2/23/2009 6:54:04 PM

I just asked Bill Pearlman (via e-mail) if I could buy these Gurhan earrings from him on layaway (since I absolutely cannot afford them and I am afraid they will get sold out from under me!). What I really want is just to make sure that he will set them aside and not sell the last pair of them to someone else. I just love these earrings!!!

Do you remember these earrings? I have bought them from Bill! He should be sending them out to me within a week, I would guess! Knowing they are coming put me in a Gurhan mood. Today I am wearing my Gurhan 24K hoop earrings each of which has a large South Sea pearl dangling from it.

Deborah
34.gif

GurhanFlakeEarrings1.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How exciting, Deb!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deb,

I remember those earrings and they are beautiful
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
. I am so happy you bought them. I bet you can''t wait to receive them.

Love, Linda

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/4/2009 12:56:51 PM

Today I am wearing my Gurhan 24K hoop earrings each of which has a large South Sea pearl dangling from it.

These earrings were pictured earlier in the thread, but there is so much in this thread that I thought I would repost the picture!

Deborah
34.gif

WhatImWearingToday.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/4/2009 1:10:21 PM

I remember those earrings and they are beautiful
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
. I am so happy you bought them. I bet you can''t wait to receive them.

Thanks so much, Linda. And thanks, Harriet!

Deb
34.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh my Deb--they are splendid. Wonderful choices--all your yellow baubles! MM good. Of course I am envious......
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results