shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you guys think these pics of 4mm square cut natural Columbian emeralds look pretty decent?

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
il_794xN.1662440143_jczg.jpg il_794xN.1662439949_att8.jpg

They are supposed to be natural stones with VS clarity. was thinking about making a teensy 3 stone ring using one of these with a round 3mm accent ruby on each side of it. I already have access to nice quality 3 mm rubies for the accent stones, but I'm curious what your opinion of these puppies are. ;-)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure these are vs clarity. You say they are natural, but do you know to what extend they are treated? The top one doesn’t look “square” if that is what you’re going for. I personally like the color of the second one (on the left of the pic with two), but it might be seriously windowed.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on the price. What you really need to know is are they appropriately priced for the quality.

There are too few pictures and all non natural lighting to make any kind of judgement.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
These photos are so filtered/in such bright light that they are basically worthless. The clarity looks terrible, and "natural" means nothing without knowing the level of treatment. I personally would avoid a seller that is posting photos like this, but if you do proceed, definitely ask about treatments, and get some photos on the hand in natural light.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These photos are so filtered/in such bright light that they are basically worthless. The clarity looks terrible, and "natural" means nothing without knowing the level of treatment. I personally would avoid a seller that is posting photos like this, but if you do proceed, definitely ask about treatments, and get some photos on the hand in natural light.

Agreed.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
With anything like this, I like to see a picture of it in more natural lighting, preferably on someone’s hand. So many people post gem images that are…optimistically lighted.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Depends on the price. What you really need to know is are they appropriately priced for the quality.

There are too few pictures and all non natural lighting to make any kind of judgement.

He is asking $60 for a 5x4 mm square cut emerald, I believe. He is very cool about accepting returns, too. But I was just kind of feeling everybody out to see if it was worth closer examination. Like I've said before, I am sooooo green when it comes to faceted colored stones. ;-)

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you I’d probably double your budget and look for something small but much better quality. Desert Rose on Etsy has some amazing quality small sized gems. Can’t go wrong there.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the advice. But I am seriously NOT a fan--- like, at all. So let's make a deal, pokerface: pretend all of my posts are invisible moving forward, please. I will not engage with you, and I would appreciate the same consideration (as far as I know, there is no "mute" function on this site like there is with instagram, so I will just have to selectively ignore what you write from now on the old-fashioned way).

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
If I were you I’d probably double your budget and look for something small but much better quality. Desert Rose on Etsy has some amazing quality small sized gems. Can’t go wrong there.

Thanks so much! I will definitely check her out.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the advice. But I am seriously NOT a fan--- like, at all. So let's make a deal, pokerface: pretend all of my posts are invisible moving forward, please. I will not engage with you, and I would appreciate the same consideration (as far as I know, there is no "mute" function on this site like there is with instagram, so I will just have to selectively ignore what you write from now on the old-fashioned way).

No advice for the gems but there is an ignore feature here. Just click on the offending posters username and you’ll see the option to ignore. This will hide their posts for you. Good luck with your gem search!

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
No advice for the gems but there is an ignore feature here. Just click on the offending posters username and you’ll see the option to ignore. This will hide their posts for you. Good luck with your gem search!

Thanks! I'll be sure to take advantage of that particular feature PRONTO. ;-)

M

maru8888777

Emeralds are tricky to set, especially if they are heavily included/oiled. I would probably look for a ring that was made already or really be picky about the stones, otherwise, if they are damaged (which is sooo easy to do), you might not really get that much of a deal.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Occasionally MasterCut gems has emeralds that are a very fair price for what they are. I don't see any on their website right now, but they have had some in the past that are from another vendor that they sell for, and they're always labeled "gems from the past." The trade off is that the stones will not be ideal precision cuts like some of the posters here prefer.

They are very friendly and if you email them to ask if they had any additional stock not listed I'm sure they would tell you.

I find that MasterCuts overall has very fair prices and their pictures are always kind of underwhelming as compared to what you receive.

I think it's a nice place to look for options that also has a return policy, unlike many of the vendors of Instagram.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Occasionally MasterCut gems has emeralds that are a very fair price for what they are. I don't see any on their website right now, but they have had some in the past that are from another vendor that they sell for, and they're always labeled "gems from the past." The trade off is that the stones will not be ideal precision cuts like some of the posters here prefer.

They are very friendly and if you email them to ask if they had any additional stock not listed I'm sure they would tell you.

I find that MasterCuts overall has very fair prices and their pictures are always kind of underwhelming as compared to what you receive.

I think it's a nice place to look for options that also has a return policy, unlike many of the vendors of Instagram.

Great thought. They are sooooo nice!

Gemperor

Rough_Rock
Trade
I work with emerald a lot and I think these are fabulous for the price.... I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better even if you double your budget, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Photographing emerald is famously the most difficult stone to capture for several reasons. Magnifying the inclusions is one of them, the inclusions I'm seeing all look about as large as the fine particles of dust that are on the stone. Remember with a stone this size the photograph is blown up so much it's essentially magnified 10x.

In hand I'm guessing you probably won't see the individual inclusions without really staring it down, but you will notice a softness to the stone, especially the one on the right. It's almost like silk in a sapphire the light will not bounce back and create dispersion, but it will brighten the color that you do have, which I think is excellent. If the inclusions disrupt the light travel too much you'll just get a dull looking stone but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

As for not seeing inclusions because they are hidden with oil, you can study the stone by back lighting it to see any weaknesses. If you don't trust yourself to do that, find a jeweler who is not afraid of emerald to study it for you. From the photos I'm not seeing any red flags there.

Just my .02 that I think you have a good deal to grab and no risk if they take refunds.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
I work with emerald a lot and I think these are fabulous for the price.... I think you'd be hard pressed to find something better even if you double your budget, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Photographing emerald is famously the most difficult stone to capture for several reasons. Magnifying the inclusions is one of them, the inclusions I'm seeing all look about as large as the fine particles of dust that are on the stone. Remember with a stone this size the photograph is blown up so much it's essentially magnified 10x.

In hand I'm guessing you probably won't see the individual inclusions without really staring it down, but you will notice a softness to the stone, especially the one on the right. It's almost like silk in a sapphire the light will not bounce back and create dispersion, but it will brighten the color that you do have, which I think is excellent. If the inclusions disrupt the light travel too much you'll just get a dull looking stone but I'm guessing that's not the case here.

As for not seeing inclusions because they are hidden with oil, you can study the stone by back lighting it to see any weaknesses. If you don't trust yourself to do that, find a jeweler who is not afraid of emerald to study it for you. From the photos I'm not seeing any red flags there.

Just my .02 that I think you have a good deal to grab and no risk if they take refunds.

Thanks! The seller seems very honest/transparent. And his tiny 3mm natural Columbian emeralds are really nice (and at a fantastic price).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results