shape
carat
color
clarity

do you guys help a girl out with finding pearls?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to the forum, and you have great taste in pearls. The size will be timeless and not too big or small and the quality is great too. I hope you love them.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They were going to be a gift for my mother for my wedding. She's in her 50s.... originally I was going to spend more, but I'm going to get a present for his mom too, so I figured I'd split the up.

I think she would like these too. But less classic.

http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/18-Inch-Graduated-Pearl-Strand-60--110mm_p_401.html

But I this the others are higher quality? They seem rounder.

PS thanks for the help!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Hi Niel - Welcome to the Pearls Forum.

Those are just representative pictures. To get rounder pearls you should order Pearl Paradise's AAA quality. You can also specify different overtones. Some strands will be more creamy white, others more rosy white and still others will be silvery white. The creamy white will have a more classic look, but I find that the silvery white pops better on my skin tones. There is no right or wrong, it just depends on the person which strand will look the best. Sort of like yellow gold or white gold metals sometimes look better on certain people.

A fully graduated strand, where the center pearl is much larger and the other pearls in the strand grade off in size, is more old-fashioned, dating from when all pearls were natural. Since the days of cultured pearls, pearls are graded into hanks of different sizes, so more modern strands have more uniform pearl size around the strand. But, you can still request a strand that is graduated in size, if you like that look.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1382380531|3541771 said:
Hi Niel - Welcome to the Pearls Forum.

Those are just representative pictures. To get rounder pearls you should order Pearl Paradise's AAA quality. You can also specify different overtones. Some strands will be more creamy white, others more rosy white and still others will be silvery white. The creamy white will have a more classic look, but I find that the silvery white pops better on my skin tones. There is no right or wrong, it just depends on the person which strand will look the best. Sort of like yellow gold or white gold metals sometimes look better on certain people.

A fully graduated strand, where the center pearl is much larger and the other pearls in the strand grade off in size, is more old-fashioned, dating from when all pearls were natural. Since the days of cultured pearls, pearls are graded into hanks of different sizes, so more modern strands have more uniform pearl size around the strand. But, you can still request a strand that is graduated in size, if you like that look.

I had noticed some of PPs things ask if you want to upgrade to AAA some don't. Do I have to call them.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PP is very helpful-- use Live Chat or phone to ensure you get just what you need. They can also email you side by side photos so you can pick the one you like best. (See my earlier post also about another reliable vendor.)

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I usually call as I always get custom things that are hand picked for me. That is so nice you're selecting things for your mother. I hope your wedding is perfect.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you rather have a AA+ in that larger size or a AAA smaller? I have a strand of AA+ from PP that my FI got me for x Mas. Just the small kind. Got them for cheap on thanksgiving I'm sure. I'm content with them but I'm not a pearl expert. I have some tiffany pearl earrings (someone bought me then, but I know the issues about tiffany pearls) anyways. They are nice and big and round. I really like the size.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be inclined to spend a little bit fore and get this strand of white baroque CFWPs from POJ, as it has great lustre and very good size being 10-11mm, very grand and appropriate for a mother of the bride IMHO.

http://www.pearlsofjoy.com/Baroque-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace-18-100-110mm_p_224.html#

Baroques may not be everyone's cup of tea, however this strand really appeals to me due to the shape of the pearls. I would ask to see pics of the actual strand I would be getting first though, in case the shapes are not as pleasing as the ones that can be seen on their website via the link.

PP has a similar strand, however, the shapes are not as pleasing to my eyes as the POJ strand:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/100110-mm-White-Freshwater-Baroque-Pearl-Necklace2021.aspx

DK :))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Niel - It all depends on the strand whether the larger AA+ trumps a smaller AAA. I happen to have an 8 - 9 mm AA+ strand from Pearl Paradise, and it is so much better and less expensive than what my jeweler brought in for me to see, that I am quite satisfied.

Tell you what, our friend 4Ranch Girl is going in person to Pearl Paradise on Thursday and she is doing some personal shopping for some people here on the Pearl Forum. Why don't you let her know in her thread "October 24 Shopping Trip to Pearl Paradise" what you are looking for, and she can pick out something nice for your mom? After she makes the selection, you work with the associates directly at PP to finalize the purchase.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl|1382386825|3541830 said:
Niel - It all depends on the strand whether the larger AA+ trumps a smaller AAA. I happen to have an 8 - 9 mm AA+ strand from Pearl Paradise, and it is so much better and less expensive than what my jeweler brought in for me to see, that I am quite satisfied.

Tell you what, our friend 4Ranch Girl is going in person to Pearl Paradise on Thursday and she is doing some personal shopping for some people here on the Pearl Forum. Why don't you let her know in her thread "October 24 Shopping Trip to Pearl Paradise" what you are looking for, and she can pick out something nice for your mom? After she makes the selection, you work with the associates directly at PP to finalize the purchase.[/quo

Hmm that's a good idea. I really just want a good strand of those bigger whites. She wears lots of black so I'd provably want a greyer or metallic strand. Should I ask her to look? I feel like that's a lot to ask of someone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,

I know what you mean, as I would not feel comfortable in asking a relative stranger such a big favour myself.

DK :))

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I always suggest to my customers buying for others that they take a good look at what the customer already wears all the time - most people your mother's age have one or two 'go to' strands and if you study them they will tell you length, style, bead size and colour she likes unconsciously. It usually works and is at least better than blind guessing or getting what you would like which could be totally different (for example my daughter doesn't even like pearls!)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearlescence|1382389609|3541862 said:
I always suggest to my customers buying for others that they take a good look at what the customer already wears all the time - most people your mother's age have one or two 'go to' strands and if you study them they will tell you length, style, bead size and colour she likes unconsciously. It usually works and is at least better than blind guessing or getting what you would like which could be totally different (for example my daughter doesn't even like pearls!)

She works in an office wears lots of black but also other colors. I think shed appreciate round more than the unique shapes. And the tone I think she's like a grey or metallic, so it goes with her black clothes she wears often to work. I had been putting in a bit of thought for them. Plus, her and I have similar style when it comes to classic looks.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Niel, 4 ranchgirl shops for all of us. I will call her to make sure she see's this post. NL

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Niel, I called 4ranchgirl at work and she told me to have you add what you would like her to find in the vault to her list here.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/october-24th-shopping-trip-to-pearl-paradise.194371/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/october-24th-shopping-trip-to-pearl-paradise.194371/[/URL]
She said she will try what ever you want on so you can see the item on a neck during her video chat on Thursday. You can watch it live or at your convenience later.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NacreLover|1382396032|3541920 said:
Niel, I called 4ranchgirl at work and she told me to have you add what you would like her to find in the vault to her list here.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/october-24th-shopping-trip-to-pearl-paradise.194371/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/october-24th-shopping-trip-to-pearl-paradise.194371/[/URL]
She said she will try what ever you want on so you can see the item on a neck during her video chat on Thursday. You can watch it live or at your convenience later.

Oh good I've gone ahead and done that. You guys are over and above helpful.

Even more so than I expected from an already generous forum.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one point of clarification: I think you may be using "metallic" to mean a color, whereas it is generally used to refer to a type of luster -- specifically, highly reflective surface luster, such as one sees on metal. Any color of pearls can have metallic luster-- you can have white pearls with metallic luster, peach/pink pearls with metallic luster, etc.

Akoya pearls tend to have that harder kind of luster, while freshwater pearls generally have a softer luster.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pearlsngems|1382401571|3541965 said:
Just one point of clarification: I think you may be using "metallic" to mean a color, whereas it is generally used to refer to a type of luster -- specifically, highly reflective surface luster, such as one sees on metal. Any color of pearls can have metallic luster-- you can have white pearls with metallic luster, peach/pink pearls with metallic luster, etc.

Akoya pearls tend to have that harder kind of luster, while freshwater pearls generally have a softer luster.

I'd like them a white color with a metallic undertone. Like grey? I just think that would go with black better than ones with a pink undergone. Eight? Luster is a kind of umderrtone?

I'm new. I'm an idiot. Sorry. :oops:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Metallic" isn't an undertone. If you ask for white pearls you will end up with white, regardless of the undertone.

Even a white pearl with a silver undertone will still be a very white looking pearl.

It sounds to me like you are actually looking for pearls with a body color (not undertone) of gray. These could be dyed freshwaters (not expensive) or Tahitians (definitely not in the price range you stated.)

Have you considered getting lavender colored freshwater pearls for her instead? There are different shades of lavender, and the color is natural, not dyed. Some are warmer shades, sort of a coppery lavender. And they are more likely to be in your price range.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no. I want white pearls.

i was just saying in response to this

Those are just representative pictures. To get rounder pearls you should order Pearl Paradise's AAA quality. You can also specify different overtones. Some strands will be more creamy white, others more rosy white and still others will be silvery white. The creamy white will have a more classic look, but I find that the silvery white pops better on my skin tones. There is no right or wrong, it just depends on the person which strand will look the best. Sort of like yellow gold or white gold metals sometimes look better on certain people

sorry if im being unclear, i do not want grey or lavender pearls. I want white ones.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand you now.

So, ask for white FWP with silver undertones and you should be okay.

The pearls do not need to be metallic in luster. The higher the grade, the more lustrous and the more nearly round they will be. They will not be perfectly round as there is no bead inside to make them so (unlike akoya pearls.)

See this page about PP's grading for their FWP and what the grades mean:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Freshwater-pearl-grading.htm

Note that this is PP's system of grading. There are no standardized grades for pearls, so if you buy from another vendor, you should check with them to see what their grades mean.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree with PearlsnGems, I think you want the white pearls with a silver undertone. Something to consider is what size you would like..if you mom is petite then 7-8mm will look fine..if she's larger then you might want 9-10mm . Another thing to consider is a pearl pendant..that works with everything as well.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Explaining the colour possibilities to a pearl newborn such as the OP is difficult. Hard to believe the variation in white which pearls make possible! I often reflect on their ability to be subtle about shades of colour, overtone and undertone and even depth of metallic lustre when I am trying to pair for earrings - finding exact matches in a kilo of 8mm buttons you think would be easy....hours later.....(and that doesn't throw in the fractions of a mm in size and the depth of the dome and the shape of the dome and...and...and ....,exits with cool compress....

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you have a budget to consider, so here's another thing to keep in mind as 4RanchGirl helps you shop for your pearls:

The price of pearls takes a big jump upward at the 8mm+ mark. A strand of 8-9mm pearls will be a lot more expensive (twice as expensive) as a strand of 7-8mm pearls.

For example, on the PP website, check out the price jump between the two sizes of these metallic white pearls (note the prices are for 16 inches length; see drop down menu for 18 inch length):

7-8mm round to near round: http://www.pearlparadise.com/70-to-80-mm-Metallic-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace4450.aspx
8-8.5mm round to near round: http://www.pearlparadise.com/8085-mm-Metallic-White-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace4510.aspx

Here is a strand of metallic white "near perfect round" 7.5-8mm pearls-- maybe these would be not too far over your stated budget?

http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-Metallic-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace4884.aspx

Metallic whites cost a bit more than regular whites so again, if budget is tight, think of AAA instead.

But I will say the metallic whites are beautiful-- I have the 8-8.5mm ones-- they are just not as nearly round as you might wish, unless you get the 7.5-8mm Freshadama grade.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some photos of freshwater strands. The top are AA+ freshwater and the bottom are Metallic white freshwaters from Pearl Paradise. The earrings are Metallic white freshwaters from Pearl Paradise. The green undertone is very apparent and these metallic pearls are very striking when placed in a pile with my other white freshwater pearls.

metallic_amp_reg2.jpg

metallicandregularfreshwater.jpg

metallicdropearrings.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NL, I do love that second strand. Both are considered white?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1382379312|3541757 said:
They were going to be a gift for my mother for my wedding. She's in her 50s.... originally I was going to spend more, but I'm going to get a present for his mom too, so I figured I'd split the up.

Hmm... can you pls share more re: your mother's height/build? Think it matters a lot.
e.g. I'm 5'7 and 8-8.5mm white pearls look small on me, but big and fab on my friend's wife who is maybe 5'. AND, she only needed 16 inches while I needed around 19 inches (and 10mm or larger for the same effect).

Btw I wear lots of blacks too and I think the metallic whites suggested would be great.

Also, perhaps a double strand would be great on your mother, budget permitting. Am thinking of the Queen and her fab triple strand when I type this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results