shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you give your parents your bed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
When your parent/s come to visit, do you give them your bed?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents are local. Greg's parents are not. We had a guest room for visitors previously. Now the guest room is the nursery, so when family comes to visit, they will stay in a hotel...unless it's someone visiting solo, then they would take the couch (until we get a sleeper chair in our office).

I would probably only give parents the bed if I was single so I could sleep on the couch, and there was nowhere else for them (guest room). Also, I don't think our parents would even WANT to sleep in our bed.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents are only an hour away so obviously they never stay with us. My husband''s parents are divorced (his mom is single and his dad is remarried) and his mom is the only one who stays with us. When his dad and his wife come they stay in a hotel...love that!
3.gif
My MIL stays in the guest room when she comes...that''s what it''s for!

I think it''s pretty weird to give guests your bed unless you''re single, in a one bedroom, and 2 people are visiting you. Other than that I think guests should go in the guest room or the couch.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I give my mom my bed when she comes to stay displacing both my hubby and I to the air mattress or couch. I was just wondering what other people do. My master bedroom is my sanctuary but considering I don't have another "real" bed, I give it up for her. Just want to see what the norm is.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
No, they sleep in the guest room. But my stepfather often has an afternoon nap in our bedroom as it''s cooler and darker and it has a TV. When we move to our new house I am going to make sure we have a TV in the guest room. With cable.

In fact, they are sleeping in the guest room right now as they are here for a visit (to watch Tiger play in the Australian Masters).

soocool

Ideal_Rock
We have a guest room as well as a sleeper sofa in the family room (can be closed off so can have privacy). No my bed is for me.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Nope, they get the bed in the guest room. It's a queen just like our bed, so there would be no point in giving them ours.

ETA: Agree with Mara that my parents wouldn't even want to sleep in my bed.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
We did when we lived in our condo and all we had was a full-sized futon in the other room and only a single A/C in the bedroom. My sister and her husband gave us their bed a few months ago because DH had previously thrown out his back on their really lumpy and old guest mattress and I was majorly pregnant.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 12:23:36 AM
Author: Mara
My parents are local. Greg''s parents are not. We had a guest room for visitors previously. Now the guest room is the nursery, so when family comes to visit, they will stay in a hotel...unless it''s someone visiting solo, then they would take the couch (until we get a sleeper chair in our office).

I would probably only give parents the bed if I was single so I could sleep on the couch, and there was nowhere else for them (guest room). Also, I don''t think our parents would even WANT to sleep in our bed.
Same here. Air mattress in the office would do nicely if we needed somewhere for them to sleep!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. In fact, I find the idea somewhat icky.

But my parents probably wouldn''t stay overnight at our place, most likely they would check in to a hotel.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
We only have one bedroom, so yes, we give them our room and we stay on the sofa bed. That's how it's always been done in my family. With FI's family they are only 25 min away so there hasn't ever been a need. If they ever needed to stay in our home, we'd give them our room.

If we had a guest room, with a comfortable bed, we'd give them that room since there would be no need to use our room.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we first got married, we only had one bedroom, so yes, we gave our parents the bed. Now we have a few different options for them, the futon/feather bed, or the Air mattress (My parents likes the futon, FIL/MIL likes the air mattress) or my DD twin bed if only one of them shows up.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 12:01:54 AM
Author:heraanderson
When your parent/s come to visit, do you give them your bed?
We have an air mattress for company who choses to stay with us. . .never have we given company our bed. Most of the time, out of town family stays in hotels. My inlaws live close by and my parents are gone (as in dead/disappeared) so they''ve never been in any of the houses we''ve had.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I would if we had no guest room. This hasn''t come up for us though. When we were in an apt, my parents never partcularly wanted to stay over and now that we''re in a house, we have a guest room for the parents (and other guests...but so far have only been parental overnight guests).

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Funny,this just came up with my parents and me. They''ll be visiting for Thanksgiving (and my sister too), and we offered them our king sized bed, knowing that the only other place we could offer them to sleep is in our double bed in the guest room. I thought they''d be more comfortable in a bigger bed. My mom thought my suggestions was ridiculous and was opposed to the idea. So they''ll be staying in our guest room and we''ll be in our own bed (and my sister, well, that''s yet to be decided...the couch or an air bed on the floor probably).

Kay

Ideal_Rock
When I was younger and single and living in a 1-bedroom apartment, my parents would stay in my room when they visited and I would sleep on the coach. Now, we have a guest room with a queen bed. When both sets of grand parents came for DD''s first Christmas last year, DH and I stayed on the futon in the office so our parents could have the two beds. They are older and have various health problems, so we felt funny about offering the futon. They all said no when we offered our room initially, but we talked them into it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ve always had a guest room but I guess if we didn''t and my parents couldn''t/wouldn''t stay in a hotel I would offer it to them.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
No. My bedroom is entirely private, no exceptions.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I can''t imagine a situation where I would. I think if there was no other suitable option in-house, they would stay at a hotel.

However, my dad did once give my brother and sil HIS bed. He lives in a 2 br house, and there was a twin bed in the second room that I slept in. My dad often falls asleep on the couch watching tv and sleeps there the whole night, so he felt like my bro and sil should take his bed. They did once, but I could tell they totally felt weird about it. Any other time, they slept on the couches or floor.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup! Until very recently, we didn''t have a guest bedroom. So whenever we had Mr. Kama''s parents over, we would give them our bed and we''d sleep on an air mattress in the living room. This concept was so foreign to my husband, since his older brother make his parents sleep on an air mattress and displacing someone out of their own bed is not a norm in their immediate friend/family circle. But in the Indian custom, guests are treated like God, and I would never let someone older sleep on the floor while I sleep comfortably on a bed!

However, we now have a guest bedroom since my brother moved out from our condo. We got a really nice orthopedic bed (my father has slipped disk) and the bed is much more comfortable than our own bed! So henceforth we''ll be placing our parents in the guest bedroom.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
When my family visits, they stay in hotels 99% of the time. My parents are divorced and even though they get along perfectly fine, they don''t come up at the same time. We used to have two guest bedrooms, but we decided to give Gray the other bedroom because he wakes his sister up a lot.

When my mom came up last week, she did stay with us and she was in the guest bedroom. When Nate''s parents visit, they always stay with us and they always stay in the guest room. My dad and stepmom like to get a hotel because they usually come up with my siblings. However, Logan and Will normally like to stay with us because they really love being around Nate.

However, even if my parents were to ask for my bed, they wouldn''t get it. Defeats the purpose of guest rooms.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we lived in an apartment and had no proper guest bed I would certainly offer (and have offered) my bed to my mom. If both of my parents come or if my DH''s parents come they got a hotel.

Now that we have a guest bedroom of course they sleep there. But I feel that if there is only 1 real bed that it''s appropriate to offer it to your guests if they are your parents or close relatives.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I don''t. They don''t give me theirs either.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH''s dad and step mom always get a hotel, which I LOVE them for. The bed in our guest room is a twin, so it''s fine for DH''s mom or my mom if she visits solo, but if my parents stay, yes, we give up our bed and sleep on the air mattress in the guest room (which is what guests usually get if they come as a couple, but my dad has arthritis and I cannot fathom giving him an air mattress to sleep on). But, our household is sans children - by the time we have kids, I hope we''ll have a guest room with a full or queen mattress in the basement. Sigh.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I''ll give up my room for pretty much anyone. I was raised to always try to convenience the guest. My parents routinely give up their room when we have company, so I do the same. I think nothing of it, it''s not a hassle really.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2009 1:14:55 AM
Author: trillionaire
I''ll give up my room for pretty much anyone. I was raised to always try to convenience the guest. My parents routinely give up their room when we have company, so I do the same. I think nothing of it, it''s not a hassle really.
that''s VERY thoughtful of you! I really do admire that... but I wouldn''t want your bed for the same reason I don''t want others in my bed.... creepy sex thoughts! lol

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
There is something creepy about having my parents sleep in my husband''s and my bed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results