shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you buy designer because....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 12:43:13 PM
Author: princesss
If I buy something nice, I want it to last. I don't mind when a certain style or pattern becomes associated with a brand (like Burberry's plaid), but I don't want to wear the logo. I know they serve the same purpose, but I don't feel like carting around a bag with Cs everywhere so people know it's Coach, or a wallet with the intertwined Cs so I can tell people 'It's real Chanel!' (as a friend of mine does), but patterns/colours/styles don't bother me. A trained eye can catch a Birkin bag without Hermes needing to draw an 'H' all over it, after all.
2.gif

I haven't bought designer jeans because I'm still trying to lose weight, and while I think they're worth it if the quality is good and you can wear them for a few years, I won't shell out the money if I'm actively trying to not be that size anymore.

Some things I love became trendy (the Le Pliage bag from Longchamps - I've had mine for 3 years and I haven't killed it yet! I'm totally in love), and some things haven't (I've got gorgeous brown leather boots that I adore, but have never seen anything similar on other people).

But I really only buy designer if I think the quality (and this includes aesthetic appeal) merits the price.
same here with the longchamps. Been carrying their bags for over 10-15 years since I had family in Paris (and it was not considered designer then..more lower end!). Now everyone has them

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I buy quality, and am loyal to certain manufacturers based on that. I like fine quality fabrics, tailoring, and finishing and if that means buying "designer" then so be it.

cheers--Sharon

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
My daughter is 13 years old and isn''t into designers or fads. For her it''s about comfort, does she look nice in it and how much does it cost. My DD is VERY frugal, infact she prides herself on it. One of her Christmas requests was that we allow her to open a savings account to put her allowance in. DD loves and lives in Old Navy clothes. I took her this past weekend for some new shirts (she''s had a height growth spurt!) and she bought 5 Old Navy $5.00 thermal shirts. She loved the feel, the fit and the price even though I was the one paying for it! I know I''m very lucky and keep waiting for the day that she comes home demanding a pair of Uggs
2.gif

For myself, I love Old Navy shirts, tops and sweaters! I haven''t tried their jeans yet. I''m currently losing weight and once I hit my goal, I admit that I plan to spulrge on some AG jeans. My friends that have them can''t stop raving about how amazing the fit and quality is. I wear jeans everyday so to me, it''s an investment.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 12:50:46 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I buy quality, and am loyal to certain manufacturers based on that. I like fine quality fabrics, tailoring, and finishing and if that means buying ''designer'' then so be it.

cheers--Sharon
ditto.

Truth be told, I don''t buy designer much. In fact, the only thing I own that you''d know was designer off the bat, are my Uggs (just bought another pair
20.gif
), because it says right on the heel. I, personally, don''t buy anything with logos all over it - I just don''t like how it looks. So unless it''s something really special, AND is top quality (something I will use OFTEN - I''m a wears-her-stuff-out kind of girl), I won''t spend large amounts of money on it.

Unfortunately I can see where the pressure comes from to buy Uggs for school-aged girls. In fact, it''s what most girls (ages 1 and up) are wearing right now, esp with the cold spell we''ve been having. For a 12 year old? I''d probably cave. For a 6 year old? No way.

Designer handbags, jeans, phones, comp, etc., I don''t think I could justify such expensive items for my young (imaginary

9.gif
) daughter.

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
I have certain designer items, but they were all gifts. I have a small Coach bag, which was a gift from my husband (and he bought it at an outlet store so it was at a large discount). I have Cole Haan boots which I absolutely LOVE and my cousin convinced me to get because she had them and they last forever - so when my stepmom asked what I wanted for my birthday a couple years ago I told her I wanted those boots. They''re suede and high heel and soo comfortable - and they''ve lasted for around 4 years already. They were bought at half price and the amount of use I have gotten out of them has more than made up for the cost (especially since it was a birthday present!) I also just received a Cole Haan bag from DH as a gift because he saw it on sale and had a coupon so he got it for a great price and knew I would get a lot of use out of it. I personally would *never* spend more than $100 on a bag because to me, it''s just not worth it. So if I can''t get it for less than that then I won''t get it.

I don''t seek out designer items, mainly because I hate spending extra money on unnecessary things. If I can get a cheap wallet that I like, I''ll take that one over a $200 Coach wallet any day of the week. If I can find a great sale on a designer item and I think it''s great quality and I''ll get a lot of use out of it, then I''ll buy it - but that''s because of the value. If it''s not that expensive because of the sale and it''s great quality so it will last longer, then I''ll buy it (or ask for it as a gift if there are any occasions coming up).

As for Uggs - I love my Uggs and have had them for 5 years already. But I wouldn''t buy them for a young child. I would consider buying them as a Hanukkah present or birthday present for a teenager whose feet have stopped growing so they could get several years of wear out of them, but I wouldn''t buy it for a kid who would only wear them for a year and then they wouldn''t fit anymore.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't buy designer if I can find something similar that I like for less, but I don't not buy designer on principle either. I just buy what I like if I have the funds - and most of the time I don't, thanks to the upcoming wedding and PS
11.gif

I really don't like bags and sunglasses and such with huge logos on them - I'm not a mobile billboard, thank you very much!

ETA: following trends was so much more important to me in HS than it is now! I rarely got the items I wanted - the latest phone, designer jeans, etc. as my parents didn't see the point, but I did buy myself a North Face bookbag to keep up, and I must say I'm glad I did - it's still my everyday backpack 8 years later. I would absolutely get one for a cousin if asked - they're worth every penny.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think I''d ever buy fakes for my kids either. I''d prefer to sit and explain the value of money and material things to my kids and give them the reason for my refusal than buy them the fakes just to placate them. Buying fakes of items they want doesn''t really teach them anything.

As for myself, I''ve started buying "designer" items in the last 1-2 years only. Even then, they''re usually things that I buy because of excellent quality, workmanship etc. Most can''t even be identified by the general public, even though they would cost on par or more than some of the more visually available desginer brands. I also actively stay away from things that have obvious logos or designs - I hate this increasing trend of needing to ''fit'' in, so I'' much rather do my own thing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I was kid we moved to Nor Cal and suddenly everyone had REAL Guess Jeans (and yes, they could tell if they were knock offs) and Keds. Keds were overpriced (and still are) and you could get a pair without the label for 1/4 of the Keds price. But fitting in was a nightmare at 10 years old. And let me tell you... not having those items sucked and as dramatic as it sounds, did affect me for years. Not the shoes themselves... but not being considered 'fashionable' but being considered 'cheap' (my mom bought me the off labels, not really seeing a difference, and I was concious enough of our financials with a single mom not to say anything about it). One of my main detractors used to stick 1.99 price stickers on m when I wasn't looking and then the girls would do what girls do... be mean. This went on for a full year and then only got worse. And I went to highschool with this girl. 8 years. So, for me... If you can afford them and it's UGGS not Channel... just do it. You aren't buying an item, you are buying acceptance. At that age it's all about visual conformity.

But that doesn't mean you can't use it as a lesson to your kid about value and about independance. You can buy her the Uggs, but make it clear that 'designer items' are earned, as a privledge. And if the grades don't stay up and the behavoir doesn't stay good, and the chores dont' get done... no UGGS. Nothing. And then make it clear that while you are buying hte Uggs, she should consider that the extra XXX for the label could buy other things for her instead, and that going against the crowd and setting your own trends is better than following the herd sometimes. I'm not saying it will all stick THEN. But years later, your kid might remember and opt to buy the non-label version for herself and save herself the money.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do NOT buy designer stuff *unless* it is a quality issue. I actually turn up my nose at the waste associated with such silly notions as superiority *because* it is a brand or oh look I have so much to spend etc. When I was in high school I wouldn''t wear jeans that weren''t guess so I get it, but I''m over it. I am however ALL about quality and if getting a particular quality comes with a designer label I won''t reject it either. My no-name leather purse from Florence, Italy is NICER than any Prada I''ve ever seen and was only $40 instead of $400. I could care less what anyone else thinks - people who are label snobs are not people whom I consider wise or whose opinions I value.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
DD likes to buy some designer pieces that she considers investment pieces. Like a Burberry coat, for example. Today I got her a Prada bag as a gift for graduating early. This Prada bag is large, black and can go with her into the work force and again an investment piece.

She will go without just to be able to buy something she considers a classic staple.

She''s got great taste. And has bought many things on her own. Love that!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I will take the same method my mom did when I was young. If I needed a pair of jeans she would pay for a "normal" pair and if I HAD to have designer I had to pay the difference. Amazing how when I was forced to pay for things it no longer seemed as critical.
3.gif
I always had jobs when I was younger. I mowed our lawn and started babysitting at 11. My parents could afford to buy be those guess jeans (I remember that fad Gypsy!) but they chose to teach me the value of money. I learned I wasn''t entitled.

I do buy some things designer and some things generic. I think it is a good mix. Like other people have mentioned some things are better quality and are worth it to me. May not be worth it to everyone but some things are important to me. I don''t like to wear labels though. Not always avoidable but given the choice I rather not be a walking billboard.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Here's the problem that I see though - knockoffs are knockoffs BECAUSE of the quality issue.

I had fake uggs in college because I needed cheap boots. I really liked them. But then I tried on a real pair of Uggs and figured out what I was missing. A real leather bag can be carried for years longer than a faux leather bag. A name brand has a lifetime warranty in most cases. I justify my Coach habit because I truly spend about what other people do on handbags because I'll carry the same bag (that I found on supreme clearance) for the amount of time that friends will carry 4-6 different $20-30 bags. I grew up with a lot of designer labels because my mom has a weakness for them. She taught me to love quality products. But the fact of the matter is quality ain't cheap.

When I was little, I remember wanting a Unionbay shirt because all of my friends had them. They were $20 at Kohl's. Mom was fine with it, because it was cheap (even if the baggy shirt and horizontal stripes looked AWFUL on me). I think most parents would do the same thing. But when it's expensive, all of a sudden, we're supposed to teach our kids lessons about value and quality, yadda yadda. But that's counteractive to playing into the fad in the first place. To me, the DJ was opening a basket of worms by getting the fake uggs for his kid.

But - this is one of those things that I really don't look forward to as a parent. I don't like knockoffs - I think they're cheap and tend to be made with unfair labor practices, and a whole host of other issues - but these days, really, everything is a knockoff. It's hard to avoid designs that are knock-offs. I had no idea who Tory Burch was until Target was carrying fakey flats - I just knew I liked the flats. I think this is a tough issue because we assume kids have a harder time deciphering between a style and a brand than adults do, but really, they're so much more sensitive to it.

I think the bottom line is that when it comes to kids and designers, a parent has to set boundaries that they're comfortable with and simply ignore the static at the fringe. This isn't a new issue - my mom still complains about not having a store-bought dress until she was in 5th grade (and now, I think OMG, how fabulous would it be to have all hand-made, tailored clothing?!), it's just that the middle class has access to more (supposedly) luxury brands. Whatever is branded is going to be coveted no matter what the age of the consumer is. Teaching a kid about consumerism and having a real sit-down about income and earning is probably a good start, but I think it needs to be taught early and consistently if it's going to stick...which is probably why I feel so torn on the topic and why so many parents buy their kids real Uggs.

ETA: Tacori, I love that plan with paying the difference. My DH's mom did that with him too, and I think it does give a person a really good sense of what an item is worth to you. Sometimes it's worth that extra $, and sometimes it isn't.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of my clothes are from the thrift store.

I do look for designer labels since the fabric and sewing is often higher quality.
When I get it home I use a razor blade to carefully remove any logo or company name from the exterior of the garment.

I do not like to be a walking billboard for a company unless they mail me regular checks.
My self worth comes from who I am and what I do, not the brands I own.

People who are impressed with designer labels are not impressed with me.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
buy designer stuff for a 12 year old? *laughs*

uh uh. if they want designer they need to go make some designer money.

I didn''t have designer anything, I grew up in the projects. We didn''t have "Gucci" we had "Cucci" lol. If that child has her own money then sure within reason she can spend it to get what she wants.

At the age of 14 I decided I was sick of wearing Kmart and payless so I got a job. But even with that job I had to stay on the honor roll, I also had to put money into savings every week. the other was play money and boy did I treat it as such!

And amazingly, in college I worked at Kmart..lol
9.gif

A parent should not be held hostage to his or her childs "need" for designer clothing. There''s plenty of odd jobs that a 12 year old can earn that type of money (mowing the lawn comes to mind).

-A

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m really not into owning designer items, they aren''t extremely important to me, but I did treat myself to a coach bag from one of their outlets, and it''s really nice but plain leather, and you can''t really tell from looking at it that it''s a coach bag. (it was also a great price!) And it''s a discontinued style...people will ask it it''s coach...and I have to say, I have received many compliments on it, and I''ve never been complimented on a purse before. So I guess I will buy designer if I really love the style, but I really don''t buy it just to impress. My husband, oddly enough, is more into names than I am, which I find a little disconcerting sometimes. I don''t know, I have a feeling he sees it as a sign of success or something...he''s not extremely showy about it, but I could tell he got a kick out of me having a coach bag...and I think it''s pretty crazy for kids to have designer items, it''s a little scary that that kind of competition starts so early.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
A note on Uggs--my mom got them for my sisters and I about 10 years ago. I still have the same pair and wear them all the time. So I must say that they have lasted a long time.

I''m not really into brands, per se. If I like an item, it being a certain brand doesn''t sway me towards or against it. On the other hand, if I like a specific item, I don''t see the point in buying a knockoff if it''s not going to be what I want. Why spend $50 on a pair of fake Uggs that I won''t like as well and will fall apart after a year or two when I could spend $100, enjoy them and keep them for years? I got a pair of Hunter wellies for the same reason--they are very well made and will last forever.

I did get my first true "designer" thing ever for Christmas this year--a Burberry umbrella. I didn''t want it because of the name, I''m just a sucker for plaid. And it was half off from Gilt, so I didn''t feel super guilty about it. I have to say, every time I''ve used it, it makes me smile. Not because it''s a certain brand, but because I love the item itself.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 10:53:13 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
I do buy certain designer items (jeans, handbags) because I truly enjoy the quality, fit and design. I also enjoy the fact the I know I am supporting talented and creative people who are making a career out of their creativity (this is especially true for my handbags).

Ditto! I buy things for fit and quality, but I have to prioritize and work within a budget. I spend more for things that will last like shoes or a handbag, but less for things that don't matter to me or will be short-lived. Sometimes this means designer and sometimes Target or Old Navy, just depends. When I do buy something designer, it's usually not something others would recognize. In fact I usually stay far away from items with logos all over them!

I don;t expect to buy designer things for my kid(s) for a variety of reasons.... but mainly, if things are handed to them at a young age, I don't think they will appreciate or value it. In college Coach was all the rage and I did have the money to buy one, but didn't feel I really could "afford" it, so I waited. As soon as I started work and had my own paycheck, I bought one and loved it, and took much better care of it than I would have if it had just been given to me for the asking.

About the uggs... if my kid wanted it for the label, then absolutely not. If they could make the case that it was a truly better made product, more comfortable, better fitting, and would truly last much longer than the generic, then yes, I would consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results