shape
carat
color
clarity

do women lie about the size/weight of her e-ring? anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t heard women lie about their rings, but I think men tell some whoppers!!! I''ve had male friends grossly over and underestimate mutual friends'' stones, and what I love even better is when they try to estimate cost...not only is this incredibly tacky, but they''re usually way off.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 4:48:58 PM
Author: Steel

In the interest of full disclosure when mentioning size do you have also have to mention if your performance has been enhanced? If a lady has a 2ct clarity enhanced, for example? And what if she does not know it is not all natural. Would the gentleman mention to her that the performance was enhanced artificially? Hmmmm
he should show her the lab report assuring her it is all natural with no enhancement. women don''t like being misled.
28.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/26/2008 5:53:12 PM
Author: Elmorton
I haven''t heard women lie about their rings, but I think men tell some whoppers!!! I''ve had male friends grossly over and underestimate mutual friends'' stones, and what I love even better is when they try to estimate cost...not only is this incredibly tacky, but they''re usually way off.

Ahaha I too notice this far more often than women overestimating. My own husband did it until I heard him once, and then I had to point out (in his ear, very quietly and away from the people he just told) that my ring was barely over a carat, not over TWO!
9.gif
It was pretty funny.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I have a funny story! A lady was asking me about my e-ring and she asked how much the setting was. So I told her -- a few thousand. Then she goes, for the whole ring and the diamond? LOL. I wish! So I said, "No, the diamond was more." And she goes, "How much? A thousand dollars?" I smiled and shook my head. "Two thousand dollars?" Nope... "THREE thousand dollars????" And the incredulous tone/alarm plus volume in her voice kept going up so at 5 thousand, I just nodded and smiled.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 7:32:18 PM
Author: Bliss
I have a funny story! A lady was asking me about my e-ring and she asked how much the setting was. So I told her -- a few thousand. Then she goes, for the whole ring and the diamond? LOL. I wish! So I said, 'No, the diamond was more.' And she goes, 'How much? A thousand dollars?' I smiled and shook my head. 'Two thousand dollars?' Nope... 'THREE thousand dollars????' And the incredulous tone/alarm plus volume in her voice kept going up so at 5 thousand, I just nodded and smiled.
Ugh. I can't stand the rude question askers. WHY do people think they need to know this information???
29.gif
20.gif
38.gif

Oh, and DF, you're right . . . I'm SO not "mind clean"! LOL!
9.gif
11.gif

trishy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/24/2008 7:38:48 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 12/24/2008 7:06:11 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 7:00:21 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 2:12:05 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 2:06:48 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 8:40:38 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
I have never lied about the size of my pet rock.
21.gif

Gee, DF, this thread makes me wonder what MEN lie about the size of???
12.gif
2.gif
well,i don''t. i always say i got cheated at birth.
39.gif
I must say I do not like the smutty tone which has broken in and lowered the tone of this topic. Back to the serious issue of whether women lie about the size/weight of their e-ring!

(
31.gif
)
it is a serious issue. SIZE means a lot to most women
31.gif
of course i''m talking about diamonds.
28.gif
Hmmmh. You have got me there. But I wonder if you have a smaller one but you put a halo around it or sidestones, does that count?
Is size all that matters, or what you do with it?
of course not !!
38.gif
size means nothing if it doesn''t PERFORM. women don''t like the dead looking ones.
omg... this thread has me howling.
9.gif
i have been giggling non-stop. it gets better the more i read.
ya know... come to think, i have been asked by relatives. but i have no stats yet, all i know is its a ritani and is a carat, cuz thats what my husband told me. lol.
if men are lying about size, i just may need to have a talk with him!!!
3.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I''d feel kinda funny saying my e-ring is 2.52 so I say 2 1/2 (which i guess it is).

I have noticed women usually give the total carat weight of the ring. I''m always only interested in the center stone but I just nod, and smile.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who lies about the authenticity of her ring. She has a beautiful white gold & diamond setting, but has a 3.5 ct CZ center stone that she passes off as real. Since her husband actually makes a lot of money, and it''s not unusual to see a ring that size in our area, people believe that it''s authentic. It''s kind of annoying to hear people going on about her "huge diamond" when I know it''s a fake, and she doesn''t say anything to correct the misconception
emotion-16.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anything, I round down! It is 1.63 but I say a carat and a half. However, it was only when I first got the ring and some close family members asked me the size that it came up. I have never had anyone else ask.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
When asked I tell the truth (1.33 carats for just the center stone) but a neighbor did tell me to just say "1 1/2 carats, because who really cares that it''s a 1.33?" lol.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2008 11:11:45 AM
Author: trishy

Date: 12/24/2008 7:38:48 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 7:06:11 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 7:00:21 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 2:12:05 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 2:06:48 PM

Date: 12/24/2008 8:40:38 AM
Author: Irishgrrrl
I have never lied about the size of my pet rock.
21.gif

Gee, DF, this thread makes me wonder what MEN lie about the size of???
12.gif
2.gif
well,i don't. i always say i got cheated at birth.
39.gif
I must say I do not like the smutty tone which has broken in and lowered the tone of this topic. Back to the serious issue of whether women lie about the size/weight of their e-ring!

(
31.gif
)
it is a serious issue. SIZE means a lot to most women
31.gif
of course i'm talking about diamonds.
28.gif
Hmmmh. You have got me there. But I wonder if you have a smaller one but you put a halo around it or sidestones, does that count?
Is size all that matters, or what you do with it?
of course not !!
38.gif
size means nothing if it doesn't PERFORM. women don't like the dead looking ones.
omg... this thread has me howling.
9.gif
i have been giggling non-stop. it gets better the more i read.
ya know... come to think, i have been asked by relatives. but i have no stats yet, all i know is its a ritani and is a carat, cuz thats what my husband told me. lol.
if men are lying about size, i just may need to have a talk with him!!!
3.gif
ROFL!! You guys are too funny!!
9.gif
9.gif

It's funny (as in "strange", not "ha ha") how *most* people have no perception about diamond sizes!! I have a 3.02ct RB and most people say "OMG, that's HUGE, how big is it?!! Is it 2 carats?"!!!
9.gif
9.gif
6.gif
. Ok, granted, it's cut a little deep but it's still 9.23-9.30mm in diametre!!

And then, I have my 3.50ct pear halo'ed ring and most people think it's a 6 carater!!
9.gif
9.gif
3.gif

It's even more funny when you find out that Singapore, after Hong Kong, is *the* land of *HUGE* honkers!!
9.gif
9.gif

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/28/2008 12:33:22 PM
Author: vespergirl
I have a friend who lies about the authenticity of her ring. She has a beautiful white gold & diamond setting, but has a 3.5 ct CZ center stone that she passes off as real. Since her husband actually makes a lot of money, and it''s not unusual to see a ring that size in our area, people believe that it''s authentic. It''s kind of annoying to hear people going on about her ''huge diamond'' when I know it''s a fake, and she doesn''t say anything to correct the misconception
emotion-16.gif

I have come across some ladies who pass off their CZs as the real thing too. the problem is being a super diamond fanatic I could tell that it was a CZ, but I don''t say anything about it since it would sound rude. although it does irk me in the sense that they act all smug about their rings!

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 12:25:43 PM
Author: Alexiszoe

I have a friend who lies about the authenticity of her ring. She has a beautiful white gold & diamond setting, but has a 3.5 ct CZ center stone that she passes off as real. Since her husband actually makes a lot of money, and it''s not unusual to see a ring that size in our area, people believe that it''s authentic. It''s kind of annoying to hear people going on about her ''huge diamond'' when I know it''s a fake, and she doesn''t say anything to correct the misconception
emotion-16.gif

I have come across some ladies who pass off their CZs as the real thing too. the problem is being a super diamond fanatic I could tell that it was a CZ, but I don''t say anything about it since it would sound rude. although it does irk me in the sense that they act all smug about their rings!
I have a cousin that has quite a collection of D/E Colored well cut diamonds, all over 1 carat. I have heard people behind her back comment that they "look fake, plastic" and " I can tell it''s a CZ"... She laughs about it all the time..... maybe some of the ones you SWEAR are fake, actually aren''t!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Alexiszoe- how can you tell? I''d have a hard time telling a rhinestone from a diamond just by looking at it casually.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

emotion-16.gif

Oy. CZ or not, anyone acting smug about a ring (or anything for that matter) is just plain irritating.
I''ve never suspected anyone of trying to pass off a CZ as a diamond, but I imagine it happens more than we realize. Ah, well, we create our own realities anyway, don''t we?

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 1:06:39 PM
Author: Haven

Oy. CZ or not, anyone acting smug about a ring (or anything for that matter) is just plain irritating.
I''ve never suspected anyone of trying to pass off a CZ as a diamond, but I imagine it happens more than we realize. Ah, well, we create our own realities anyway, don''t we?
OK, I must admit guilt. I was VERY smug when I first got my ring. Not because of it''s size, sparkle etc (though I loved that!), but because of the fakies who pretended to be my friend but behind my back said "he''d never date her" then it was "He won''t be serious about her" then it went to "He''ll never marry her!" HA! Who''s laughing now! Those SAME desperados are STILL SINGLE downtalking everyone else''s relationship!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never thought about someone showing their ring and thinking it could be CZ. I always assume it''s natural. But you''re probably right that it does happen more than we realize.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 12:42:32 PM
Author: Sizzle

emotion-16.gif

I have a cousin that has quite a collection of D/E Colored well cut diamonds, all over 1 carat. I have heard people behind her back comment that they ''look fake, plastic'' and '' I can tell it''s a CZ''... She laughs about it all the time..... maybe some of the ones you SWEAR are fake, actually aren''t!
Well, I happen to know it''s fake because my friend told me about it - otherwise I wouldn''t have guessed. I know it because he just proposed with a setting, and was planning to buy her a 1.5 - 2 ct stone, but she thought they looked "too small for her hand"
emdgust.gif
so she wanted something at least 3 ct. She enlisted me to help her find a diamond, but everything in their budget was a lower color & clarity than she wanted. So, he just bought her a CZ that she was only supposed to wear as a placeholder while they looked for a real diamond, but she never told anyone else that it wasn''t real, and now that it''s been 2 years that she''s wearing it, I think that she would feel weird about swapping it for a smaller real diamond. Because since everyone else thinks it''s real, they will be like, "What, you got rid of a huge diamond for a smaller one?" So now they''re kind of stuck with the CZ.

If it were me, I would just change the shape of the diamond, and tell people that I wanted to change diamond shape, and this is the new stone. I have suggested it to her, but I think she''s happy that everyone goes crazy over her huge "diamond", and doesn''t want to swap it for something that would draw less attention. To each their own I guess ...

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 2:14:51 PM

emotion-16.gif

I have a cousin that has quite a collection of D/E Colored well cut diamonds, all over 1 carat. I have heard people behind her back comment that they ''look fake, plastic'' and '' I can tell it''s a CZ''... She laughs about it all the time..... maybe some of the ones you SWEAR are fake, actually aren''t!
Well, I happen to know it''s fake because my friend told me about it - otherwise I wouldn''t have guessed. I know it because he just proposed with a setting, and was planning to buy her a 1.5 - 2 ct stone, but she thought they looked ''too small for her hand''
emdgust.gif
so she wanted something at least 3 ct. She enlisted me to help her find a diamond, but everything in their budget was a lower color & clarity than she wanted. So, he just bought her a CZ that she was only supposed to wear as a placeholder while they looked for a real diamond, but she never told anyone else that it wasn''t real, and now that it''s been 2 years that she''s wearing it, I think that she would feel weird about swapping it for a smaller real diamond. Because since everyone else thinks it''s real, they will be like, ''What, you got rid of a huge diamond for a smaller one?'' So now they''re kind of stuck with the CZ.

If it were me, I would just change the shape of the diamond, and tell people that I wanted to change diamond shape, and this is the new stone. I have suggested it to her, but I think she''s happy that everyone goes crazy over her huge ''diamond'', and doesn''t want to swap it for something that would draw less attention. To each their own I guess ...
Whatever makes her happy! I would rather have the 2 ct DIAMOND now, and save for the 3 ct upgrade!

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sizzle and elle,

i noticed in both cases that the RB they were wearing had massive windowing - i could literally see right through the stone, and the stones looked like flat glass, if that is an accurate description.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure some might. I''ve never actually been asked about mine. I know some lie about clarity and color, though. Usually those with diamonds from mall vendors.

bebe

Ideal_Rock

emotion-16.gif

Well, I happen to know it''s fake because my friend told me about it - otherwise I wouldn''t have guessed. I know it because he just proposed with a setting, and was planning to buy her a 1.5 - 2 ct stone, but she thought they looked ''too small for her hand''
emdgust.gif
so she wanted something at least 3 ct. She enlisted me to help her find a diamond, but everything in their budget was a lower color & clarity than she wanted. So, he just bought her a CZ that she was only supposed to wear as a placeholder while they looked for a real diamond, but she never told anyone else that it wasn''t real, and now that it''s been 2 years that she''s wearing it, I think that she would feel weird about swapping it for a smaller real diamond. Because since everyone else thinks it''s real, they will be like, ''What, you got rid of a huge diamond for a smaller one?'' So now they''re kind of stuck with the CZ.

If it were me, I would just change the shape of the diamond, and tell people that I wanted to change diamond shape, and this is the new stone. I have suggested it to her, but I think she''s happy that everyone goes crazy over her huge ''diamond'', and doesn''t want to swap it for something that would draw less attention. To each their own I guess ...
vesper, how does that "stone" look after 2 yrs?
2.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 5:52:32 PM
Author: bebe

emotion-16.gif

emdgust.gif

vesper, how does that ''stone'' look after 2 yrs?
2.gif
You know, surprisingly good, but I guess it was one of those higher-end CZs that they paid about $350 for the stone. Still, I would rather have put that money towards the real diamond
emotion-40.gif

Thomperchik

Shiny_Rock
I''m not engaged yet, but I do have a rude story to share. My boyfriend purchase the diamond and had the ring custom made (just waiting on the proposal!!). I know the center stone is a .50 G VVS1 princess in a cathedral setting with side stones. I believe the total is .75. Well, one day I was talking to a friend about engagement rings and she mentioned something along the lines of "anything under .75 is not even worth getting." I was so bothered by her comment, considering she has a .70!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
When I''m asked about my ring I tell people its a carat when its actually 1.06. Whenever FI overhears me I hear "Its one point OH SIX carats! Not ONE!!" in a joking tone from him.

People who feel the need to tell people (unsolicited) about the size of their stones just sorta bother me. It does come across as super smug, as Haven mentioned. I''d never share that information without being asked first.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2008 9:35:09 PM
Author: Thomperchik
I''m not engaged yet, but I do have a rude story to share. My boyfriend purchase the diamond and had the ring custom made (just waiting on the proposal!!). I know the center stone is a .50 G VVS1 princess in a cathedral setting with side stones. I believe the total is .75. Well, one day I was talking to a friend about engagement rings and she mentioned something along the lines of ''anything under .75 is not even worth getting.'' I was so bothered by her comment, considering she has a .70!
She''s a B!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results