shape
carat
color
clarity

Do we have any PERFUME LOVERS on PS?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Another scent lover here.

What are some good forums /websites for perfume lovers, btw?

Tx.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
GASP! :-o

MizNina! It's magnificent. I am so so impressed. And what a beautiful dresser/cabinet. Squeeee! I love it. Love it! :love:

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
Me definitely! I've been switching around lately from Frederic Malle's Lipstick Rose, Phaedon Coton Egyptiene, A Lab on Fire's What We Do in Paris is Secret, Parfums DelRae Amoureuse and Cruel Intentions (By Killian). I have a monogamy problem. ;))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Let's see what I can make out in your collection MizNina. The resolution on my phone is not great.

I spy chloe, Chanel coco (and some other chanels) some Serge Lutens bell jars, something from Ormonde Jayne.

Is that Delice de Cartier?

And is that a little bottle of LouLou Blue?

This is fun!

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Hey Rosetta very well spotted here's a few close ups of the bigger houses :))

_4186.jpg

_4187.jpg

_4189.jpg

_4190.jpg

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
Perfume is for me a little like jewellery :)) it is packaged beautifully like so many coloured gems and smells gorgeous to boot :naughty:

_4191.jpg

_4192.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
MN you are my new hero!!!!!!!! I wish I could play in that cabinet!

I used to wear perfume for work but since I work from home and have toddlers my perfume days are few and far between ;(

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.luckyscent.com/samples.asp

I am a fragrance lover, too! I enjoy Luckyscent, as you can buy little samples to try. In my area it is hard to find unique fragrances, so once a year or so I'll purchase a few samples to try.

My favorites that I own full bottles:
L'Artisan Premier Figuier. (My all time favorite. I have a thing for 'fig' perfume and this one is perfect, imo.)
Creed Fleurissimo. (Very flowery. A combo of tuberose, violet and iris, it is very feminine. Created for Grace Kelly's wedding).
Creed Spring Flower. (Sweet fruit and flowers. Peach, melon, apple, jasmine and rose notes).
Diptyque Philosykos. (A milky fig fragrance-- love this and wear it several times a week).
Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille (Very complex; a few of the notes are black vanilla absolute, licorice, coconut milk and bitter almond)
Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao (orange zest, cocoa bean and star fruit, to name a few notes).
Estee Lauder Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent Spray (Very summery; orange blossom, gardenia, caramel, coconut cream and myrrh)
Creed Virgin Island Water (Coconut, mandarin orange, hibiscus, ginger, sugar cane and white rum.)
My latest obsession: Pink Sugar by Aquolina. (On me, I smell cotton candy with a hint of strawberries. Very sweet).

I could go on for hours on the different fragrances that I love and own. I guess it is a little obsession! =)

_4240.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362505646|3396930 said:

I used to wear perfume for work but since I work from home and have toddlers my perfume days are few and far between ;(

Sarah, I used to think "well, I'm staying home today so why bother with perfume?"

Not anymore, I wear beautiful, expensive perfumes at home. Just for ME. :))

It makes me feel just that bit more glamourous when I'm lounging in my dressing gown :cheeky:

You should try it!

MizNina, thanks for the photos. So many greats in there: Jicky, Mitsouko, Vol de Niut, Parfum Sacre. Looks like a lots of vintage lovdlies. I'd like a go at your cabinet too!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
derbygal|1362518624|3397217 said:
http://www.luckyscent.com/samples.asp

I am a fragrance lover, too! I enjoy Luckyscent, as you can buy little samples to try. In my area it is hard to find unique fragrances, so once a year or so I'll purchase a few samples to try.

My favorites that I own full bottles:
L'Artisan Premier Figuier. (My all time favorite. I have a thing for 'fig' perfume and this one is perfect, imo.)
Creed Fleurissimo. (Very flowery. A combo of tuberose, violet and iris, it is very feminine. Created for Grace Kelly's wedding).
Creed Spring Flower. (Sweet fruit and flowers. Peach, melon, apple, jasmine and rose notes).
Diptyque Philosykos. (A milky fig fragrance-- love this and wear it several times a week).
Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille (Very complex; a few of the notes are black vanilla absolute, licorice, coconut milk and bitter almond)
Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao (orange zest, cocoa bean and star fruit, to name a few notes).
Estee Lauder Azuree Soleil Eau Fraiche Skinscent Spray (Very summery; orange blossom, gardenia, caramel, coconut cream and myrrh)
Creed Virgin Island Water (Coconut, mandarin orange, hibiscus, ginger, sugar cane and white rum.)
My latest obsession: Pink Sugar by Aquolina. (On me, I smell cotton candy with a hint of strawberries. Very sweet).

I could go on for hours on the different fragrances that I love and own. I guess it is a little obsession! =)

Beautiful collection derby girl! I too have Un bois vanille. I also have the upmarket version of Pink Sugar, Acqua e Zucherro by Profumum. It's way more expensive but I prefer it to pink sugar and it lasts forever. Have you tried Creed Jardin d'Amalfi? It's my current favourite from this house.

You've inspired me to photograph my own collection. :))

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosetta, I've never smelled the Creed Amalfi you mentioned. We now have a store here in town that carries Creed, so I will running out to give it a sniff. I looked up the description on Creed's site and it sounds like it would be right up my alley. :love: Dare I ask if you have the 8.4 ounce gorgeous flacon? :Up_to_something:

All this talk has got me wanting some new perfume. I forgot to mention a few that I really want full size bottles of-- have only tried samples.

Profumum: Vitrix (very green smelling)
Nobile 1942: Pontevecchio W (Florentine iris-- it is so lovely)
Commes des Garcons: Calamus (I am head over heels for this one. Baby bamboo, celery, angelica, rose berries. SUPER green).
Hierbes de Ibiza: Agua de Colonia Fresca: (Lemony and light, almost reminds me of lemon fruit loops).

Biggest perfume mistake: buying the perfume oil of Pilar and Lucy 'The Exact Friction of Stars' when I had only previously tried the EDP. The perfume oil is so strong and sickly sweet, I simply can't wear it. Not even for a second or I get a huge headache.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Hi ladies! :wavey: I almost never venture out of Colored Stones, but I saw this and I had to post! I'm a ex? perfumista. I was totally active in swapping/decanting/reading the forums on MakeUpAlley's fragrance board, etc. I've eeeasily sampled 500+ perfumes, but I only own a few full bottles because decants kept me with plenty of juice on hand at all times.

Then I had my son 2.5 years ago, and I'm ashamed to say that I totally gave up perfume during that pregnancy (just couldn't handle even semi-strong smells) and then never got back into it afterward. I'm a SAHM so I schlub around the house in yoga pants and a fleece jacket on most days, and showering is about the extent of my daily routine. When I go out, with makeup and nicer clothes, then I'll still wear some perfume, but I tend to stick to my tried and true favorites vs continually branching out like I used to. Aaaand now I'm pregnant again and having to cut back on even that, again.

That said, my very holiest of holy grails are:

Chanel Bois Des Iles - pure parfum - may people always remember me by this one!
Chanel 22 - pure parfum
Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille
Vintage Jean Patou JOY parfum and 1000 edp

I've went through phases of liking Caron Parfum Sacre, Donna Karan Chaos, Givenchy Organza Indecence, F. Malle Iris Poudre, and Chanel no 5 Eau Premiere.

I've had the chance to try most of Serge Lutens line and even some reeeeally rare stuff like Ormonde Jayne's semi-bespoke perfume called 'Seraphim' and some really vintage Guerlain extraits like Vol de Nuit, Mitsouko, and Apres l'Ondee. Ultimately, though, Guerlains just generally don't do it for me and I'm a total Chanel girl at heart. I can't wear their more mainstream scents like Coco, Coco Mlle, or Chance, but I LOVE the less common ones, like 22, Bois Des Iles, and Cuir de Russie. I also like no. 19.

Anyway, reading this thread has made me look forward to being able to enjoy my perfumes again. Bois Des Iles extrait is the only thing I can tolerate dabbing on right now.

---
p.s. I go through phases of obsession, and I wish I'd taken a pic when I was at my height of this one. Sooo many little vials and decants filling up a cupboard. Another one for awhile was loose-leaf teas, specifically ones from Mariage Freres in Paris. Anyone into that? I keep telling my hubby we need to find someone in our neighborhood who appreciates tea so I could dump a ton of teas on their doorstep. I have 2 cupboards full... maybe 50-75+ jars? It's rather ridiculous.

tara3056

Shiny_Rock
Oh and I LOOOOOVE several of Diptyque's soaps - so amazing! They're quite pricey, though, so I usually just get a pack of 3 at Xmas and then hoard them carefully for a few months thereafter. They make your clothes smell amazing if you tuck one into a drawer, even all wrapped up.

I'm also a fan on Roger et Gallet soaps. I first encountered their Jean Marie Farina fragranced soap at the hotel we stayed in during our first visit to Paris. I used it all that week, and now, it's such a strong scent memory for me. Anytime I pull it out, I'm immediately back in Paris again. *sigh* I've also tried reinforcing that link by making sure I used it each subsequent time we've gone back to Paris. It's my favorite city in the world, so I pull that soap out every few months just to enjoy the memories.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
derbygal|1362702558|3399494 said:
Rosetta, I've never smelled the Creed Amalfi you mentioned. We now have a store here in town that carries Creed, so I will running out to give it a sniff. I looked up the description on Creed's site and it sounds like it would be right up my alley. :love: Dare I ask if you have the 8.4 ounce gorgeous flacon? :Up_to_something:

All this talk has got me wanting some new perfume. I forgot to mention a few that I really want full size bottles of-- have only tried samples.

Profumum: Vitrix (very green smelling)
Nobile 1942: Pontevecchio W (Florentine iris-- it is so lovely)
Commes des Garcons: Calamus (I am head over heels for this one. Baby bamboo, celery, angelica, rose berries. SUPER green).
Hierbes de Ibiza: Agua de Colonia Fresca: (Lemony and light, almost reminds me of lemon fruit loops).

Biggest perfume mistake: buying the perfume oil of Pilar and Lucy 'The Exact Friction of Stars' when I had only previously tried the EDP. The perfume oil is so strong and sickly sweet, I simply can't wear it. Not even for a second or I get a huge headache.

Yup, I have the Jardin d'Amalfi flacon, I've decanted the juice into atomisers though. It's a lovely thing.

I need to try the commes des garçons line some time!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
tara3056|1362733755|3399799 said:
Oh and I LOOOOOVE several of Diptyque's soaps - so amazing! They're quite pricey, though, so I usually just get a pack of 3 at Xmas and then hoard them carefully for a few months thereafter. They make your clothes smell amazing if you tuck one into a drawer, even all wrapped up.

I'm also a fan on Roger et Gallet soaps. I first encountered their Jean Marie Farina fragranced soap at the hotel we stayed in during our first visit to Paris. I used it all that week, and now, it's such a strong scent memory for me. Anytime I pull it out, I'm immediately back in Paris again. *sigh* I've also tried reinforcing that link by making sure I used it each subsequent time we've gone back to Paris. It's my favorite city in the world, so I pull that soap out every few months just to enjoy the memories.

Yay, another perfumista coming out of the woodwork! :appl:

Isn't it wonderful how a scent can evoke a memory so very clearly? One sniff, and bam! You're back in paris!

I am a fan of Guerlain SDV too, I have added a bottle of this to my collection. It's sublime, isn't it? Mmmmmm....

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to update that I've been sampling scents and having so much fun. My favorite so far is Carnal Flower. Just gorgeous! I am surprised to find many scents I love in the bottle are way too sweet/cloying/headache-inducing for me to wear.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I've worn Carnal Flower for many years--my fav and "go to" fragrance. I recently bought a new bottle--and either it is me or the perfume has been reformulated as it has NO staying power. At all. Of all the perfume/scents I own, this was the one I could count on (OK other than Youth Dew) to hold it's own. Now I put it on, and within half an hour--nothing. Big $400 disappointment!

For serious fragrance, guess I'll be wearing my DH's Tobacco Vanilla from now on....
For more fun, I do like the new Cartier Baiser Vole, but not Creeds Fleurs de Gardenia.

cheers--Sharon

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
sonomacounty|1362317683|3395039 said:
Another scent lover here.

What are some good forums /websites for perfume lovers, btw?

Tx.

Sorry I missed your post till now.

I read a few great blogs: Perfume Posse, Persolaise, Katie Pukrick all know their stuff. My perfume forum of choice is Basenotes :sun:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1362852344|3400664 said:
HI:

I've worn Carnal Flower for many years--my fav and "go to" fragrance. I recently bought a new bottle--and either it is me or the perfume has been reformulated as it has NO staying power. At all. Of all the perfume/scents I own, this was the one I could count on (OK other than Youth Dew) to hold it's own. Now I put it on, and within half an hour--nothing. Big $400 disappointment!

For serious fragrance, guess I'll be wearing my DH's Tobacco Vanilla from now on....
For more fun, I do like the new Cartier Baiser Vole, but not Creeds Fleurs de Gardenia.

cheers--Sharon

Oh no Sharon, say it ain't so! I've not heard of any Carnal Flower reformulations. I'll ask my perfumista friends if they know any different.

Rosebloom, buy that bottle of carnal flower quick, but test it first to make sure you're happy with the longevity first.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a bit of a different taste in perfume. I don't really like strong scents but prefer floral. I also don't change it up too much and find myself falling for cheaper perfumes. My favourite for the past few years is Marry Me by Lanvin.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My newest perfume is Tokyo Milk Dark's La Vie La Mort No. 90 - I had tried a sample from Sephora and loved how it smelled in the air to begin with, and then found it totally works with my body chemistry from top notes to dry down - I went ahead and bought a bottle hoping it would be the same as the sample, and it is! (And the bottle is a cool matte black design, which I also love)

For me, finding a fragrance that works is almost as difficult as finding the right purse or the right bra - so many are lovely and with features I look for, yet on me just don't work - so having this new perfume is such a pleasure, and perfect for the warmer weather to come.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1362926198|3401208 said:
I have a bit of a different taste in perfume. I don't really like strong scents but prefer floral. I also don't change it up too much and find myself falling for cheaper perfumes. My favourite for the past few years is Marry Me by Lanvin.

My wallet would be very happy if I only liked a few, less expensive perfumes. Unfortunately, I've already spent thousands on the smelly stuff, particularly the niche fragrances get me every time. Le sigh. :errrr:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely collections ladies!!

I am loving some of my dh's newest additions (and some older ones of his as well lol). In fact, he better watch out as I might be wearing them more than he does haha.
Diptyque eau de Tarocco. I am really in love with the softness and the sexiness that is this perfume. I never would have bought it for myself as it is not my typical scent but so glad my dh got it...so delicious!

And I also love his Atien which sadly is no longer in production but my dh has lots of it squirreled away safely in a cool dark environment. Very sexy scent.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Love my perfume, feel naked if I don't put it on - it's a daily ritual!

What I am wearing at the moment - Hermes Kelly Calache

Chanel
All edp

Coromandel/Allure/NO 5/No 5 Eau Premier/Chance/ Chance Eau Fraiche/No 19/Coco/Coco Madamoiselle

Jardins de Bagatelle

Vera Wang

Micheal Kors

Spice Bomb - Victor Rolf - mens (its soooooo good)

Lots more..........

Also, love Tocade - have run out :(sad

Surge Lutens is another favourite

Jo Malone fragrances are yummy too.

Lots more :wavey:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey gals,

I don't wear perfume myself, but I love smelling it on other people. A coworker just stopped by my office and left a whiff of her perfume. It's such a romantic thing, I think.

But I wonder, what if two women who wear perfume work really nearby, or share an office? Will the scents mix somehow? Sorry if this is a really n00b question 8) What about when you're wearing perfume... can you still smell other people's perfume "uninterrupted," so to speak?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1360430185|3376120 said:
I :love: how Hypnotic Poison smelled on me when I bought it in 2000. Then I starting perusing fragrantica, and noticed all these comments about how it smelled like root beer, and complaints about the reformulation. I thought to myself - it can't have changed THAT much if they're still marketing the reformulation as the same product. Well, I wandered into a Sephora, spritzed some on me, and indeed, it smelled like root beer! And very alcohol-y.

I still have a good amount of my 2000 vintage Hypnotic Poison in my parents' house - it's safe in a powder room with no windows/sunlight. :cheeky: It smells like how I wish most vanilla-y perfumes smell - probably the almond enhancement. It's so full bodied and creamy and vanilla-almondy without being saccharine on me. It was my "going out at night" or "college formal" or "I'm baiting a man" scent in college and my 20s. :naughty:

UH YES. I LOVEEEED Hypnotic Poison and then I ran out and it wasn't the same any more. Instead of being slinky and sexy and rawr it was all bubbly and wrong. Not hypnotic at all.

rosetta|1362661463|3398884 said:

Sarah, I used to think "well, I'm staying home today so why bother with perfume?"

It makes me feel just that bit more glamourous when I'm lounging in my dressing gown :cheeky:

You should try it!

My fiance is puzzled by me changing perfume before I go to bed. But I LIKE to drift to sleep in a sensual cloud of Shalimar! Or whatever I decide to sleep in (usually something ridiculously heady and decadent that isn't really appropriate for daily wear). He says there's no one around to smell it, but there's ME. I'm around to smell it! I think he's also puzzled by the concept of having more than one perfume anyway... he just wears his Calvin Klein Intense Euphoria every day and is happy.

My issue is that while I love perfume... I am allergic to quite a few of the ingredients. So, for instance, there are very few things with citrus I can wear. Petitgrain, especially, creates horrible rashes. I can wear Miss Dior, which I know gets bashed by serious perfumistas but I quite like it, though it could be just because it's a citrusy scent I can wear without a rash! And there are some scents I hate, like tonka. Smelling tonka makes me want to vomit. It smells like buttery pee to me. Everyone always tells me it smells kind of like vanilla and I am just like... no. So that means that trying everything several times before I buy a bottle is a MUST, and that I have a slimmer selection to choose from.

I haven't found any Chanel scents I like. They all seem either fleeting or really high-pitched and offputting.

I love rose scents, the ones that smell like fresh real roses, not the stuffy old lady ones. I have been wanting to try some magnolia scents but am not sure what would be good. I also love carnation. I ADORE chamomile but aside from the online places like Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab haven't really found it used. But chamomile is my comfort scent.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
GemFever|1363111618|3402958 said:
Hey gals,

I don't wear perfume myself, but I love smelling it on other people. A coworker just stopped by my office and left a whiff of her perfume. It's such a romantic thing, I think.

But I wonder, what if two women who wear perfume work really nearby, or share an office? Will the scents mix somehow? Sorry if this is a really n00b question 8) What about when you're wearing perfume... can you still smell other people's perfume "uninterrupted," so to speak?

Well, they'll mix a bit if you stand very close and don't move :cheeky:

It's not really a problem though, you'll get the individual sillage as they waft by. If you can only smell your own perfume all the time, youve probably oversprayed!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1363155542|3403681 said:
PintoBean|1360430185|3376120 said:
I :love: how Hypnotic Poison smelled on me when I bought it in 2000. Then I starting perusing fragrantica, and noticed all these comments about how it smelled like root beer, and complaints about the reformulation. I thought to myself - it can't have changed THAT much if they're still marketing the reformulation as the same product. Well, I wandered into a Sephora, spritzed some on me, and indeed, it smelled like root beer! And very alcohol-y.

I still have a good amount of my 2000 vintage Hypnotic Poison in my parents' house - it's safe in a powder room with no windows/sunlight. :cheeky: It smells like how I wish most vanilla-y perfumes smell - probably the almond enhancement. It's so full bodied and creamy and vanilla-almondy without being saccharine on me. It was my "going out at night" or "college formal" or "I'm baiting a man" scent in college and my 20s. :naughty:

UH YES. I LOVEEEED Hypnotic Poison and then I ran out and it wasn't the same any more. Instead of being slinky and sexy and rawr it was all bubbly and wrong. Not hypnotic at all.

rosetta|1362661463|3398884 said:

You should try it!

My fiance is puzzled by me changing perfume before I go to bed. But I LIKE to drift to sleep in a sensual cloud of Shalimar! Or whatever I decide to sleep in (usually something ridiculously heady and decadent that isn't really appropriate for daily wear). He says there's no one around to smell it, but there's ME. I'm around to smell it! I think he's also puzzled by the concept of having more than one perfume anyway... he just wears his Calvin Klein Intense Euphoria every day and is happy.

My issue is that while I love perfume... I am allergic to quite a few of the ingredients. So, for instance, there are very few things with citrus I can wear. Petitgrain, especially, creates horrible rashes. I can wear Miss Dior, which I know gets bashed by serious perfumistas but I quite like it, though it could be just because it's a citrusy scent I can wear without a rash! And there are some scents I hate, like tonka. Smelling tonka makes me want to vomit. It smells like buttery pee to me. Everyone always tells me it smells kind of like vanilla and I am just like... no. So that means that trying everything several times before I buy a bottle is a MUST, and that I have a slimmer selection to choose from.

I haven't found any Chanel scents I like. They all seem either fleeting or really high-pitched and offputting.

I love rose scents, the ones that smell like fresh real roses, not the stuffy old lady ones. I have been wanting to try some magnolia scents but am not sure what would be good. I also love carnation. I ADORE chamomile but aside from the online places like Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab haven't really found it used. But chamomile is my comfort scent.

Hmm, magnolia is hard to capture. You could try L'instant de Guerlain (powdery) or Santa Maria Novella's Magnolia. Also, try Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile, i Profumi di Firenze Magnolia Dolce and Amouage Honour Woman. All have magnolia notes, but not on their own.

I'm looking for a carnation. I tried lorenzo villoresi Garofano, but urgh I didn't like it at all. Any suggestions?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results