shape
carat
color
clarity

Do specs really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I know this probably the wrong board to post this, but I''m stressing myself out.

I''ve looked at rings a couple of times in the past couple of months and honestly, everything I see has been spectacular! I know the basic 4 c''s... and I find out about those, but I''ve never questioned the other specs that people seem to be really concerned about. When I get my ring, it will be through one of two jewelers in NYC that I know. We would tell them the basics of what we would want, but do I really need to tell them the thickness and percentages of the girdle or flourecence?

Can''t I just go to a place and say, that''s a beautiful ring and not worry about any of this?

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Sure you could! But you may be overpaying for your diamond. This is why specs are important. However, you are right to want to choose a diamond based on what you like. You are the one who has to be happy with it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2005 12:37:22 PM
Author:ammayernyc

I've looked at rings a couple of times in the past couple of months and honestly, everything I see has been spectacular
Your are looking for an asscher no ? Then perhaps you can locate a Royal Asscher (just any size, to see what that cut does) and see if the ideal proportions and top optical symmetry make a difference for you . It seems that allot preffer those, but that can't mean no one is just indifferent. Just looking for table & depth as "specs" is not going to help much anyway. The choice is definitely up to you
35.gif

JC

Shiny_Rock
ammayernyc,

While the quality of a diamond is very important, all that really matters is what you like. Just make sure that you are getting a fair deal for the diamond ring that you are going to be purchasing. As long as it''s beautiful to you that''s all that really matters though. Good luck....

1.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/28/2005 12:37:22 PM
Author:ammayernyc

Can't I just go to a place and say, that's a beautiful ring and not worry about any of this?

Sure, if you feel comfortable with the jeweler and don't want to go into a lot of specs. Get what you like, pay what you are able, and be happy. Isn't that the goal in life?

A related story....

I have an old/close friend that I have known since high school. He has never been married. Last summer when I was thinking I was going to propose to my gal - I told him all the stuff I was learning about gems (sapphires and diamonds). I spent about 30 min’s telling him about diamond and sapphire specifications – detailed stuff you read about here on PS - he looked at me like I was nuts.

Then he met a great gal. In January, he told me that he was going to propose and was going to get a diamond ring. I emailed him links to Pricescope and the tutorials, various respected vendors web sites, and gave him some brief advice (cut, pricing) etc..

He ignored all this information. He never even clicked on the links I sent him in the email. Basically his brother told him "he knew a jeweler". Said this jeweler would "get him a deal". My friend basically walked in to this jeweler's store and bought a 1.73ct round F SI-3 diamond for around $6000 - plus another $4000 for a diamond band setting. He did this last week. I asked him - Did the diamond have a cert? "Not sure", What about the cut? -"jeweler says it’s nice, looks nice to me", Good price? "Jeweler showed me Rap Report”.

Basically he is happy and I am sure his gal will be happy (it is a big diamond) and that’s what really matters for them. I am happy for him too.

The last conversation I had with him was to encourage him to have it independently appraised. I gave him the name of a PriceScope listed Appraiser in his area. I think he is going to do this, but I would not be surprised if he doesn't.

So - for many people detailed specs don't matter. They go and pick out something that looks good to them - with a Jeweler they feel good about - and are happy with that.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I am in the middle. I don't disregard #s b/c that tells me if I"m in the ballpark regarding quality and price. However, I've seen stones with great numbers that did nothing for me. So when I purchased my stone, I knew that the numbers looked pretty good, but my eyes were like
6.gif
so I knew it was a great stone!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you''ve done your homework, and understand how all of the c''s work together, then you have a good base to know what it takes to make a beautiful diamond. it will be your eyes that make the final determination, and when you find the one that makes you
6.gif
.....buy it!!
2.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a bit in the middle too. Depending on what type of diamond I''m buying, the look I''m aiming for and the price I want to pay, I''ve bought diamonds based on different criteria.

My first serious diamond purchase was an old cut diamond ring (Old English Cut). I did get some advice about old cuts from some very helpful experts, but in the end I went with my eyes and bought it because I loved the way it looked. I still love it.

My second one was from a local jeweller who got me a very well cut stone (but not ideal) for a very good price. Love that too.

My third was a pair of ideal cut h&a diamond earrings - specs were a very important part of this buying process and I also got a good price (I think). I love them too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results