shape
carat
color
clarity

Do most women think that they look...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith, that is incredibly hard and sad dealing with the terminal illness of a loved one. Life really is unfair and I hope the time you have with her is special and full of happiness for the both of you.

As for that darn taxi driver all I can say is I hope you didn't tip him. :evil:
Who knows what he was going through personally at the time but to behave in such an unprofessional manner is unacceptable but I guess at least he had some sense because he apologized. Still I hope you didn't leave him a good tip except for the tip that he ought to treat his customers better regardless of their age!

DF, thanks very much. Ofc in my head I am still in my twenties LOL and I guess no matter how I age that will never change. I have a lot of interaction with older people and for the most part they all feel the same way. The mirror doesn't always reflect how one feels inside.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Considering that I'm 45 and get carded every time I buy a bottle of wine, let alone all the people that say "Get out!" when I tell them my age....YES!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
I've seen your pic! No way are you 45 - you're about 28!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1386639815|3571029 said:
I've seen your pic! No way are you 45 - you're about 28!

Aw, thanks! ;-) I wish!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dunno how old I look, just know I look good!

I keed. Somewhat.

I've always thought the youth culture was a little creepy, frankly - I'm looking forward to being a snowy haired old woman with an upsweep and a sword-cane! - but I'm just hitting the point where I'm looking in the mirror and thinking, "... face-lift?" Doubt I'll ever DO it, mind, 'cause I'm not a big fan of pain, but ....

... nobody escapes their cultural baggage. Guess I'll settle for making sure mine is Hermes? 8)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what do you see when you look in the mirror, DF?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1386653453|3571169 said:
what do you see when you look in the mirror, DF?
A very old man... ;(

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm 25, but look 30-35. People always think I'm much older than I am, and it's been like this for my whole life. I was 5'4" and 100 pounds in 4th grade, so I didn't look like a 4th grader. I haven't grown taller much (1.5" difference since then, and I've never had a growth spurt), but my face has aged.

In addition to this, just in the last 3 months, my face has aged a year. Graduate school is taking a toll on me, and very quickly. I have never seen my skin and under eyes look so horrible.. and I've developed forehead wrinkles (those horizontal lines) all within the last year.

Le sigh. I wish I looked younger.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1386661731|3571207 said:
I'm 25, but look 30-35. People always think I'm much older than I am, and it's been like this for my whole life. I was 5'4" and 100 pounds in 4th grade, so I didn't look like a 4th grader. I haven't grown taller much (1.5" difference since then, and I've never had a growth spurt), but my face has aged.

In addition to this, just in the last 3 months, my face has aged a year. Graduate school is taking a toll on me, and very quickly. I have never seen my skin and under eyes look so horrible.. and I've developed forehead wrinkles (those horizontal lines) all within the last year.

Madelise, I am sure you look better than you think, especially being only 25! BUT, if your skin really bothers you, if I were you I would invest in some top-quality skincare and commit to using it twice a day.

I've got long experience with good skincare and it does work. OK, not miracles. If one has saggy jowls and a smoker's face with deep wrinkles, nothing but surgery and some serious dermotologist-applied chemical peels plus Botox etc is going to make a difference. Not saying this is you! Just prefacing what I'm about to say with the disclaimer that skincare isn't miraculous and I'm not saying it is.

So, how can it work? The right skincare regime will give your skin a much more even skintone, and this makes you look younger. It will also look more reflective because you'll be using exfoliants - again, skin that is even and reflective makes you look younger. A good moisturiser will also help soften the skin, again making you look more youthful.

Anyway, if you really don't like your skin, it's worth a try. Give it three months of the good stuff, religiously applied, and I bet you'll see a difference. It isn't cheap - a good regimen will probably set you back about $400, but I have used the good stuff and the cheap stuff, and the good stuff is better!

What do I mean about the good stuff? I think that Clarins cleansers, toners, facial oils, and scrubs are the best, and then Estee Lauder, in my experience, is the best for anti-ageing moisturisers, eye creams, and treatment creams (such as chemical exfoliants or anti-ageing serums). Lancome is great for masks and for moisturisers that are not anti-agers, just vitamin creams.

In the last few months I adopted a religious routine because I turned 39, and people now keep saying how well I look! I warn you, it's complex though and you have to be committed! I use cleanser, toner, a chemical exfoliant (Estee Lauder's Idealist Illuminator), a day cream, a night cream, a day eye cream, a night eye serum, and occasional scrubs and masks. For a treat I use one of the Clarins facial oils, which smell like heaven, and twice a week I use Origins chemical brightening pads to try to fade some of my sunspots.

You just sounded a bit down about your skin and I wanted you to know that although there are no miracles, you can bring about a difference to your skin if you invest in some good skincare and you use it regularly, morning and night.

The best place to get advice is the Clarins and Estee Lauder SAs. They are good at telling you when a product is too heavy or not suitable for your skin.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
You know something that has not been mentioned here....the way your body is built and the way you dress can also make you appear younger. For eg, I lack curves...small chest, no butt, and shop for jeans in the juniors department. We dress very casually where I work (think skinny Jeans and hoodies) so most people are suprised that I'm a middle-aged mom of 2 kids. Most don't even think I've had kids.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a theory that people without kids tend to look younger than those with. Or at least in my case. I feel my face has aged so much since I had the twins. The way we've arranged our life (3 kids, 2 full-time jobs and no family around) is certainly stressful. I figure it can't help but show.

Anne

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
anne_h|1386727022|3571659 said:
I have a theory that people without kids tend to look younger than those with. Or at least in my case. I feel my face has aged so much since I had the twins. The way we've arranged our life (3 kids, 2 full-time jobs and no family around) is certainly stressful. I figure it can't help but show.

Anne
Wait till they become teenagers... :bigsmile:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I look younger than my age. I'm pretty sure I look older than my age.

I have only once been asked for ID when purchasing wine (and that was a woman who clearly knew how much it stinks to not be carded so was doing it to be nice). Went in on my 21st b-day for a bottle of red wine to put in my stew for dinner. Wasn't even asked then :nono:

Our social groups are mostly older than me. No one thinks of me as younger. The few times my age has been mentioned in conversation people have been shocked -- one guy said he thought I was at least 35 :sick: Even women have commented in shock "Oh! You're not 30 yet!?!" People have guessed me to be 30+ from the time I was 19 or 20...

Eh.
Don't care.
I'm working at losing some weight and finally have a rosacea treatment that works. That should help a lot.

I actually sort of see it as a good thing in that people always think I am experienced at whatever. So long as I can stay looking 35 for another 10 (or 20!) years, I'll be good! (I'm 28)

ETA: DH looks much younger than his age. So with him looking younger and me looking older, people figure we're something like 5-7 years apart :bigsmile:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1386714863|3571522 said:

Madelise, I am sure you look better than you think, especially being only 25! BUT, if your skin really bothers you, if I were you I would invest in some top-quality skincare and commit to using it twice a day.

I've got long experience with good skincare and it does work. OK, not miracles. If one has saggy jowls and a smoker's face with deep wrinkles, nothing but surgery and some serious dermotologist-applied chemical peels plus Botox etc is going to make a difference. Not saying this is you! Just prefacing what I'm about to say with the disclaimer that skincare isn't miraculous and I'm not saying it is.

So, how can it work? The right skincare regime will give your skin a much more even skintone, and this makes you look younger. It will also look more reflective because you'll be using exfoliants - again, skin that is even and reflective makes you look younger. A good moisturiser will also help soften the skin, again making you look more youthful.

Anyway, if you really don't like your skin, it's worth a try. Give it three months of the good stuff, religiously applied, and I bet you'll see a difference. It isn't cheap - a good regimen will probably set you back about $400, but I have used the good stuff and the cheap stuff, and the good stuff is better!

What do I mean about the good stuff? I think that Clarins cleansers, toners, facial oils, and scrubs are the best, and then Estee Lauder, in my experience, is the best for anti-ageing moisturisers, eye creams, and treatment creams (such as chemical exfoliants or anti-ageing serums). Lancome is great for masks and for moisturisers that are not anti-agers, just vitamin creams.

In the last few months I adopted a religious routine because I turned 39, and people now keep saying how well I look! I warn you, it's complex though and you have to be committed! I use cleanser, toner, a chemical exfoliant (Estee Lauder's Idealist Illuminator), a day cream, a night cream, a day eye cream, a night eye serum, and occasional scrubs and masks. For a treat I use one of the Clarins facial oils, which smell like heaven, and twice a week I use Origins chemical brightening pads to try to fade some of my sunspots.

You just sounded a bit down about your skin and I wanted you to know that although there are no miracles, you can bring about a difference to your skin if you invest in some good skincare and you use it regularly, morning and night.

The best place to get advice is the Clarins and Estee Lauder SAs. They are good at telling you when a product is too heavy or not suitable for your skin.

I was just going to say to Madelise, "get enough sleep, and don't party too hard!" ;))

AN0NYM0US

Shiny_Rock
When time catches up with you it really catches up. I feel that my appearance has aged 10 years in the last 3. ;(

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
AN0NYM0US|1386750619|3571839 said:
When time catches up with you it really catches up. I feel that my appearance has aged 10 years in the last 3. ;(

Oh, yeah, I suspect that to be true. I've got away with it so far but I am just WAITING for that to happen to me!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1386745916|3571823 said:
I don't think I look younger than my age. I'm pretty sure I look older than my age.

I have only once been asked for ID when purchasing wine (and that was a woman who clearly knew how much it stinks to not be carded so was doing it to be nice). Went in on my 21st b-day for a bottle of red wine to put in my stew for dinner. Wasn't even asked then :nono:

Our social groups are mostly older than me. No one thinks of me as younger. The few times my age has been mentioned in conversation people have been shocked -- one guy said he thought I was at least 35 :sick: Even women have commented in shock "Oh! You're not 30 yet!?!" People have guessed me to be 30+ from the time I was 19 or 20...

Eh.
Don't care.
I'm working at losing some weight and finally have a rosacea treatment that works. That should help a lot.

I actually sort of see it as a good thing in that people always think I am experienced at whatever. So long as I can stay looking 35 for another 10 (or 20!) years, I'll be good! (I'm 28)

ETA: DH looks much younger than his age. So with him looking younger and me looking older, people figure we're something like 5-7 years apart :bigsmile:

Heh heh! So far in my life, I look a lot younger than my age and my husband looks older. A while ago, we were at a family party, playing with a four-year-old. He looked at my husband, looked at me, and said, "Is that your dad?" ROFL!!!!!!

And something similar happened at Disneyland. My sister and I were sitting on the ground waiting for the parade to start at night in the Magic Kingdom. I was next to this little girl - again, about four - and she looks at my sister, looks at me, and goes, "Is that your mum?" Haaahahahaha! My sister is three years older than me!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't matter if I look older or younger just as long as I look GOOD! 8) :kiss:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don't. I think I look my age.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
I always figured I looked my age or older. When I was younger everyone always thought I was a lot older to the point where as a kid they would try to kick me off the school-bus and out of playgrounds and then when I was 11-12 everyone thought I was 20...

However after that something odd happened. all of a sudden people started thinking that my younger sister was the older one, and I would get carded all the time. Now at nearly 26 a bit of a funny situation occurred with my work colleges, one of which is 20 and another is 22 (in the UK so 18 is the legal limit). They both ordered without issues, then when the third girl was ordering the bartender asked if the drink was for me, she said no so the bartender then asked if I was going to order something. When I said yes she demanded to see ID, and kept looking up and down at it before apologizing. So I guess I look younger...

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
lol From the responses it does appear that most women think that they look younger than their age. I'm in that camp too, I think I look younger than 40, but that doesn't make it true! ;))

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1386869119|3572926 said:
lol From the responses it does appear that most women think that they look younger than their age. I'm in that camp too, I think I look younger than 40, but that doesn't make it true! ;))

Ha ha, me too! I've had some people say I look younger, like 25, but if you put me next to an actual 25-year-old, they look much, much younger than me! And the giveaway? People of that age never think I'm their age. It's always older people who say I look young.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1386747658|3571833 said:
Smith1942|1386714863|3571522 said:

I was just going to say to Madelise, "get enough sleep, and don't party too hard!" ;))

Haha, thanks. I just started using Retin A Micro. I haven't reached a point where I feel spending my whole monthly "allowance" on skincare products is worth it yet, so those fancy things might wait until post-graduation.

And monarch.. I wish I was partying! If your idea of partying consists of reading a billion scholarly articles and destroying them to prove them wrong is considered partying, why yes, I do need to stop partying too hard and get more sleep :lol:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

No!!! I just had dinner with you and you do not even look your age, let alone older than that! Hon, you don't need wrinkle cream, but you might need *glasses*! :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results