shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I wash the guest room sheets again?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the holidays coming up and guests staying over..Do you unmake the guest bed even though fresh sheets and a clean cotton blanket are under the comforter with a duvet covering? I have two beds that have fresh sheets under the duvets. I was contemplating just washing the duvet cover.
What do you do?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i use a lavender linnen spray as i make our beds
it doesnt smell like old ladies, just smell before you buy
it also helps with sleep

i change the sheets in our quest room ideally every 6 months with the season change if it hasnt been used,
i just air out the top covers on the line in the sun for a day unlesss 'someone' has hairballed on it and i have to wash it in the middle of winter when its hard to dry

washing things when they dont need it wastes water and is bad for the enviroment, i use a polar fleese blanket under the duvet and above the top sheet, polar fleese is now considered really bad for the enviroment, but i also dont want by nice cotton duvet cover to fade or shrink from over washing when its unnesseary , especially as we sue top sheets

i would always have clean sheets on the bed for guests and change them as soon as they left

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the holidays coming up and guests staying over..Do you unmake the guest bed even though fresh sheets and a clean cotton blanket are under the comforter with a duvet covering? I have two beds that have fresh sheets under the duvets. I was contemplating just washing the duvet cover.
What do you do?

i gotta admit i hate having to put the duvet cover back on, its such a major PITA

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
i gotta admit i hate having to put the duvet cover back on, its such a major PITA

I agree! I tried everything shown on You Tube how to make it go on easily..I gave up..I just put it on like a pillowcase.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll offer a little food for thought... I am very sensitive to fragrances, especially synthetic ones. Having to sleep in linens that have been sprayed with any form of treatment would be very uncomfortable.

I find that I cannot sleep on linens that have been washed in many detergents, due to their scents. Sheets that have been on the bed for a while (but are clean) would be preferable to sheets freshly washed in a scented detergent or sprayed with a refresher/scented treatment. (That said, I would happily bring my own linens to avoid creating any extra work or worry for my host.)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, if they were laundered and put in the bed, I probably wouldn’t rewash them. You can smell to see if they still smell fresh or if they smell musty. If musty, definitely rewash but I am guessing they are fine!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll offer a little food for thought... I am very sensitive to fragrances, especially synthetic ones. Having to sleep in linens that have been sprayed with any form of treatment would be very uncomfortable.

I find that I cannot sleep on linens that have been washed in many detergents, due to their scents. Sheets that have been on the bed for a while (but are clean) would be preferable to sheets freshly washed in a scented detergent or sprayed with a refresher/scented treatment. (That said, I would happily bring my own linens to avoid creating any extra work or worry for my host.)

That‘s a good point. I actually washed them in fragrance free detergent because my grandchild has sensitive skin.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We have an inordinate amount of dust in our house. I change sheets/duvet covers on beds that don't get used bc of the dust.

cheers--Sharon

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

We have an inordinate amount of dust in our house. I change sheets/duvet covers on beds that don't get used bc of the dust.

cheers--Sharon

I see the duvet cover getting dust..but the duvet is covering the sheets and blanket.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree! I tried everything shown on You Tube how to make it go on easily..I gave up..I just put it on like a pillowcase.

i had an ex boyfrind who used to stand up and get right insided it to put it on

i use clothes pegs and turn it all inside out (but right way up)
right now, at night in bed we can feel a clothes peg still in there :lol-2:

i need a cup of tea and a lie down just thinking about it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
HI:

cheers--Sharon

thats when id struggle out with the whole thing (duvet in cover) and sling it over the clothes line on a sunny day

definatly now need that cup of tea and lie down

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee -

No, I wouldn't. And I can't think why I would. If they'd been on the bed for a year, for instance, then maybe - but I normally have someone stay in my spare bed every 6-8 weeks or so, and they're not going to magically start to stink with nobody sleeping on them! So - no.

Besides - you need all your time for putting up decorations!! :mrgreen:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I would say yes. But only because, since you’re asking us about it, I’m guessing it will drive you nuts if you don’t. So you may as well!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 to the no-sprays and no-scent detergent.

Also, please, no fabric softener and do not dry with one of those little sheet things that smells so strong. :knockout:
Please, unplug any Air Freshener thingie in the guest room.

No matter how much you like the scent, IMO it's best to offer your guest linens and a room with no fragrances whatsoever.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Also, please, no fabric softener and do not dry with one of those little sheet things that smells so strong. :knockout:

No matter how much you like the scent, IMO it's best to offer your guest linens and a room with no fragrances whatsoever.

X1000

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DD visits me every 2 to 3 months or so and kindly requests that we wash her sheets before her arrival. It’s still her room, so I’ve learned not to wash them after she leaves because I know I’ll have to wash when she comes back.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don’t use any Air Freshener thingies. I do use those dryer sheets for my wash only. I also..brace yourselves. :lol: …use a little Glamorous Diva by Tyler scented detergent mixed with no scent detergent for my sheets and blankets only. It smells like heaven to me..

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I switched to a biodegradable liquidless detergent sheet from Earth Breeze. For most loads I use a half sheet. No plastic in the container and no heavy liquids for shipping. Takes up almost no space on the laundry shelf, so that is one less thing I have to organize around. I get the unscented.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Well, I don't think we've discussed who these guests are, either. I mean, some guests rate extra clean and fresh everything, with chocolates and flowers on the bedside table and an adorable assortment of guest soaps in the bathroom. Other guests rate a blanket on the floor in lieu of a mattress, heat cranked up to 100F (or AC cranked down to 40F) along with instructions to please respect the feelings of your free range pet rats. :lol-2:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don’t use any Air Freshener thingies. I do use those dryer sheets for my wash only. I also..brace yourselves. :lol: …use a little Glamorous Diva by Tyler scented detergent mixed with no scent detergent for my sheets and blankets only. It smells like heaven to me..
It could cause me to have an asthma attack.
hence the x1000

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could cause me to have an asthma attack.
hence the x1000

@Karl_K If you and your wifey came to stay at my home I would wash everything in scent free detergent…I realize a lot of people have problems with scents. My friend is Missouri also had a really bad sensitivity to scents of any kind. I made sure my clothes were washed with a scent free detergent. I even used Dr. Bronner’s bar soap when I knew we were going to be driving together in the car. She told all her friends so we knew what to do. I can’t even imagine what that would be like to have a sensitivity that would cause you to have an asthma attack.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My late mother actually did the lavender powder thing once on her guest beds. Im sure she imagined it would be a pleasant treat for me. Unfortunately, she either didn’t know, or had forgotten, that I had developed sensitivity to some fragrances as an adult. (I moved to the Sacramento Valley after college. It’s notorious for triggering allergies.) I had to change the sheets before I could sleep! So, as someone who is sensitive to some fragrances, many dittos to what Kenny said. When the weather turns cold I struggle with post nasal drip in the cold weather that can make it difficult to fall asleep as it is - my apologies to anyone who might consider that TMI. Adding a potential irritant in the form of a fragrance could make for a very uncomfortable night.

I also use the Earth Breeze sheets Karl mentioned. Great from an environmental perspective, and a year’s supply only takes up as much space as one large bottle of detergent!

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I don't actually have a guest room, but my mother puts a spare flat sheet over the entire re-made bed so that everything is protected from dust/her cat, then when I arrive I just take the sheet off and everything has been fine even if it had been made months before.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never scent my sheets...except when my best girlfriend comes to visit. Then I spray Chanel 5 in between the sheets. She's a big fan and she loves it. :))

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @Wink and @MamaBee and others. Don’t wash clean sheets!!!

As someone who hates creating unnecessary work - if you think that the sheets are a bit musty (and they probably aren’t) - why not just peel back the duvet, open the window in the bedroom for a few hours of fresh air.

I think that would freshen up the sheets nicely.

(When I was in grade school, on of my teachers told us kids to hang our school uniforms on the close line every evening. I guess a lot of the parents were smokers in those days. Mine weren’t, so I never understood the teacher’s suggestion, but did it dutifully anyways. It works!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results