shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I need another appraisal? ...Reputable B&M

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lillguy

Rough_Rock
I recently purchase an e-ring from a "B&M" store that, I guess you would call it a boutique store . While it''s no Tiffany or Harry Winston, I turned to PS and it seems like it''s a reputable store, along with the fact it has stores in good locations in Soho & San Francisco. Being an avid PS reader, you can see I am well educated on shady jewlers...!

The ring is set to be completed within the next couple weeks, and I''m planning on picking it up. With it will be the standard apprasial. My question is, do I get another one right after I pick it up to make sure it''s the exact diamond I''m thinking I''m buying? I''m new to this and I want to protect myself to the max. What is the proper way to ask them this without offending them?

Thanks for any thoughts!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s a reputable dealer, as you say they are, then asking them won''t offend them!! When I picked up my ring from a B&M, I had a copy of the GIA cert. They gave me the original and I compared it...then I asked them to show me the inclusions as listed on the cert to show that I was getting the same stone. They had no problem performing this task for me to ensure my sense of security and uphold their reputation!!

If you want a second appraisal or want them to "prove" it''s your stone, then ask!! If they get offended, then it shows the integrity of their establishment!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It depends entirely on what you want to know. It’s very likely that your insurance company will be happy to accept the documentation supplied by the seller and these reports are usually supplied for little or no cost. If this is your objective then no, you don’t need an outside appraisal.

As you mention in your question, many people are concerned that there may be important information that was not included in your sales presentation and the seller supplied documentation. In addition to your concern about the stone being as represented, there may be questions about the quality of craftsmanship, damage to the one or more of the stones involved, quality of other materials used and similar issues that you may prefer to have answered by an uninvolved party. You should also read over the documentation and decide if there is sufficient detail included in the description that your insurance company will have enough information to make a replacement based entirely on the contents of the report should you ever need to file a claim. If the report omits details that you consider important then you should seek out a more professional examination.

In either case, your dealer has no reason to be offended. It protects their position as much as it does yours and if the appraiser confirms everything that you’ve been told then it enhances their reputation.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

lillguy

Rough_Rock
Thank you,

I work in the city that I purchased it and live in another state...so it would benefit me to pick it up personally rather than them FeExing it. It looks like I''ll personally pick it up!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results