shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I complain to the HOA about smoking neighbor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s starting to get hot/muggy out and now that I''ve been keeping my windows open, I keep smelling ciggeratte smoke. The people who are smoking outside are selling their condo, which explains why they''re doing it outside, but the smoke keeps coming into my window and it''s stinky and second-hand that my kids too are inhaling
14.gif

Would complaining even do anything to solve this? Should I send the HOA an email?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The people downstairs from us do this as well. It drives me insane. We don''t have A/C so we need the windows open in the summer.

Definately check the HOA!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We do have a/c, but we''re on a budget and A/C isn''t included. Poor DH. He wants to turn it on, but I said NO.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''d let them know that it is bothering you. There''s really nothing the HOA can do (to my knowledge) as it is perfectly within their rights to smoke outside. I don''t know about your state, but, here in CA it is banned inside public places, on some beaches, and other protected areas. I''m sure your neighbors will be reasonable when you tell them their habit is stinkin'' up your house...In a nice way, of course.
28.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2008 9:06:37 PM
Author: Miranda
I''d let them know that it is bothering you. There''s really nothing the HOA can do (to my knowledge) as it is perfectly within their rights to smoke outside. I don''t know about your state, but, here in CA it is banned inside public places, on some beaches, and other protected areas. I''m sure your neighbors will be reasonable when you tell them their habit is stinkin'' up your house...In a nice way, of course.
28.gif

I was thinking the same thing. I''m not sure that the HOA could/would do anything, as your neighbors do have the right to smoke if they wish. Talking to them may help, but I don''t think you''d get anywhere by going to the HOA.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, I would think it''s their right to smoke outside if they wish too. My apartment smells like smoke every morning from my neighbor smoking...I think it actually seeps through the walls (they are smoking in their apartment). Thank goodness you can''t smell it in my baby''s room.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I would complain, after multiple complaints, we got smoking on our property banned by the HOA.

Also, check you current policy and see what the rules on smoking are.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/21/2008 9:06:37 PM
Author: Miranda
28.gif
In Alaska, people can''t smoke within 20 or so feet from a public entrance. I would just kindly ask them not to smoke near your window. I have found that most people are accomodating if approached in a warm and positive manner.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like many here share the same problem. Whatever you do keep that in mind they won''t quit smoking and won''t move out.If you are not planning to move out (even if you do you it could happen again)
Having said that not much can one do.You can mention it to them,( as I did) , but it won''t improve much unless you convince them to quit smoking.(I tried that also)So now I just (unhappily) accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results