shape
carat
color
clarity

Do friends ever asked you...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how much did you paid for your jewelry? do you tell them the truth?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When friends ask, I tell them what I paid. When frienemies ask, I say "A dollar more than you've got."

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I had a friend ask about the cost of my previous ring, the 3.62. I was honest with her, then she proceeded to blab it to everyone we encountered. Lesson learned. Now most of the time I will just respond with a joke or some other remark that will help me avoid disclosing what I paid. Really, it is no one's business. I would never ask someone the cost of their jewelry.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No, my friends don't ask because that would be rude...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1392586618|3616479 said:
When friends ask, I tell them what I paid. When frienemies ask, I say "A dollar more than you've got."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the friend and the situation. Some have asked and I have told them others have asked and I've said I'm not sure. :rolleyes:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My RL friends aren't especially interested in gems so haven't asked. If they did, I wouldn't tell them -- it would shock most of them, who consider a $50 necklace a big splurge. :(sad But then, they take cruises or have 2nd houses & we don't, though they wouldn't consider that as they gasped.

--- Laurie

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1392586618|3616479 said:
:lol:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1392589748|3616519 said:
My RL friends aren't especially interested in gems so haven't asked. If they did, I wouldn't tell them -- it would shock most of them, who consider a $50 necklace a big splurge. :(sad But then, they take cruises or have 2nd houses & we don't, though they wouldn't consider that as they gasped.

--- Laurie

Yep, happens to me too.

I don't really get asked; if ever, I'll say something like, "a lot" or "not very much" depending on the spectrum but that's about as much as I'll say.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Some friends ask in a tone that implies they are thinking of getting something similar for themselves.. 'oh, how much would something like that cost me?' I don't fall for that.
Madam Bijoux - your retort is very sharp - in a good way. I like it.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock

--- Laurie
Exactly. Some of my friends who have garages full of work-out equipment, jet skis and other expensive stuff that they love would have a myocardial infarction if I told them what I've spent on bling!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Only one, and he pushed for an answer a couple of times, despite my evasive refusal. I told him it didn't matter in the end and I didn't want to set a benchmark for our friends to follow. A lot of our mutual friends were close to being engaged at the time. I said they should spend whatever they felt comfortable with and not a penny more.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Nope no one is RL has ever asked.

Though I have been asked by PSer's and in return have asked other PSer's what they paid for their ring/ diamond/ setting. FOr some reason it is much more acceptable to talk pricing...though offline such as via email or on facebook to me, then in RL.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Friends don't ask, only my mum and nosey acquaintances do.

Definitely do not tell my mum the truth about how much I spent on jewellery, and I don't give out exact numbers to acquaintances.

DK :))

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1392644951|3616907 said:
Friends don't ask, only my mum and nosey acquaintances do.

Definitely do not tell my mum the truth about how much I spent on jewellery, and I don't give out exact numbers to acquaintances.

DK :))

My mom has tried to too, and I now avoid disclosure at all cost! She doesn't ask because she's truly interested but rather to make me feel guilty for having not used those funds in a way she finds more appropriate. Jewelry doesn't interest her at all and she can't seem to understand the time and money I invest in it.

My friends don't ask but I have a family member that goes out of her way to try and find out, but that extends to all areas of our lives and not just my jewelry. :rolleyes:

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Never had any close friends ask about cost, but they have asked how large my engagement ring is. I usually ball park it. I have had acquaintances ask about cost, however. They just want to know for the sake of competition or comparison and I never give them that ammo. There was one crazy girl (no longer a friend, really) who was so appalled that I wouldn't give her details on my engagement ring that she grabbed my hand and attempted to scratch it on glass to determine whether or not it is fake. This was after she exposed how much her boyfriend makes and how much she is expecting him to spend on a ring. :-o :-o

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been asked the size, but never about the price.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been asked. Maybe because my ering stone was a famly stone from DH's side, my earrings were a graduation gift, and the rest of my diamond pieces (two pendants and a ring) were passed down from my mom and grandmothers.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Yes, a couple of nosey people have asked about the price....I tell them it's the price of a small car.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
klewis|1392620609|3616816 said:

--- Laurie
Exactly. Some of my friends who have garages full of work-out equipment, jet skis and other expensive stuff that they love would have a myocardial infarction if I told them what I've spent on bling!

Same here. A friend is into purses so she was discussing with me whether she should buy a small Chanel bag for $4,600. So I gasped and said that I can buy a decent size diamond for that much, i.e. not a melee size stone. And then we both started laughing because she'd never spend that much on jewelry and I would never spend that much on a bag. People vary :bigsmile:.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, no one have ever asked, but the other day at work I was wearing my anniversary ring and a fellow nurse who always wears this giant stone (at least 3 carats, which is giant to me), mentioned that my ring was pretty and then went on to tell me that her wedding set wasn't real and she and her second husband just never had the extra money to purchase a real set.

Maybe she was hoping to shock me into revealing that mine was "fake" as well?

I didn't know what to say so I just smiled and kept drinking my coffee.

On another note, I never would have guessed in a million years that her set was not real. It's never been that sparkly, but I just assumed she didn't clean it as often as me. She's always likes the finer things and I always considered her a fellow Fancy.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When asked how many carats a gem is I say "enough to choke a horse!" :devil: When someone is rude enough to ask how much I paid I say in a flat tone, "as much as I weigh." :twisted:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I have never been asked until just recently. A friend is looking to upgrade. She has a beautifully cut under.50 ct supposedly D fl . Purchased in like 1978
She wants a bigger stone.
I've told her about this site, and even did searches, so she can see comps on her stone as well as larger stones, because after all what's an upgrade if you don't go bigger???
She was shocked at the price of 1ct stones and could not believe the price of a 2ct!!! She asked is that what you paid for your diamond??? I said there abouts and she seemed shocked. Said she would have to work a few years longer.
Made me feel like a wasteful spender!! And you all know mine is in the under 5,000 thread! Lol

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most people don't ask, but for the ones who shake their heads and somewhat loftily say they could never spend that much money on something like jewelry (and my jewelry looks like it cost some reasonably serious money because it did), I just shrug and say, "We all spend our disposable on something: you chose to spend it for 20+ years on children. Since I didn't have kids, I decided to buy myself a few pieces of jewelry. And guess what?? I only have to pay for jewelry once."

Shuts 'em right up.

Roxy

Brilliant_Rock
iluvshinythings|1392658796|3617037 said:

Yeah, same for me

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I've been asked "what" it is and where it's from (meaning my AVC / P), but never about cost.
I think some of my friends expected I had repurposed a family stone...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jaysonsmom|1392666641|3617139 said:
Yes, a couple of nosey people have asked about the price....I tell them it's the price of a small car.

:lol: :lol: GOOD ONE!!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have (sadly) no ring to gawk over yet. We live close to the DC area though, and big bling is not so out of the norm that it would be conversation worthy. I could see it happening more in the small town I'm originally from like "Oh my GOSH, how much did that COST?"

If a close friend asked I woukd tell them because I know the intent is not bad. We're a TMI kind of group. If someone I didn't know well were to ask I would probably say "Oh sorry but I'm not sure! It was a gift."

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Roxy|1392679694|3617306 said:
iluvshinythings|1392658796|3617037 said:

Yeah, same for me

+1 more.... for people I know or meet. It's only P/S members that ever ask about the price :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm another who's only been asked about carat weight, and you know, it's usually been by men in their late twenties/early thirties who were starting their own ring search and wanted to know what xyz carat weight looked like in real life. One guy, who is a former co-worker but still a close friend, never came out and asked me how much my stone cost, but he did approach me a few times with questions about a few stones from Blue Nile he was considering. I was so glad he did, and I thought it was so nice that he was both thoughtful and tactful in his approach so as not to cause any awkwardness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results