shape
carat
color
clarity

Do diamonds sparkle even when no sun is out?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chris143007

Shiny_Rock
What does your rock do?

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Theoretically, a diamond is like a mirror. For it to sparkle (reflect light), it needs to be under some sort of light source. The more the light the better the light return. A well cut diamond will sparkle even in a dark environment with little light source.

To answer your question, when the sun is out (say in the evening or at night under electric light), a diamond will sparkle if it is well cut. A poorly cut diamond will not show as not show as much sparkle as a well-cut diamond even under the sunlight

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
In direct sunlight (nearly parallel rays) the stone will look different than in diffused light (showroom conditions). It is the nature of the beast (and its light return characteristics).

I'm going to guess that some diamonds may seem to sparkle better when it is bright outside but the sun goes behind a cloud rather than in direct sunlight. Try it and let us know!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
bright sun - mostly white light return.
Shaded but direct bright light - mostly colored light return - ie fire.
indirect bright light and dimmer direct light - mix of white and colored.
indirect dim light - kewl patterns on an h&a diamond or an asscher are visible.

The white light return is the brightest it hides the colored light return.
ie: brightness hides fire.
Cut the lighting to reduce the brightness and the fire is unmasked when the light drops off enough that the fire is dim the pattern shows.

Brightness masks fire
Brightness and fire mask patterns.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To help clarify RA''s comment. Here are 2 shots of the same diamond. One is in white hemisphere lighting and the other in direct (not strong) lighting. Strikingly different appearances depending upon the light conditions. The white hemisphere lighting is more similar to "cloudy day" light conditions. Hope this helps.

diffappearances.jpg

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Rhino

Which is which?
21.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1st diamond pictured: One is in white hemisphere lighting

2nd diamond pictured: The other in direct (not strong) lighting

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
btw... the lighting conditions in the first pic will produce NO fire.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for clarifying Josh. :)

chantheman

Rough_Rock
But Rhino......What are the chances of me being able to get my AGS000 H&A to look like picture number one?

Since my Fiance' got the stone in July, I have been killing myself trying to get the Arrows to boldly show. All I seem to get, regardless of light conditions is arrow masking brilliance and fire.

Are the Arrows technically not supposed to be obvious?

How can I light my environment to make them show?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually prefer my diamond out of sunlight...it looks better in cloudy and/or indirect lighting situations...shows up the arrows and sparkles like cut glass...very beautiful. In direct sunlight it''s like chaos sparkles, my eye can''t focus on anything happening in the diamond. Still sparkly but not in my favorite way.

One of my absolute favorite ways to view my diamond is in the car when I am driving, at a stoplight or something if I look down and my hand is on my leg or similar (out of sunlight but car is still bright), it looks the best. Everything seems very clear & crisp, and I can catch glimpses of the arrows.

chris143007

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys, thanks for responding...I''m just curious, because as some of you know, I purchased a radiant diamond for my gf and am in the process of deciding which setting to place it in. But, for the last several weeks, I take the diamond out to look at it and when I take it outdoors and the sun is out, I move it around in the envelope thingy it came in and it just sparkles like mad...(pic should be attached)...then when I bring it inside, it''s more of a white sparkly look, but obviously it''s not as ''fiery'' as when outside. I like that it sparkles like that outside, since I assume most of her activity will be outside and she''ll appreciate that look....

pic 0161.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are viewing it behind plastic it will look a lot different even if the plastic is thin.
This is much more apparent in dimmer light than bright sunlight.

You are actually seeing the effects of 2 different RI change junctions.
Once going in and once out.
Direct bright light will overpower this somewhat but in less bright light it makes a dramatic difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results