shape
carat
color
clarity

Do any non-jewelry people in your life ever say weird things when describing it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 9:02:39 AM
Author: Miscka

Date: 3/10/2008 12:58:30 AM
Author: ephemery1
DH''s cousin has an oval center stone in her e-ring, like I do. She has a tendency to ''compare'' with other people (income, house size, etc)... and for a while whenever I saw her, she would comment disdainfully on how obsessively I must ''clean'' my diamond to make it so white and sparkly, and how she should really start cleaning hers more often so that it can look like that again. Her ring is a beautiful symbol of her wonderful 10-year marriage, but the stone is not the best cut and probably K-ish in color, which cleaning is not going to change... but obviously I''ve always just nodded along. She''s not a jewelry person, and I figured it was okay if she didn''t know any better. Meanwhile, every time somebody would comment on my ring, she''d jump in with, ''Yeah, she cleans it almost every single day, isn''t that so funny??''

Well, we happened to be at a wedding last summer and when she saw I was running my ring through the ultrasonic, asked if I could do hers too. When I gave it back (minus the dirt and smudges, but definitely still the same stone), she was visibly confused. Since then, she has yet to mention another word about how very ''clean'' my diamond is.
2.gif
You sound so sweet and patient. I totally would have snapped at her at some point. Pretty funny the way it ended up, guess it all worked out!
Haha, I am definitely NOT the most sweet and patient person... it takes some effort for me to keep my mouth shut when I''m annoyed!
31.gif
I think I''ve just resigned myself to "picking my battles" with her, but it did work out quite nicely in the end.
2.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
The first time we went ring shopping, DH had to leave after 20 minutes. I seriously thought that the experience was overwhelming to him, so when I went outside I said "Hon, is this too much for you?"

At that point I saw that he was getting some Advil out of the glove box in our car--he turned to me and said "I don''t understand how you can look at all of those diamonds, I have a massive headache." Then in a completely serious tone he asked "do you think staring at them could cause permanent eye damage? Do we need protective eyewear under those lights? I am not about to buy you a very expensive health hazard, am I?"

For the rest of the day he constantly checked his eye sight to make sure there was no damage.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2008 11:31:26 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
The first time we went ring shopping, DH had to leave after 20 minutes. I seriously thought that the experience was overwhelming to him, so when I went outside I said ''Hon, is this too much for you?''

At that point I saw that he was getting some Advil out of the glove box in our car--he turned to me and said ''I don''t understand how you can look at all of those diamonds, I have a massive headache.'' Then in a completely serious tone he asked ''do you think staring at them could cause permanent eye damage? Do we need protective eyewear under those lights? I am not about to buy you a very expensive health hazard, am I?''

For the rest of the day he constantly checked his eye sight to make sure there was no damage.
LOL Permanent eye damage?! That is HILARIOUS!!!! Thanks for sharing your story, my dear! Hahahah....
9.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hubby flung a new one at me last night when I was showing him settings
27.gif

"WHOA RENAISSANCE FAIR!"

(this setting was classic and delicate, mind you--he just can't deal with pave, milgrain, engraving etc.!) Too bad for him!
3.gif

eta: ephemery, I love your quote. I'm an avid reader of Edith Wharton.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results