shape
carat
color
clarity

Disposing of fireplace ashes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to be having someone in to empty the ashes from the "flue" under my fireplace. (I don''t know what you call it..the hole where I''ve been scraping ashes for the last 10 years.
6.gif
)

Does anyone know where/how I dispose of it? Is it recyclable?

Thanks!
widget

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2006 11:13:30 AM
Author:widget
I''m going to be having someone in to empty the ashes from the ''flue'' under my fireplace. (I don''t know what you call it..the hole where I''ve been scraping ashes for the last 10 years.
6.gif
)

Does anyone know where/how I dispose of it? Is it recyclable?

Thanks!
widget

Do you mean black soot Widget? If you do then the cleaner should take it away with their hoover. If you mean the ash that is residue from coal or logs, you can use it on the garden, it makes good fertilizer, or if the ashes are cool you can bag them up and put in the rubbish, thats what we do in England! Ask the technician if they can dispose of it for you, if it is soot from the chimney they should anyway. I have mine done yearly and he takes all the mess and leaves none!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just be careful there aren''t any live embers! An acquaintance recently had their summer cottage burn down to the foundation because they left a plastic trash can of ashes in the basement. Apparently it smoldered for a long time and then set the house on fire.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ash will change the ph balance in your garden soil. you may want to check into it a bit more..... spreading it and working it deep into the soil can help. but it all depends on how much ash you actually have. see:

http://www.paghat.com/fireplaceashes.html

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results