shape
carat
color
clarity

Discount When Buying From Local Jeweler???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chadrock

Rough_Rock
What kind of discount is common when buying from a local jeweler?

I recently purchased a radiant diamond from Whiteflash for my now fiancé and had a local jeweler set it in a temporary setting (simple white gold setting that cost $185). I decided to do this so my fiancé could be involved in the final product and have something she loved. We went back to the local jeweler to pick out a permanent setting and an eternity band. We were shown a Michael B that my fiancé really liked and it worked well with the eternity band she wanted. I wish that I had a picture of the Michael B setting however I don't and can't find it online. It is a simple platinum setting without pave diamonds or anything. The jeweler had a price tag on it of $2,150. The eternity band is similar to the one attached however the diamonds go all the way around the band. The one she wants had a price tag of around $7,000.

We are also looking at a platinum Scott Kay wedding band (without diamonds) for me which has a price tag of $2,350.

One of the reasons that I purchased the diamond from an online vendor was the discounts they give and they seem to be more reasonably priced than local jewelers. The problem with the rings we are looking at is there aren't a bunch, if any, online vendors that carry them.

What kind of discount is reasonable or how much room do I have to negotiate?

28F18.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chadrock,

Each jeweler will set their own policies about pricing offering discounts. They're usually anxious to discuss the matter with you. The jeweler who sold you the diamond may also be able to help you find a ring like the one you describe, either by custom design and manufacture or through their own relationship with the designer. They too should be anxious to discuss the matter.

It's difficult to give a straight answer about discounts because it depends so much on what they are discounting FROM.

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
You have to compare prices from a subjective standpoint, and comparing apples to apples which is hard unless its made by a well known designer who DOES have "list" prices.

You might want to contact Whiteflash, as they sell a lot of high quality rings from various designers as well as custom make them.

But don''t be led by the nose, with percentage off discounts... As Neil said... it depends on what they are discounting from..
many ask high prices knowing they will have wiggle room...

Is this "honest"... Differing opinions here... Personally I''d pick someone who offers competitive prices without discounting.. that takes a little effort on your part... but in the end its worth it.

Regards.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results