shape
carat
color
clarity

Dimensions/Size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rjt130

Rough_Rock
Just curious, all things equal, do round diamonds and pear shape diamonds have larger dimensions than a princess cut diamond (becuase of the princess depth?)?

I just bought a nice princess cut diamond that I''m happy with, but I''m looking at the dimensions on some of the other shapes and in general a 1 carat in almost every other shape has larger dimenions than a princess 1 carat.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Per carat, rounds have a larger diameter than the princess. But a princess with the same diameter as a round will look bigger b/c of its pointed corners. The pear tricks the eye and the enongated shape makes it look larger than it is.

The bottom line is, the princess is deeper than a round and a pear so it's not going to face up as large as the round or pear. Then again, the princess is cheaper than the round of the same carat weight!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually the edge to edge brilliance factor can make a 6mm round look bigger than a 6mm square princess.
The best way to tell that effect is to look at the light return at the edges with an ideal-scope.

But area is a better measure for what you are attempting - 6mm round = 28.3mmsquared 6mm square = 36sqmm''s

1/2diamx 1/2 diam x 3.142 = round area
l x w = square area

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
you''re the expert Gary! ... But once you slap those v-caps on, the princess looks pretty big to me!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
there is a resaon that 80 to 90% of all diamonds sold are rounds --generally they look bigger than any fancy of comparable weight and cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results