shape
carat
color
clarity

Different looks of pave...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Your''s looks more like micropave...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well there are several variations of pave. There''s pave, micro pave, fishtail pave, etc., so not all pave rings are alike. For example, mine is a prong set and then there are bead set.

steph20.jpg

bams0103

Rough_Rock
Ohhh.....I was under the impression that pave didn''t have prongs. What''s the difference then between pave and micropave? The size?

Why do I feel like I should know this??
emsmileo.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could be wrong about the prong part. That''s what the jeweler told me though and the halo definitely looks prongish.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
slammie's ring is fishtail pave, it's got the tiny v cut outs on the size. Michael b also makes his pave rings in this style..

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 5:11:28 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I could be wrong about the prong part. That''s what the jeweler told me though and the halo definitely looks prongish.
I think you mean prong set vs. bezel set.

bams0103

Rough_Rock
Would any of you ladies out there be willing to show me your pave with a little explanation? I know how much we hhhaaaate to show of our rings! I''m actually looking for wedding bands and I''d like to see the different types of pave. Not sure that anything but a "matchy" band will look OK with my e-ring, but I''d like to see ''em anyway!

Thanks!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I also admit to be confused about the different looks. I understand that there is different ways of setting the diamonds and even different sizes of pave used but I dont know what they all look like in the end result. eg some halos look like suspended diamonds circling the centre stone, and other halos look like diamond glitter on a gold base!!! I would love to learn more!!!

bams0103

Rough_Rock
You said that so much better than I did!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Here is an article on micropave by Leon Mege... it might be helpful to you.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, it''s definitely not bezel set, that''s what I like about it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is what real pave looks like:

realpavebnpic.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
most of the pave rings we see are micropave as described in Leon''s article.
here''s another example of fishtale or stepdown pave. lynn b''s ring is also set this way..

mbstepdownpave.png

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
3 sided pave:

3%20row%20closeup.jpg

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 6:55:34 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
No, it''s definitely not bezel set, that''s what I like about it.
Yes, I know but you originally said that yours was prong set and then there is beaded set. I thought you meant bezel, not beaded. I''ve never heard of a center stone being beaded set...can someone post a pic?

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
MW, i think they are referring to the actual pave set diamonds on the shank/band/halo, not the center stone, (i think?)

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Mimzy, I was referring to the stones in the halo, not the center stone.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2007 8:24:44 PM
Author: mimzy
MW, i think they are referring to the actual pave set diamonds on the shank/band/halo, not the center stone, (i think?)

Aahh, gotcha. I thought she was describing two different styles of setting the center stone to the other person. Bams appeared to be confused on the same point (i.e. pave doesn't have prongs).

bams0103

Rough_Rock
I was referring to the pave on the shank, not the center stone. Sorry if I confused anyone. OK, now that I''ve read that article (thanks Mrs Salvo!), I know that mine is considered micropave - rounded shank with bead set melee - the traditional definition. I''m still a little confused though. Why is fishtail pave considered "pave"? Is it because of the size of the melee? And fishtail pave is prong set right? Also, it appears that a lot of the melee on here are channel set. Or maybe it''s just because the surface isn''t rounded like mine. Am I on the right track?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 9:21:40 AM
Author: bams0103
I was referring to the pave on the shank, not the center stone. Sorry if I confused anyone. OK, now that I''ve read that article (thanks Mrs Salvo!), I know that mine is considered micropave - rounded shank with bead set melee - the traditional definition. I''m still a little confused though. Why is fishtail pave considered ''pave''? Is it because of the size of the melee? And fishtail pave is prong set right? Also, it appears that a lot of the melee on here are channel set. Or maybe it''s just because the surface isn''t rounded like mine. Am I on the right track?

you''re on the right track. some pave rings have a border that make them look more channel set, the ritani''s are a great example of this. fishtail pave is still pave, the fistail part is the little cuts on the band of the ring, it''s the design aspect but there are still tiny beads holding the stones in, like a beadset ring has.

bams0103

Rough_Rock
OK....that makes more sense. Thanks!

Another question....when you want to reply to a specific comment, like you did here MrsSalvo, how do you do it?

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Hey Bams!! in order to reply to a specific comment, make sure you click ''reply'' on that persons posting, then once you have your own reply windon open, click on ''Quote'' and it will make the other person''s comments appear.

You can highlight their comments if you want to draw attention to something by using the tools in the toolbar (above). Good luck!

To answer your question...

My Ering is bead set (with milgrain edges) and my wedding band is micro pave (but the two outer rows of pave actually have fishtailing). If you look carefully, the melee are set with wee little prongs (as seen in Mrs. Salvo''s diagram) but there are also little tiny triangles cut out under the prong work.

Hard to see in pics. sigh.

Wband close-up shot.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
I'll try a better pic for you...

these aren't much help.
7.gif
boo

my future POV 2.jpg

bams0103

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 10:55:22 AM
Author: mela lu
Hey Bams!! in order to reply to a specific comment, make sure you click ''reply'' on that persons posting, then once you have your own reply windon open, click on ''Quote'' and it will make the other person''s comments appear.

You can highlight their comments if you want to draw attention to something by using the tools in the toolbar (above). Good luck!

To answer your question...

My Ering is bead set (with milgrain edges) and my wedding band is micro pave (but the two outer rows of pave actually have fishtailing). If you look carefully, the melee are set with wee little prongs (as seen in Mrs. Salvo''s diagram) but there are also little tiny triangles cut out under the prong work.

Hard to see in pics. sigh.
I DID IT!!

Mela lu I love, love, love your set. My e-ring is similar to yours and I''m in the process of finding a w-band. Do you have more pictures of your set or a thread you can point me to? Also, how wide are your bands?

Thanks!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Yay, more pics of mela''s wedding band! LOVE IT!!

Question, do you think if you had a ring with a surprise diamond (such as in the Legacy) that a wedding band like mela''s would scratch the surprise diamond? Or is there a bit of metal there to prevent this?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2007 9:21:40 AM
Author: bams0103
I was referring to the pave on the shank, not the center stone.
Right, but when she mentioned the prongs she was referring to the center stone, not the shank. LOL, that''s where I got confused.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Hi gals!

Thanks for the compliments!

To answer some questions:

1) my Engagement ring is about 2 mm thick and HAS a surprise diamond (similar to Tiffany''s) I''ve attached a profile pic at the bottom (but this is an OLD pic with the original diamond in it...prior to the upgrade). Moonwater - My rings dont rub at all! In fact, my halo sits nicely on top of my wedding band. It protects the surprise diamond. The only rubbing that *may* occur is on the underside of the halo which sits on my micropave wedding band. I have not noticed any wear and tear yet.
2.gif

2) My wedding band is 4mm thick.

3) Bams - if you click on my name (on my avitar) you will be directed to a page that has all my info. Look for ''all topics by this user'' and you''ll see all my threads with pics of both my rings. ~and some other stuff too~ This is a great trick that I use when I see something of someone''s that I like. I go searching through all their ''topics'' to read all about it!

I hope that helps!
12.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
forgot to upload this in my last post! hah.

Tiffany inspired Ering.

***Before upgraded stone***

Ring-profile-Net too.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results