shape
carat
color
clarity

Differences in white gold color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed that even after re-dipping, a few of my white gold pieces are not very white. I have a few white gold pieces that have never been redipped and they are a nice, bright white gold, where the ones I''ve just redipped are not much different than before I took them in, and there is a definite yellow cast to them. Kind of like D to about J if we can compare apples to oranges, LOL! Why is this? It''s annoying me. I want my white gold white, not dingy. Are there different alloys to dip white gold into? I thought it was all rhodium, but maybe there are different make-ups?

Thanks for any info.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
It probably didn''t start as a white enough alloy.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
The solution they dipped them in? Or the original setting?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Original setting.

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
Someone help please....why would you need to re-dip rings? I have several pieces that are 18K and have never turned yellow even after 20 years. Why do some go yellow?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Becaues the original ring wasn''t made white enough. And because nowdays whitegold is made cheaply like a lot of other things because it''s cheaper to make.

koko

Shiny_Rock
White gold is alloyed with Nickel, Zinc & Copper. The 14K. doesn''t turn out white enough, so it has to have a Rhodium plating. Rhodium is harder & whiter than platinum & is highly resistant to corrosion. Platinum is preferable, but for those who can''t afford it, white gold is the alternative. 18K white gold is whiter & doesn''t have to be rhodium-plated. I bought my 14K white gold wedding set at Shane Co. in Atlanta and they said I will have to have the Rhodium re-plated yearly on average, but they will do it free for life......[$$)]

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock

Thank you. I think when I get a different setting I''ll have it put in 18k white gold. There''s a setting I have my eye on. But I don''t want to do it unless it is going to be nice and bright white. I also don''t want to have to spend the time and energy to take it in every year to have it dipped if it is still not going to be bright white.

I have a friend with a platinum ring and I really don''t like the patina it gets. If I thought I would like it better, I''d just save up for it, but since I don''t, the white gold will suit me nicely. For once I like something better that actually doesn''t cost as much. That doesn''t happen very often.
Live well, laugh often, love much.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My platinum never gets a patina. I polish it every few months. I don''t give it time.

koko

Shiny_Rock
I was just in my jeweller''s store today, and he had a brochure for a company that''s making a new type of white gold that is shiny, and isn''t rhodium plated. I don''t know the name of the company, but the Jeweler is Mercer''s in Fayetteville, GA ph# 770-461-9812. It may come in 14K. I''ll have to check it out better when I go back in to pick up my jewelery that''s being repaired. I too prefer the look of white gold, and it''s easier to size & work with than platinum. Good Luck!!

koko

Shiny_Rock
I think I used a poor choice of words when I said white gold was for those who "can''t afford" platinum, because I also prefer the look of it; luckily, or I would have gotten the platinum.....however, my center stone would have been .50 carat instead of 1.15....LOL
25.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 9:58:21 PM
Author: koko
White gold is alloyed with Nickel, Zinc & Copper. The 14K. doesn't turn out white enough, so it has to have a Rhodium plating. Rhodium is harder & whiter than platinum & is highly resistant to corrosion. Platinum is preferable, but for those who can't afford it, white gold is the alternative. 18K white gold is whiter & doesn't have to be rhodium-plated. I bought my 14K white gold wedding set at Shane Co. in Atlanta and they said I will have to have the Rhodium re-plated yearly on average, but they will do it free for life......[$$)]

Is that right? 14K isn't as white as 18K? I thought it would be the other way around, since GOLD is yellow and the more white metal you alloy with it, the whiter it is going to get. 18K white gold has 6 parts alloy and 18 parts gold; 14K has 10 parts alloy and 14 parts gold. Surely 14K white gold would be whiter, since it contains less yellow gold?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I just read a whole bunch of stuff in one of the threads about the different platinum alloys. Sounds like it depends on the alloy how well it holds up and whether it scratches easily or gets a patina. I like white gold just fine, so assuming I can find what I want, it seems less complicated to me, and also easier on my wallet.

I got what you meant, Koko. No offense taken. Obviously, most of us do have a budget of some kind, whether it be $1,000 or $50,000. Most of us have to make some compromise, either in the metal or the size/quality of the stone (or in our case, BOTH, LOL!). I don''t think that''s a bad thing at all, we just have to focus on what is most important in our choice. The metal isn''t it for me, but I understand how it can be for someone else.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, by the way, Koko, thanks for the info about the brochure. When I''m ready to change settings I''ll give them a call and ask about the company.

koko

Shiny_Rock
I''m wondering if the 18K gold is alloyed with a whiter metal such as platinum or rhodium to overcome the yellow of the gold......whereas there may be less copper, etc. in it than in the 14K??

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 11:35:01 PM
Author: koko
I''m wondering if the 18K gold is alloyed with a whiter metal such as platinum or rhodium to overcome the yellow of the gold......whereas there may be less copper, etc. in it than in the 14K??

There are hundreds if not thousands of formulas for both.
You cant really make a blanket statement that will cover all the alloys in either.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
So, how should I go about finding the right alloy? I wonder if my jeweler will know what alloy the rings are made with? Seems like more info than the manufacturer might provide, but perhaps they could call to find out.

koko

Shiny_Rock
Lumpkin, I found it!! The new, shiny white gold that is not rhodium plated.... & is no maintenance
36.gif
.....it''s at www.precisewhitegold.com and it''s by a company called W.R. Cobb out of Rhode Island. This is the brochure I told you my jeweler had. Good Luck!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oooooo! Thanks! I did a quick check on their website. I am VERY interested!

lawgirl2831

Rough_Rock
Is that right? 14K isn''t as white as 18K? I thought it would be the other way around, since GOLD is yellow and the more white metal you alloy with it, the whiter it is going to get. 18K white gold has 6 parts alloy and 18 parts gold; 14K has 10 parts alloy and 14 parts gold. Surely 14K white gold would be whiter, since it contains less yellow gold?

I have the exact same question as Cinnabar. My logic was the same - is it wrong? Should I go for 18K??

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 11:17:27 AM
Author: lumpkin
Oooooo! Thanks! I did a quick check on their website. I am VERY interested!
Lumpkin, I gave them a call (it''s local for me). They were very nice and helpful. I have two more websites for you. they said these would fully explain everything. I hope they don''t just show the same things over and over again. www.cobballoys.com www.wrcobb.com I asked them quite a few questions, and I will be happy to give my findings to you.

This will have to be at a later time. They are sending me some catalogs and stuff so I can tell you what kind of things they sell. They only sell to jewelers (they are wholesalers), so you have to buy through a jeweler. I will have to get back to you as I am having a test run tomorrow, and I have to prep now.

Shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results