shape
carat
color
clarity

Difference between a trilliant and a trillium

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shay

Shiny_Rock
Hi Pricescopers.

My boyfriend and I saw a ring over christmas that I fell in love with. It was a triangular stone with pave set diamonds all around it. It looked like the trilliants I have seen around here except that the sizes seemed almost convex, they bulged out a little to make the stone look fatter. It was a stunning effect. The trilliants seem to be sharper and more triangular. Is there a difference to these 2 shapes (the jeweller called it a trillium) other than the shape? Is there a difference in sparkle or strength? Are the tips of the trilliant more likely to break? Is it a common shape?l, I''ve never seen anything like it before.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless it is some brand name... a few words seem to be used interchangeably for triangular cut gems and diamonds: trillion,trilliant and trillium allright
34.gif
There are several versions of triangluar cuts, but names do not appear consistently related to one or another, as far as I know.

The triangle in question was not a diamond, right ? If so, there is an endless number of cut versions among colored stones, no way to pin down exactly what this might be. The triangles with roundish sides are supposedly deeper cuts (which is a good thing - you dont want an overly shallow stone and triangles err of the thin side, I think). It's not too useful to talk about averages though with one stone in hand.

Just my 0.2, as usual
1.gif

b_ybs184aa.jpg
b_vsa240ag.jpg
b_ysa309aa.jpg

Shay

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Ana. The stone was a tanzanite, which I wouldnt buy anyway as I am a field researcher and it wouldn''t last a week
14.gif

But my boyfriend asked if I would like it as an engagement ring one day
36.gif
(woo hoo)
9.gif
and I said yes but with a diamond centre instead of the tanzanite. So I was trying to find out what to call the stone if he asks again... hopefully he will.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/27/2005 9:16:26 AM
Author: Shay
But my boyfriend asked if I would like it as an engagement ring one day
36.gif
(woo hoo)
9.gif
and I said yes but with a diamond centre instead of the tanzanite. So I was trying to find out what to call the stone if he asks again... hopefully he will.
Congratulation !
3.gif
It's great to hear *the word* no ?
9.gif

p8_09.jpg

BLINGQUEEN

Shiny_Rock
I''ve heard that if the stone had straight lines and sharper corners it was a trilliant. If the corners were more rounded they were called a trillian. That''s what a jeweler friend told me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results