shape
carat
color
clarity

Did your fiance pick out your ring for you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance recently described to one of his family members that our engagement was "painfully unromantic." LOL Neither of us are romantic people, so I didn''t take that as too much of an insult.

He has never, ever been one to pick out good gifts, nor was he very willing to put in any research into diamonds. I basically did all the research, found my own diamond and he came with me on the last viewing to write a check for the ring. And that was that.

What about you gals? Did your fiance pick your engagement ring, and were you happy with it? Did anyone here actually get a ring they disliked initially?

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I had found a couple of different pictures that I liked, and he pointed to one and said "that one". And that was that. So I guess we both picked it. I thought it was great though. It was the first big decision that we had made as a couple.

Miya03

Shiny_Rock
He took me to a store to look at rings that I liked, but he surprised me completely 8 months later. He picked out the ring himself, and I love it! It''s exactly what I would have picked out for myself.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
I saved a bunch of pictures from PS in a folder and told him I wanted something similar, with cryptic notes such as "thinner band than this," "like the swoopiness of this head," "want prongs like this," etc.

I also coached him through what types of cushions I liked, what the GIA report would categorize it as, etc. The only time we actually went to a diamond store was so I could try on the sizer to determine my ring size. It wasn''t terribly romantic to basically know what I was getting, but I''m not big on surprised and would rather be happy with what I got than have the surprise/romantic element!

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
We went shopping for one together, but he pointed out the ring we ended up buying. Good taste!

It has had a rework since then though. Had the diamond reset this year.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine did it all on his own, and did a great job.
9.gif

Not as good a job as I could have done...but that''s to be expected
2.gif

Still, I love seeing how proud he is when the women in our families compliment me on what a gorgeous diamond and ring it is, and I can tell them he did it all on his own.

LabRatPhD

Shiny_Rock
Gleam, we must be the same couple! My fiance does not pick out good gifts either and after our first year of dating, he told me to pick out my own gifts. For my ring, my fiance and I went to the jeweler together, I picked out the ring I wanted, and I was with my fiance when he paid. Yes, we too may be pretty unromantic, but it works for us and I suppose that is all that matters.
2.gif

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
We went to the jeweler together the first time and I showed a picture of the setting I wanted. I picked out the diamond, but never saw the finished ring until he proposed. The proposal was a complete surprise because I was told the ring wouldn''t be ready until 6 weeks after we got engaged, so I wasn''t expecting it yet AT ALL! So even though I picked out the diamond and setting, the proposal was a surprise and I didn''t see the finished product until we got engaged.

shertz1981

Shiny_Rock
We worked on it together. I knew (okay, FINE, I knew eventually!) that I wanted a Brian Gavin ring.

I picked out the setting I liked, and we looked at two stones within the agreed upon budget.

However, FI surprised me by getting info on a third, larger stone, which he then chose.

He''s more romantic than I am ... he surprised me with a proposal "moment" when the ring came, which was lovely.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
I dropped a few hints regarding things I didn''t like (marquis cut diamonds, colored stones, multiple stones) in an engagement ring. And he picked out my ring all by himself.

Early on, I was a bit worried and wanted to show him pictures, but he didn''t like that at all and finally told me, "I KNOW what I want YOU to wear! I am the one paying for it and I''ve heard you that you want to love it and wear it forever. PLEASE let me do this on my own and I promise that if you hate it, I will go with you to have it changed, but please give the the pleasure of researching the ring I am going to buy for my WIFE."

So in the end, I backed off and he asked a friend of mine to help him and pretty much all my friends and family conspired with him, regarding my ring and the engagement. It was a wonderful surprise and it was very romantic. AND I LOVE MY RING! and I know he is so proud of himself when people compliment it and I tell them he chose it by himself. It is exactly my style and so far (it will be a year next month that I''ve had it) I''ve never considered changing anything about it (size, setting, etc.).

On the other hand, I have two friends that got engaged last year as well and both have had their rings reset. I think it''s a coincidence that both chose their initial rings and now hate them, but honestly, to each his (or her) own. If I really disliked my ring, I would hate to wear it day in and day out.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
My DH picked out my e-ring, and I love it! I was actually unsure about the setting at first, but once it was on my hand, I became totally enamored of it. He did a wonderful job picking out a gorgeous EC for me, which was exactly what I wanted.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 3:30:33 PM
Author:Gleam
What about you gals? Did your fiance pick your engagement ring, and were you happy with it? Did anyone here actually get a ring they disliked initially?
He picked it out because he couldn't have it custom made in time (right before Christmas, family issues, etc) so he grabbed the closest ring that somewhat resembled what I wanted, and that was it.

All was fine and good until I went wedding band shopping. And that's when I discovered that the only bands that looked ok with it were super thick, and together the shanks would have been around 8mm thick. Um. I went home very close to tears.

So we got it reset to what I originally wanted. And I love it now. And it goes great with what I wanted for a wedding band.

But I did pick the two stones for him to decide between...and he picked the stone...and that was the most important part.

ETA: But I'm also the girl that owns around 7 erings...

happydreams

Shiny_Rock
we went ring shopping once, and once he had an idea what type of stone i wanted (emerald cut, baby!), he got it by himself.
I love my ring, but sometimes wish I went with an elaborate setting. LIke a Tacori. I might change it in a few years.
After the dust has settled from the wedding, honeymoon, etc.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 7:22:44 PM
Author: LabRatPhD
Gleam, we must be the same couple! My fiance does not pick out good gifts either and after our first year of dating, he told me to pick out my own gifts. For my ring, my fiance and I went to the jeweler together, I picked out the ring I wanted, and I was with my fiance when he paid. Yes, we too may be pretty unromantic, but it works for us and I suppose that is all that matters.
2.gif

LOL Sounds like our fiances have a lot in common!

NakedFinger

Brilliant_Rock
I did a lot of it myself. The NYC diamond district is a block from my office, so it did make more sense for me to go to appointment after appointment looking at diamonds and designing the setting. However, I never saw the fished setting or the completed e-ring which he picked up when he paid for it. So we still have the "surprise element".

Honestly, it would break my heart to ask to get a ring re-done, and have to take my e-ring off to get it fixed once I was engaged. So I think doing it together is "safer".

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
we had looked together & i had shown him a ton of photos. all of solitaires b/c when we looked, he said only those "look" like engagement rings. then after we decided to wait a little bit to get engaged. he secretly goes out, buys a ring (VERY diff from a solitaire), and proposes! i love my ring but would have never chosen it, esp b/c of his stated pref for solitaires! funny how it works out sometimes.

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2009 3:30:33 PM
Author:Gleam
My fiance recently described to one of his family members that our engagement was ''painfully unromantic.'' LOL Neither of us are romantic people, so I didn''t take that as too much of an insult.

He has never, ever been one to pick out good gifts, nor was he very willing to put in any research into diamonds. I basically did all the research, found my own diamond and he came with me on the last viewing to write a check for the ring. And that was that.

Ditto...I researched, picked my stone, setting and FI paid for it. I know FI would''ve just bought a maul ring, and I didn''t want him to do that, seeing as how we could''ve gotten a significantly better deal online. So he agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results