shape
carat
color
clarity

did you say neon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Neon. It''s a term often used, and I wondered how one actually determines if a gem''s colour is neon. I know copper bearing gems are often neon but not necessarily and some stones which are described as neon are not copper bearing. Is neon the same as vivid or is it a combination of qualities or something completely separate? Pala have a whole page of Neon Tourmalines so, is there is some way, or even a standard, by which we can actually define the quality "neon"?

I''m sure this has would have been discussed previously but couldn''t find any thread when I searched.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Some terms used to described gemstones, like "neon", "blue", "vivid", "dark", etc. are qualitative terms.

Other terms, like "carat", "millimeter", "round" and "aluminum oxide" are quantitative terms.

You can ask for precise definitions of quantitative terms, but not qualitative terms. Qualitative terms, like much of our language, are loose and fuzzy.

Having said that, a gem''s color is often referred to as neon if it bears some resemblance to a neon light, i.e., appearing to glow from within.

The only way to actually determine if a gem''s color is neon is to take a poll -- if enough people use the term "neon" to describe it, then it''s neon.

It is possible that the term "neon" could be redefined in quantitative terms. A clever gemologist might find optical properties shared by many colors we often refer to as "neon". This happened with the term "gold" for example. Many different gold-colored materials were once referred to as "gold". Then "gold" was redefined as referring to a "natural kind" -- an element with the atomic number 79 and having a defined atomic mass, melting point, etc.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/8/2009 6:03:55 AM
Author: morecarats
Some terms used to described gemstones, like ''neon'', ''blue'', ''vivid'', ''dark'', etc. are qualitative terms.

Other terms, like ''carat'', ''millimeter'', ''round'' and ''aluminum oxide'' are quantitative terms.

You can ask for precise definitions of quantitative terms, but not qualitative terms. Qualitative terms, like much of our language, are loose and fuzzy.

Having said that, a gem''s color is often referred to as neon if it bears some resemblance to a neon light, i.e., appearing to glow from within.

The only way to actually determine if a gem''s color is neon is to take a poll -- if enough people use the term ''neon'' to describe it, then it''s neon.

It is possible that the term ''neon'' could be redefined in quantitative terms. A clever gemologist might find optical properties shared by many colors we often refer to as ''neon''. This happened with the term ''gold'' for example. Many different gold-colored materials were once referred to as ''gold''. Then ''gold'' was redefined as referring to a ''natural kind'' -- an element with the atomic number 79 and having a defined atomic mass, melting point, etc.
That''s the definition I use.

I also would describe something as "neon" if it holds its "glow" in low lighting. For example, a good Paraiba Tourmaline will not only appear neon in daylight but should look like somebody has lit an internal torch in shaded incandescent lighting. I recently took photos of some of my Paraibas in incandescent lighting and then again under the table in the same lighting. The glow was really evident. If you search on my name you should be able to find the photos if you''re interested.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Though I''m far from an expert I would say that the "glowy" quality is what I have generally seen referred to as neon. Though I''ve also seen the term used for very bright, fluorescent type colors that may or may not glow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neon is color so vivid that it appears to glow. It is color without any hint of grey, brown, or unwanted yellow. Burma rubies and Paraiba Tourmalines are famous for their neon glow. I have seen gems classified as "vivid" but are not neon, so I don't think they're the same thing. It's really hard to capture neon color in a photograph, you have to see it in person to understand why it is called neon. It is like the gem has an internal electric source and glows like a neon sign.

That being said, I don't think this is an accepted term by the trade, but used by gemstone collectors to describe extremely vivid color.

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your replies.

What got me thinking about this was the 2.39 ct Afghan Tourmaline from John Dyer, bought months ago, and which I finally got to see only recently. I immediately thought neon when I saw the colour and I had thought as you do TL

Date: 11/8/2009 10:22:38 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

That being said, I don''t think this is an accepted term by the trade, but used by gemstone collectors to describe extremely vivid color.
and like you Morecarats, I thought it was a loose qualititve term.
Pala devotes a seperate gem section to neon tourmaline and on other pages there, some tourmalines are described as being "slightly neon" To be clear, I''m not criticising Pala, just interested to see that they use the term so specifically.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neon is when a stone glows as though it is lit from within. Sometimes, a stone with intense saturation is so vivid that it also appears to glow, and as such, is sometimes described as neon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results