shape
carat
color
clarity

diamonds wear away platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jasonguard

Rough_Rock
My fiancee is wearing a platinum semi-bezel set solitaire engagement ring and we''re searching for the perfect wedding band. Personally, I don''t think she really needs or even wants another ring next to the one she''s got, but she doesn''t want to buck tradition. And I think she''s not about to turn down any entitlement to high end jewelry. So, we''ve been out shopping once or twice.

Now, she''s decided that she doesn''t want to see additional metal on her finger next to the platinum e-ring (which has a sorta thick band with a tapered shank) because it would make the stone look off center and simply be too much metal for her tastes. I actually posted pics of the ring on another Rocky Talk posting titled "about to buy... is this a bargain."

Anyhow, the prerequisite of minimal metal led us away from metal bands or channel set diamonds. The band she liked most was a 2mm eternity band that was basically one row of tiny square pave set diamonds all the way around her finger. In fact, it may have been just under 2mm. Now, a competing jeweler is saying that the pave set string of diamonds will slowly cut into the platinum and that the pave set diamonds may will fall out due to constant friction. Is this good advice? Should we go with channel set? What is a traditional pairing with the ering I described?

What do you all recommend? And if you think this wedding band/ering combination is fine, where can I get it for cheap?

Cheers.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i dont know that a forever pave ring and cheap go hand in hand...

that said, diamonds CAN eat platinum, so if this ring is placed squarely flush against the metal and the girdles stick out and touch the platinum, then yes it can eat away at it, a few gals have had that problem here with their sets. also pave is NOT the most securely set, some people have had problems with it and some have not, depends on craftsmanship and also daily wear and tear and care.

you could do a 4 pronged melee setting somewhat like mine where the diamonds are more protected OR get a melee bead set/pave ring where there is a very thin edge of metal raised up around them (like channel set but not the thick channel everyone thinks of, a super super thin line) that would create that metal to metal rather than diamonds to metal ring.

whatever you decide, good luck!

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
From a woman''s point of view I totally understand what she is looking for and I think you are headed in the right direction. Small dimaond eternity would do the trick very nicely and not take away from her ring (and still achieve the married look!). Just make sure it is very well made and the edge of the diamonds in the band are not in direct contact with the ER. It can be done. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results