shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in New York

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nebula

Rough_Rock
Folks,
Would much appreciate your thoughts on buying an engagement ring in the US (NY).
I live in Ireland but will be in new york for a weekend in late february 05.
Basically, while i think there is good value to be had online, im not sure how shipping internationally to ireland would work so i am thinking about the bricks and mortar shops.
Obviously, tifanys is the most popular and expensive, but i dont have a huge budget (~2000$) and your definitely just paying for the name.
I am hoping to get a 0.5 carat good quality diamond single soltaire ring in maybe a round or princess cut.
As i understand from this web site i can get a list of jewelers who will supply a diamond as per the search criteria.
Im staying on Lexington avenue in new york so can i just print out the details from here and walk in off the street and ask for the diamond? is it as simple as that?
Also why do people get independent appraisals of diamonds, should a GIA cert not suffice?
Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

nebula

Rough_Rock
Thanks,
if anyone else has any experiences of buying a diamond in new york, please let me know.
Also, is it standard practice in the US to pay the advertised prices or can discounts be negotiated??

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Several PS members live in NY and have sucessfully purchased diamonds there--hope they chime in. That said, are you at liberty to search the PS Diamond engine, find the stone you want, then contact one of the vendors in NY and arrange to have the stone/ring ready for you when you arrive? E-vendors/brick & morters that come to mind who are NY based are: Good Old Gold, Engagement Rings Direct, and Diamonds by Lauren. Forgive me however, this list is not exhaustive nor meant to exclude other vendors who do not immediately come to mind.

Happy searching. Cheers

Sharon

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You probably could have a fun trip on the Long Island Railroad to visit Good Old Gold. It would be an entertaining little experience. He has all the neat tools. No doubt, they would give you good directions to their store.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results