shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamonds in her nose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter, 15, and a good kid, wants a nose ring. Specifically, a tiny, classy, diamond stud. I haven''t a clue about nose rings, and I am seeing curved and straight styles..what to get and why?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
You want something curved on the inside. Anything else really risks falling out or getting stuck (I had to cut mine off with wire cutters...not pleasant).

Personally, I love nose rings, and I think it''s great that you''re so cool about it. (My parents'' rule was "No hoops and no anchors".)

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Please make sure its done by a business that has good referances and check with the better business beau before going to get this done,also make sure the person doing the work has experiance and has done several nose piercings...not just an apprentice.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My daughter wanted one, too. So she got hers done once she hit 18 (I wouldn''t let her do it before). But she found it annoying to maintain and it didn''t heal well. Even though she loved the look of it, she took it out and let the hole close up.

She had a platinum bezel-set diamond stud that was the shape of a J.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had mine pierced a few years ago and it got infected. I had pulled my top off over my head on the day it was pierced and it got caught on the stud and it flew out. I thought I was going to cry it hurt so much!

I couldn''t put up with the infection so I let it heal up. I have a scar on my nose now and it looks like a spot
7.gif

If she really wants it done make sure its done by a reputable person. The curved posts are better than the straight ones.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I had my nose pierced for years... Just to let you know, IT HURTS!!! (Tell your daughter) That didn''t stop me though. I had what they call a "snail". It''s a little post, that has a curve at the end of it. It sits flush against the inside of the nose so nothing pokes the tender inside of the nasal passage. If you go to a reputable piercing facility they will direct you to the correct type of jewelry. Just an FYI to your daughter: be sure to keep it very clean. Flush it with a very light saline solution (1/8 tsp of iodized salt to 8 ounces of water) Good luck!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all, make sure she gets it pierced by a reputable piercer and not some random person with a Claire''s style piercing gun.

As for the stud, definitely get her one that is curved inside. But just so you know, it''s easier to clean the piercing if she has a hoop first. My piercer always recommended hoops while it heals and then switching to a stud. Here''s a pic of the type of stud you should get:

nosestudsdfasdf.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I had my nose pierced when I was 19 years old. I had a teensy tiny (fake of course) diamond stud. The only problem was that it had a tiny ball attached to the end which you couldn''t unscrew so I had to pull it through the hole everytime I took it out. OUCH! I would often get it caught on my blanket and night and that is NOT a pleasant way to wake up.

I would say get what is most comfortable for your daughter. And make sure she knows that it will leave a scar FOREVER. I have a little dot on my nose to this day. Looks like a blackhead.

I always hated my nose (it was rather ethinic looking) so that''s why I got it pierced. I guess I didn''t feel bad about putting a hole in a part of my body that I wasn''t thrilled about. Years later I had rhinoplasty and I love almost everything about my new shnoz (expect that little scar from the piercing!)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
There are employers who do not permit facial piercings. My employer is one of those. Just so she understands that it could have a consequence down the road. At age 15, this may not be of concern to her
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 12:55:05 PM
Author: risingsun
There are employers who do not permit facial piercings. My employer is one of those. Just so she understands that it could have a consequence down the road. At age 15, this may not be of concern to her
2.gif
I agree; I wonder what it looks like if the nose ring is taken out??

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
To answer the last question, I have very pale skin with lots of freckles, and after having my nose ring out for over a year, there is a small divot where it was, but no real visible blemish. It could be different for people with other skin types though. However, I do have a bump on the inside of my nose, but it doesn''t bother me or cause me any problems. The reason I took mine out is that I am a teacher, and I thought that going on job interviews with a nose ring could put me at a disadvantage in an already difficult job market. But, at 15 she will have plenty of time to enjoy it before she has to worry about that!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I would really think twice about letting my daughter get a nose piercing at the young age of 15. I think that anything that could turn into a scar or blemish should it get infected may not be the best decision to be made before the age of 18.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all, we have been discussing this over a year now, and she did want the piercing while younger because she figures she will have to remove it when she enters the job market.
I said no to the navel as her weight changes quite a bit, and my own did not heal well through multiple piercing attempts, and she does not want any further ear piercings than the two she has.

Swingirl, where did your daughter find a platinum one? Very curious..

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I had my nose pierced [also a small fake-diamond stud], when I was 16. Obviously everyone has different experiences, skin, and reactions, but I found it hurt far less than getting my ears pierced. I had it done by a VERY reputable piercer in my area, and she definitely knew her stuff.

My stud was shaped like the picture upthread shows. I didn''t find it uncomfortable at all, but I did get bored with it after awhile, and took it out when I was 19. I don''t have even a tiny dot as a scar, and I know many people who had nose piercings who also do not have scars. Again, everyone is different.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I found a place in England that made platinum and diamond nose screws in varying thicknesses (gauges). I looked a lot and since my daughter has a nickel allergy the platinum was necessary. It was about $100. Sorry but I don''t remember the name. It seems like there are a lot more today than their were a few years ago.

I think my daughter was too impatient and didn''t let the hole heal before she changed from the original stud to the screw. Noses heal way more slowly. Once my daughter took hers out it healed up with hardly a mark. All her friends who had various piercings eventually took them out. They end up being more maintenance than most want to deal with. And not everyone''s skin heals well.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because of the location you can really not even tell I have a hole when I take my nose stud out. It looks like a pore, really. My nose healed very nicely-way quicker than my ears or belly button.

In fact, some people can barely tell when it''s in. In the last month two separate people have asked me when I got my nose pierced. I got it pierced 8 years ago! They both hadn''t even noticed, and one of them was like "Well, you must never wear it then." I told her "Nope-I wear it every day!" It''s not the tiniest stud, either-I''ve seen way tinier.

It''s very doubtful that there will be any adverse effects, and if she has to take it out when she enters the real world, oh well. She''ll have many years to enjoy it!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I think small stud nose piercings can be really cute. My only word of caution is to make sure that whatever school she attends allows for nose piercings in the dress code. The dress code where I teach does not allow them, so the kids either have to take them out or keep them covered with bandaids all day. I don''t think much of the rule, but it''s there, so they must abide. If it''s not in her school''s dress code, then it seems like she''s good to go.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
She is switching from a Catholic school to a public, and the nose ring is fine....and I will admit, I always wanted one myself, but never thought my nose was cute enough for one...humm...a woman in my office with a nose ring just got promoted to postmaster... maybe a twofer at the piercers?

Swingirl, If you run across a source for the platinum ones, let me know? Would make a nice sweet 16 present...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results